Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2009, 04:59 PM
Beginner

Default Formal Night

I am thinking of renting a tux on board for formal night. Has anyone done this? is it expensive? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
Captain

Default Re: Formal Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmirdc
I am thinking of renting a tux on board for formal night. Has anyone done this? is it expensive? Any help would be appreciated.
The rental is going to be around $100 bucks when all is said and done. Personally, I've never rented one (I own one). You will be perfectly presentable if you wear a suit in the dining room on formal nights. Don't stress out about a tux - just enjoy the cruise.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Sometimes the formalware stores will have a once or twice a year sale, selling off both new and used tux's, great deals. The price of a new one is almost the same as renting, so keep an eye out for one of those sales. Otherwise, a dark suit works just as well.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

We were asked to sit at the Captain's Table, this was an issue since my husband decided to go causal.

He is very tall, we rented a Tux, it was expensive but they tailored one to fit him and they delivered to the cabin.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:34 AM
Captain

I think I will rent one next time I cruise. I've had friends who have done so and really like not having to drag a suit on board with them. The tux, shoes and everything are hanging in their closet when they arrive on the ship the first day...kinda nice. I think you can also rent them once you are on board if you haven't done so before your cruise.

Also, tux looks great for your formal night pics. Suit is nice but nothing looks quite as good for guys as a tux in my opinion.
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

I rented a tux on my cruise a few weeks ago. Since I was traveling to London to pick up the ship, I figured I could save space in the suitcase by not having to pack a suit. I got a tux with two shirts, a vest with a formal tie, and a bow tie. I also rented shoes. Everything was hanging in the closet and everything fit perfect. I will definitely rent a tux on my next cruise.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:10 PM
Captain

For 10 cruises, I've dragged my tux with me. It's heavy and cumbersome and I don't want/need anymore tux pics. I am now going tux free on my next 3 cruises!!!!!!
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Old June 1st, 2009, 04:25 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to sanuk4u
Default Re: Formal Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmirdc
Well, it was really nice to see folks in tux's. Definitely do it if YOU want to.

But, what our definition of formal is totally different for others. There were many couples that think formal night is a clean button up and wrinkled slacks and sandals. Some women thought it was a night club rather than dinner formal. Needless to say, I lost some my appetite when I saw more meat from a couples "tail" as oppose to my lobster tail dinner.

I love it when everyone gets dressed up the right way, it made it so much more for me.

Happy Sailings!