Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Beginner

Default 1st timer has a couple questions, please

We (parents + 3 kids - 10, 13 & 16) are planning our first cruise, probably 7 night caribbean out of Bayonne this summer. Our main questions are:
1. Can we avoid any formal dress requirements so we can just relax all week? I don't care if that means we end up in the buffet or Johnny Rockets for every meal, so long as we arent treated like the plague. Hey, its just that on vacation, we like to RELAX, strictly shorts, jeans, tshirts.
2. Is internet access really 50 cents a MINUTE????
3. We are figuring 2 adjoining inside rooms instead of a suite (so we will have 2 bathrooms). Make sense?
Thanks for any and all suggestions!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Admiral

Default Re: 1st timer has a couple questions, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b
We (parents + 3 kids - 10, 13 & 16) are planning our first cruise, probably 7 night caribbean out of Bayonne this summer. Our main questions are:
1. Can we avoid any formal dress requirements so we can just relax all week? I don't care if that means we end up in the buffet or Johnny Rockets for every meal, so long as we arent treated like the plague. Hey, its just that on vacation, we like to RELAX, strictly shorts, jeans, tshirts.
2. Is internet access really 50 cents a MINUTE????
3. We are figuring 2 adjoining inside rooms instead of a suite (so we will have 2 bathrooms). Make sense?
Thanks for any and all suggestions!!!!!
1. Yes, you can avoid the formal night by eating in the Windjammer buffett, Johnny Rockets, or ordering room service (which is free except for midnight - 5am).

2. If you buy the internet usage by the minute, it is over 50 cents a minute. You can purchase a package of minutes for much less.

3. Yes, makes sense. You can also do adjorning oceanview.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:39 AM
Captain

Default Internet Rates

Unless they have changed their pricing in the last two months, internet access is 55 cents per minute. As Blueliner said, you can also buy a package. Be aware that the internet service is slow, at best. If your children use the 'net much, you could have a pretty large bill at the end of the cruise.
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:59 AM
Admiral

If you guys pack one pair of dockers and your lovely spouse packs a sundress, you can eat in the dining room..... just saying. It is really nice.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:19 AM
First Mate

We like casual too. Never do formal. On the first night all dining is casual- there may be many people who have yet to get their luggage, so you can go to your dining room. After that we eat at the Windjammer. The only dress code there is no wet swimsuits, you must wear a cover up of some kind.
The food is very similar to what is on the dr menu, lots of choices and you can eat at your own pace.
Old May 21st, 2009, 10:20 AM
Captain

You are going to have so much fun on your cruise. Just be forewarned --- you'll be hooked!

Formal Nights:
We also don't care to dress up for dinner but in case you change your mind, the "formal" clothes tend to run the gamet from ball gowns to simple sundresses and dockers as dina said. Not everyone will be glammed out. And shame on anyone treating you like the plague b/c of your outfit. That is much more rude than being "underdressed".

Internet:
Skip the internet. It's expensive and the service is slowwww which eats up the time very quickly. Unless you have a compelling need to be connected, consider this a vacation from the computer.

Cabin:

Get the two rooms!! Two bathrooms is heaven compared to a suite when you have teens. You'll be so glad you did.

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:04 AM
Beginner

Default All your help greatly appreciated!

Thanks for all the good advice. Dockers sounds fine ... just so long as we dont have to pack suits, etc, especially traveling with 3 kids. Simpler is better, less is more!

My son will experience internet withdrawal ....

I just wonder if my Blackberry will work on the cruise??? I'll have to check with Verizon on that one. If it does, at least I'll be able to do my work emails ... not that I want to, but gotta pay for the cruise (or start paying for the next one).
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:23 AM
Captain

Default Internet Withdrawl

Quote:
You may want to wait until you get to a port, then go to an Internet Cafe onshore. I've done that several times. As I recall, the last time I got 30 minutes of time for $3.00. You will usually find these places very near the dock. Have a great time!
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:12 AM
Admiral

Default Re: All your help greatly appreciated!

Quote:
Thanks for all the good advice. Dockers sounds fine ... just so long as we dont have to pack suits, etc, especially traveling with 3 kids. Simpler is better, less is more!

I just wonder if my Blackberry will work on the cruise??? I'll have to check with Verizon on that one. If it does, at least I'll be able to do my work emails ... not that I want to, but gotta pay for the cruise (or start paying for the next one).
you will be using the ships phone service which means roaming charges. it gets very expensive. I believe the last price I saw was $2.49 a minute and .50 a text. Your better off not turning it on at all while on board. You might get phone service at port. I know I don't get charged big fees and get service in San Juan and St. Thomas. Not sure what your ports are. Contact your phone company and ask.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:33 AM
Admiral

for casual dining in the dining room dockers type pants and a nice polo or plain cotton t-shirt will be fine for your kids and your spouse, same for you too, dockers type pants and a nice blouse, i love to just throw on a nice sundress and a pair of flat sandals. As for formal nights, if you choose to dine in the main dining rooms just add a nice dress shirt and a tie for your spouse and kids and for you a nice dress, yes you can do your sundress with heels and maybe a dressy sweater. Just so you know there is a charge to eat at Johnny Rockets.
IF you choose not to dine in the main dining room please have the courtesy to inform your waitstaff that you will not be dining with them so that they will not wait for you.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, you don't need a jacket, a shirt and tie will do.

Johnny Rockets is now $5.95 a meal that would add up.

Internet, I agree go to internet cafes, very cheap. I got no service on my Blackberry.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalchump
Yes, you don't need a jacket, a shirt and tie will do.

Johnny Rockets is now $5.95 a meal that would add up.

Internet, I agree go to internet cafes, very cheap. I got no service on my Blackberry.
Your "anti-RCI" bias is showing again. The charge for Johnny Rockets is $4.95 a person.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old May 24th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Mike go with two cabins!!! Two bathrooms is a must with a family of five.

Enjoy your cruise! 8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas x2
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Mike,

I would assume you will be going on either the 5 night Bermuda or 9 night Caribbean (many including Bermuda), Itineraries. There are no 7 night itineraries. The most popular one of the latter (and the one we have sailed before and are doing again next month is:

Bayonne
One day at sea
Bermuda
One day at sea
St. Maarten
St. Thomas]
San Juan
Two days at Sea
Bayonne

If you want to use your cell phone, I as have the others, strongly recommend waiting until you reach a port. I too have Verizon. When visiting Bermuda, St. Maarten, and St. Thomas it's $1.99 per minute. In Puerto Rico it's $.69 a minute. Make sure the Caribbean is part of your plan (it doesn't cost anything to add it).

If you want to see what the Exporer of the Seas is like (along with its sister ships), I most strongly recommend you visit Voyager-Class.com

It's an unbelievable private site by a young Frenchman by the name of Moisescot and you talk about "anticipation, " it will provide plenty of that. It has to be the most indepth current website about any family of ships ever built (from builder's drawsings, through constructions and the interiors (including staterooms). Just unbelievable.

Good luck,

Todd