CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Sneaking booze on board (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/365499-sneaking-booze-board.html)

tyler6597 June 21st, 2009 01:50 PM

Sneaking booze on board

I know the policy on taking booze aboard RCCL but........ is there anyway to sneak it on board. And yes, I'm trying to get around the rules. Is it easier to put it in a non descript plastic bottle and put it in your luggage or carry on. Or is it a lost cause. :?:

croozbabe June 21st, 2009 03:52 PM

It is easiest to follow the rules Gary!

WildRover June 21st, 2009 04:03 PM

Lots of people do it lots of different ways.
I think it depends on the booze -- liquor, wine?
Some people use RumRunners (google it).
Some have put it in mouthwash bottles but it seems like the cruiselines are onto this.
I think the keys are to not get greedy, hide it well in boots-shoes, put it in checked luggage -- not carry on, and don't put your eggs in one basket.
Sometimes some gets through but not the rest? It's a crap shoot.

The cruiselines tend to be more vigilant during Spring Break.

Lots of people are successful, though. Don't let the naysayers stop you. I won't.

tyler6597 June 21st, 2009 09:31 PM

Follow the rules

I know I should follow the rules. Everytime I don't I get bit in the ass.

Matelot June 22nd, 2009 09:04 AM

I sent you a PM.

Manuel June 23rd, 2009 02:12 AM

Use your imagination, you might come up with a better idea then the rest of us have.

TM

brewtown June 23rd, 2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel
Use your imagination, you might come up with a better idea then the rest of us have.

TM

Manuel-I like that response! :D

earl June 23rd, 2009 03:41 PM

last time om the Jewels of the seas in Feb. I put 2 bottles of wine in my luggage and didn`t have a problem. I guess it depends whos checking
the bags

Mike-Suz June 23rd, 2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earl
last time om the Jewels of the seas in Feb. I put 2 bottles of wine in my luggage and didn`t have a problem. I guess it depends whos checking
the bags

B I N G O ! ! !

Winnterpeg July 27th, 2009 05:53 PM

Carry it

Take the metal cap off, put a cork in it and carry it on you in a long pocket.

Put it in a 2 litre soda pop bottle.

Empty a dozen pop cans from the bottom with a drill...then seal the bottom with a solder gun and put them back in the cardboard case and glue the flap.

Wing it and throw it in your luggage.

Or...just pay more and don't worry about it.

Ron July 27th, 2009 06:00 PM

Or just simply drink a week's worth before boarding and ---bingo--no problem !! :shock: :shock: :D :D :D

Surfguyxxx1 July 27th, 2009 07:41 PM

On a recent cruise to Mexico, I had brought on an extra suitcase full of bottled water (and a bottle of something else: can you say Grey Goose?). I wanted the extra water because of the price of water onboard, OMG, and needed the extra suitcase for what I was intending to buy (or for dirty clothes, however you look at it). I will say though, that suitcase was the last to arrive in my stateroom, but it was intact.

Good luck!!!!!!!!

WildRover July 27th, 2009 08:21 PM

Can be done.

I think it depends a lot on which cruise you are on.

Spring Break cruises seem to get a lot of confiscated booze.

3 and 4 night Caribbean cruises also attract a lot of suspicion.

My Alaska cruise --- well, apparently they never even looked at the luggage b/c a bottle of Bailey's and two 12 packs of beer in my checked bags were in our cabin before we were.

Now if we could just find a way to make the cabin fridge actually make things cold....

Oh --- but my sister's tiny scissors were confiscated. She didn't get her luggage until 9 pm that night. But her husband's bag w/ beer in it was already in the cabin when they arrived also. Go figure.

luv2bcruisin July 28th, 2009 02:40 AM

Rum Runners work great! I still can't figure out why RCCL doesn't allow you to bring any wine onboard but with Celebrity you can bring on two bottles per stateroom???

Winnterpeg July 28th, 2009 11:20 AM

This topic usually turns sour

I'm happy to see that the moderators don't jump into this battle. This topic gets very volatile on CruisCritic and the threads get shut down fast cause they get insulted with the whole situation.

It's too bad we have to resort to the term "sneaking". Most of us like to enjoy a drink back in the room between showering and dinner...and trying to arrange a bottle, or carrying back drinks from the bar (hoping they stay frozen or cold) is at the least a real hassle...not to mention ultra expensive.

I love cruises as much as anyone...but do find that they pinch you at every opportunity with break-opens...raffles...bingo...draws for free stuff...and $7.00 beers.

felix_the_cat July 28th, 2009 11:38 AM

Re: This topic usually turns sour

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnterpeg
I'm happy to see that the moderators don't jump into this battle. This topic gets very volatile on CruisCritic and the threads get shut down fast cause they get insulted with the whole situation.

It's too bad we have to resort to the term "sneaking". Most of us like to enjoy a drink back in the room between showering and dinner...and trying to arrange a bottle, or carrying back drinks from the bar (hoping they stay frozen or cold) is at the least a real hassle...not to mention ultra expensive.

I love cruises as much as anyone...but do find that they pinch you at every opportunity with break-opens...raffles...bingo...draws for free stuff...and $7.00 beers.

