Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Passenger

Default Questions about Explorer of the Seas

I will be on the 4th of July Explorer of the Seas sailing to Bermuda. This is my first cruise and i had some questions about the ship. I understand that you have to pay for the specialty restaurants but does this include Cafe Promenade or the pool bar? And what other restaurants do you have to pay for? I assume that all "bars" are only for 21 and older sailors, but what about the lounges? Is there any where a multiple generational group can hang out? My last question is whether the solarium pool is strictly only for adults? Are they strict with that rule or are respectful teenagers allowed in?
Thank you so much for all the help!
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Questions about Explorer of the Seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricruiser
I will be on the 4th of July Explorer of the Seas sailing to Bermuda. This is my first cruise and i had some questions about the ship. I understand that you have to pay for the specialty restaurants but does this include Cafe Promenade or the pool bar? And what other restaurants do you have to pay for? I assume that all "bars" are only for 21 and older sailors, but what about the lounges? Is there any where a multiple generational group can hang out? My last question is whether the solarium pool is strictly only for adults? Are they strict with that rule or are respectful teenagers allowed in?
Let's see, RCI policy is consistant throughout their fleets, so I can answer these for you. The Cafe Promenade is free for the snacks, but the specialty coffees and Ben and Jerrys Ice cream are extra charges. The pool bar serves drinks, and they are extra. No matter where you are on the ship, the drinking age is 21. There are some lounges that will be restricted to 21 and over only, and some are not, but you still have to be 21 or over to get served alcohol. The solarium pool is technically for 16 and older only. On my last 3 cruises, RCI did have a pool attendant that was very strict and made sure everyone was 16 or over. However, you won't know whether there is a pool attendant in the solarium until you get there.

Hope this helps!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old June 5th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

By chance, are you a teen or under age 21?

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Passenger

haha, Yes I am
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Admiral

I am sailing on the Explorer for the third time next week.

As I tell everyone, you would be well served to go to the website Voyager-Class.com .

It has everything you could ever want to know about the construction,layout, even crews quarters and kitchens etc. of the Voyager Class ships of which Explorer of the Seas is one. There are literally probably over a thousand photographs.

Todd
Old June 6th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Passenger

Thank You everybody for your help
Old June 7th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Questions about Explorer of the Seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricruiser
I've sailed on Explorer 3 times in the last 18 months and really enjoyed it. All food is free except for the specialty restaurant, Ben & Jerry's ice cream and Johnny Rocket's. FYI there is free frozen yogurt on the pool deck during the day.

The bars/lounges allow multiple generational groups but won't serve alcohol to anyone under 21. However, individual or groups of teens aren't allowed in the bars/lounges on their own. I've seen teenagers in the Chamber (the disco) with their parents in the early evenings but not after 10 pm

The solarium is for adults only and it seems to be enforced. I take the 12-night cruises and haven't seen any kids in there but I also cruise during the school year, so it maybe different in the summer. On Rhapsody last month there were a bunch of kids in the solarium with their parents and no one seemed to mind.

I don't know how old you are but the kids I've talked to enjoyed the Kids' Club or whatever it is called. If you are 18 or under you can go there and they have a ton of activities. For those 19-20 yrs old there seems to be less to do, too old for the kids' club, too young to hang in the bars.

Explorer has a ton of activities. Have a great cruise.