CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   SEAT HOGS (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/365065-seat-hogs.html)

panda3105 June 4th, 2009 09:51 AM

SEAT HOGS

:) :( :evil: Can anybody come up with a solution to the "seat hog" situation? Apart from the insipid signs that say "No reserving of seats" there is no enforcement of this, so that the towels lie baking in the sun for hours at the poolside. Perhaps a color coding system with different towels in the am/pm?
It is one of the most aggravating things on the ships
Aaargh!!
panda

Ron June 4th, 2009 11:15 AM

It doesn't seem that anyone has come up with a solution for years now, so not too likely they will in the near future.
The cruise lines are pretty much guilty of having rules and regulations for this and that, which are designed for the benefit of the majority but always seem to lack the testicles to enforce their own rules.
Most people use common courtesy but some adhere to the old " the rules apply to everyone but me " thing and screw up the works for everyone else.
I look for some lines in the not too distant future to start charging for chairs--that way if people want to hog them for 4 hours while they sleep, eat, gamble, etc, at least the hogs will have to pay. :wink: :wink:

blueliner June 4th, 2009 11:53 AM

Charging for chairs? I can only imagine the hoopla THAT would garner on the boards, considering the major uproar here after RCI mearly stopped putting mints on the pillows!

Here is my simple solution to the towels on the chairs problem. If someone has saved a chair with only a towel, and it sits there for more than an hour, I simply remove the towel and place it in the "used towels" bin and take the chair. I don't touch anyones personal belongings, and I wait ATLEAST an hour if not longer to make sure they are not just in the pool for a dip. The rules clearly state no reserving chairs. Most of the time I'm finished with the chair before they ever come back. A few times someone will come along a few hours later and ask if I saw their towel, I just say no and go back to reading. Only once has another cruiser come back and tried to claim their chair back, I told them the chair was empty and I wasn't getting up, as I reminded them of the rules and pointed to the sign.

thecruisequeen June 4th, 2009 02:31 PM

Long live the Chair Hogs!! :twisted: LOL :roll:

When I get to the pool area and no loungers are availabe in my area I flag down one of the pool attendants and kindly ask would it possible to get a lounger for me. The attendant usually finds an empty lounger on the deck above and brings it down for me and places it in my spot.

The pool attendants should be looking around and noticing the empty loungers with a towel or book on it and taking note as to how long the lounger was empty.
Something should be done because cruisers are sick and tired of getting to the pool area on sea days after 10am and all the loungers are taken by towels, books and beach bags. :x

:-P :D :)

Trip June 4th, 2009 09:35 PM

I hate that the passengers have to be the chair police, instead of the crew...we are up early, and always get the spots we like, but, see the chair hogs do their thing!

I have to say though, that if I came later, and asked about, the "never sat in chairs," I would have no compunction about asking to have the items removed , or remove them myself...When the hogs come back, too bad, and I would, tell them just that!

EMG June 4th, 2009 09:52 PM

I'm not guilty of doing the all day thing but; I've seen it happen. I have no problem taking towels and putting them in the bin and taking chairs that haven't been sat in for hours. I also don't mind having a talk with the person who comes back to claim "their" chair.

I'm not a sun person, so after about an hr, that's enough for me.

Y.. June 5th, 2009 06:41 AM

I was on"edited for content" yesterday (under the RC message board). There is a huge thread on this topic "Pool Police Attack" I think it was titled. It would appear that RC IS finally noticing that this is a huge problem and they are trying to stop it.

It's about time RC that you woke up and smelled the coffee on this one.

Y..

Trip June 5th, 2009 01:49 PM

When the chair hogs come back and rant like crazy people, and don't just slink away with embarrasment, it amazes me..And to continuously vent, when called on this, it just boggles my mind!

The rage, seems so incrongruous to the issue, and you have to know, that this rage, must be consistent in their lives. I don't mean to sound like a shrink, but, how can they not get it at all? And acting defensive about it, only adds to the hullabaloo.

I wish someone who hogs the chairs, would have the guts to come here and post, to try and explain themselves? I see the flames now:):)

Mike L June 5th, 2009 02:29 PM

Chair Hogs

I have no problem moving towels or matching up a pair flip flops when one pair is holding two chairs. LOL

I have only been challenged once and it was a short conversation 8)

addicted2 June 5th, 2009 03:51 PM

When my husband and I spend time poolside we never leave our chairs unattended. One of us stays while the other gets drinks or uses the restroom. Granted we don't get in the pools (we have one at home at don't like public pools anyway.) When done we move our towels and leave the chairs empty. If we are leaving for awhile and coming back an hour or so later we leave our chairs empty and just find new ones when we come back. To bad more people can't be as considerate of others who want to enjoy their vacations and spend time in the sun too. We have also seen many people who are finished with their chairs and are not kind enough to take their used towels to the bin, they leave them on the chairs and that mistakingly leaves the impression that the chairs are still being used.

IloveVegas June 8th, 2009 02:09 PM

I wish that when people are done with their chair(s), that they would take thier used towel with them and put them in the bin. So many times I have seen people pack up to leave and take everything except the towel. So now the chair has a towel on it and newcomers won't sit there.

How hard is it to take the used towel with you? Maybe you should have to sign the towel out and sign the towel in?? IDK. Something needs to be done. :-?

Trip June 8th, 2009 02:51 PM

Even when this type of person is on land...they just don't get it:(

addicted2 June 8th, 2009 08:08 PM

When we on Liberty last September you had to show your Sea Pass card to get towels and supossedly would be charges $20 each if they were not returned. Guess what there was no problem getting chairs poolside. Of course if you left it there to long someone could always take your towel and you would lose your chair and be charged $20 too. So I guess there are problems with that plan to. These were the blue RC towels and not the pale yellowish ones found on some of the other ships.

Dave Beers June 9th, 2009 11:06 AM

Apparently on at least one RCI ship, they are starting to enforce the rules. The attendants are putting stickers with the time on them on chairs which have been tagged with the telltale marks of the chair hog... a sandal or paperback book, etc. They then come back a bit later and if the chair is still empty they bag up the items and take them away.

rdlouhy June 9th, 2009 11:31 AM

Hooray.

IloveVegas June 9th, 2009 03:20 PM

Good. They should do that on more ships!

Surfguyxxx1 June 13th, 2009 11:27 AM

It is amazing the "nads" one aquires as one get older. Years ago, I would never think to removing a 6 hour unmoved towel. Today, you snooze you loose is my philosophy.
Sorry, but you've been gone quite awhile so go tell the pool steward to help you straighten it out. I'd be glad to tell him how long you've been gone. :D

patsea June 21st, 2009 09:56 AM

I have seen people in the solarium on the Explorer put down stuff on 5 chairs in the sun and on 5 chairs in the shade. They sat in the sun chairs and when they were cooked they got up and went on the shade chairs. You had to sign in the for towels but these people just put down beach bags. Once I had laid in a chair for hours and when I thought I'd melt I got up for a dip in the pool and then to the hot tub. I really was gone about 30 minutes and when I got back someone had removed my things and sat in my chair. I understand the chair hog stuff but I had my personal belongings there with my ipod, etc. To remove my things was rediculous. So I see it from both sides. Over an hour is excessive but who are you really staring at a chair to check that it has been empty for an hour or more? I don't have that kind of time.

Winnterpeg July 29th, 2009 12:38 AM

I just sit where I want. If someone comes I tell them the chairs got shuffled around..and I'm sure it was empty. If they go into a little fit...I simply walk. It's worked every time...no-one ever comes. Weird eh?

VegasCrossfire September 8th, 2009 05:39 PM

I hope RCI has their new policy in force next month when we cruise. Does anyone know if they are enforcing it on Mariner? I always get very upset over the fact we cannot find a place to sit. We do't go to the pool area until we are ready to sit there for awhile. Once I moved someone's towel (we had been watching it for well over an hour and the person was nowhere to be seen). When they came back, they were livid and started a scene! Luckily, someone else got up so we just moved to the other seats. After reading this, next time I will not be so quick to get up...they can find another place to sit.

dave 3261 September 19th, 2009 12:22 AM

They were enforcing the rule on the Explorer in April much to some passengers dismay. One lady was really getting loud with one of the pool patrol guys.

Maybe thats why the night life was a little dull, everybody had to get to sleep early so they could wake up at 6am and hog all the pool chairs.

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2009
RCI Explorer of the Seas, January 2010

Manuel September 21st, 2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Beers
Apparently on at least one RCI ship, they are starting to enforce the rules. The attendants are putting stickers with the time on them on chairs which have been tagged with the telltale marks of the chair hog... a sandal or paperback book, etc. They then come back a bit later and if the chair is still empty they bag up the items and take them away.

I hope they start to do that on all RCI ships.

TJ

Euphonic October 3rd, 2010 02:47 PM

I can also see both sides. If I am going to the pool for a swim, I want to be able to come back to my seat. Also, if my companion is up in the room getting ready, I would like them to be able to sit next to me. So, I think passanges should be able to save a seat for the person who is with them, as long as they are going to be using it in a reasonable amount of time like 20 to 30 minutes. same with saving while you dip in the pool. but, I agree that anything over an hour is just too much and I wouldnt have a problem moving someones stuff. But, I also agree with the comment of who has time to watch 1 chair for an hour? seems obsessive to me. lol

sistagoldenhair October 3rd, 2010 03:12 PM

Are there really people who stand around for a hour staring at chairs to see if anyone comes back to them? I can't imagine doing that. I am a late sleeper, so I know that on sea days by the time I get out there it will be slim pickins at best. I usually end up in the shade or in some nook or crany of the ship, no where near the pool, until some chairs open up in the good neighborhood ;)

Euphonic October 4th, 2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sistagoldenhair (Post 1320805)
Are there really people who stand around for a hour staring at chairs to see if anyone comes back to them? I can't imagine doing that. I am a late sleeper, so I know that on sea days by the time I get out there it will be slim pickins at best. I usually end up in the shade or in some nook or crany of the ship, no where near the pool, until some chairs open up in the good neighborhood ;)

agreed!!! :)

amyd1972 October 10th, 2010 12:00 AM

If everyone is so angry about seat huggers why not just start picking up their towels and tossing them aside? If the person who was reserving the seat is actually using the seat they'll be back in a few minutes or see you from the pool and you can simply apologize and relinquish the chair. Otherwise, its yours for the taking if no one comes to claim it. Or you could just stand there and loudly ask "is anyone really using this chair? anyone?" and if no one responds, take the towel off and set it aside.

Captain October 10th, 2010 09:23 AM

Wow... Thanks for the heads up about the "seat hog" situation. Not being on a cruise in years, I never thought that this would be a problem. Lets face it, in this world there are thoughtful people and thoughtless people and that is not going to change. So I hope RCI comes up with a solution. Maybe just walking around picking up dirty towels.

felix_the_cat October 10th, 2010 11:04 AM

We just ask the people on either side if it belongs to them or have they seen anyone recently. If they say no, we move the towels and sit down.

Easy enough.

chris153 October 15th, 2010 08:23 PM

actually, now you do need to sign your towel in and out on rcl. If you do not it is a $20 charge. This may be a good way to get rid of all the chair hogs. I hope so, as I sail next august