I can't be bothered carrying booze on board but I certainly understand why others do. It's darn expensive to drink on a ship!!

winterpeg - what area of the city are you from? I'll be heading there over labour day (at least so far). I was raised in your fair city but finally got fed up with the winters and get the heck out.

Winnterpeg July 28th, 2009 12:13 PM

Cool

Hey there Felix the Cat.

My favorite cartoon character...the one featured on the tail of the Navy's ex-F14 fighters. Love Niagra too....played Legends last summer. What a great course.

We're in South St. Vital...River Park South. And yes the winters are still brutal. We moved here from Toronto about 15 years ago....seems we didn't quite have the million bucks for a new home there.

We're headed out on RCCL Enchanment of the Seas on Nov 14 from Ft. Lauderdale to Cayman and Cozumel with a group from Sysco. Looking forward to great cruising times!

felix_the_cat July 28th, 2009 12:58 PM

Re: Cool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnterpeg
Hey there Felix the Cat.

My favorite cartoon character...the one featured on the tail of the Navy's ex-F14 fighters. Love Niagra too....played Legends last summer. What a great course.

We're in South St. Vital...River Park South. And yes the winters are still brutal. We moved here from Toronto about 15 years ago....seems we didn't quite have the million bucks for a new home there.

We're headed out on RCCL Enchanment of the Seas on Nov 14 from Ft. Lauderdale to Cayman and Cozumel with a group from Sysco. Looking forward to great cruising times!

Not far from my old stomping grounds. I'm from Fort Rouge. I remember when that's where the city ended. I hadn't been out in over 20 years then we flew out two years ago for a weekend. Couldn't believe the changes. There are actually jobs there now!!

Still - the winters would keep me from ever thinking of moving back. I do have family there tho but never see them. :-?

katlady July 28th, 2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel

TM

I'm using my imagination here. Okay first cut off your leg (doesn't matter which one). The you will get a hollow leg, boom you fill it will bottles of booze. (No, I'm not serious, please don't cut off you leg and then sue me). LOL

Winnterpeg July 28th, 2009 06:09 PM

What if....

What if by chance...I already have a prosthetic leg?

Naw...I'm kidding. Don't worry, as cheap as I am, I already get the heat from my wife about the booze thing...so I'll just be drinking a little less (or spending a little more). The rivalry in the cruise threads can get pretty boistrous about the whole topic. It's fun to watch I suppose.

Felix the Cat...yup, Winnipeg has changed alot. It's actually getting pretty nice. I think we're starting to look like a city in the 80's now. And honing in on close to a million population. New arena is nice, and a new stadium is starting soon. We also have the Canadian Museum for Human Rights that will be complete in 2011 that's supposed to draw an estimated 200,000 global visitors a year (ya...we'll see about that).

Looking forward to the cruise!

WildRover July 28th, 2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady
I'm using my imagination here. Okay first cut off your leg (doesn't matter which one). The you will get a hollow leg, boom you fill it will bottles of booze. (No, I'm not serious, please don't cut off you leg and then sue me). LOL

LOL
Sorry kat but this wouldn't work. The metal caps on the bottles would set off the alarms.

Although, RumRunners could come out with a version of a prosthetic leg that you could fill with booze sans the bottles..... It's an idea. It would fit with the pirate theme though the sloushing sound might tip off security.

My favorite is still the geriatric version ---- fillable canes and walkers. Grandma will smell like a drunken sailor but then again, when didn't she? LOL :D

katlady July 30th, 2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildRover
Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady

LOL
Sorry kat but this wouldn't work. The metal caps on the bottles would set off the alarms.

Although, RumRunners could come out with a version of a prosthetic leg that you could fill with booze sans the bottles..... It's an idea. It would fit with the pirate theme though the sloushing sound might tip off security.

My favorite is still the geriatric version ---- fillable canes and walkers. Grandma will smell like a drunken sailor but then again, when didn't she? LOL :D

Okay put the booze in a plastic container in your prosthetic leg. Winnterpeg if you have a prosthetic leg already simply skip step one. :wink: I like the fillable canes and walker I bet you can buy one. I'm checking. found it picture grandma with this cane. LOL

It secretly conceals a 1 fluid oz double shot volume of liquor within the body of the hollow beech wood cane with a glass stopper and treaded screw-on handle.
http://www.thegreenhead.com/imgs/mai...lking-cane.jpg

Winnterpeg July 30th, 2009 03:39 PM

Cool!

Love it!

The skull is cool too. What ship steweard is gonna mess with an image like that.

katlady July 30th, 2009 03:41 PM

Wow okay I looked some more there are a ton of these canes with a hidden flask. LOL To funny no wonder old men with canes look so happy.
http://www.fashionablecanes.com/mm5/...0001/80144.jpg
http://www.fashionablecanes.com/mm5/...0001/71602.jpg
http://www.fashionablecanes.com/mm5/...0001/80444.jpg

flyball July 30th, 2009 09:25 PM

We were on the Mariner of the Seas about a month ago to Mexico.
I thought the policy was 2 bottles of wine were alllowed. I was wrong.
My bag with the two bottles was not brought up to my room with my two other bags. After 3 hours, my room steward tipped me off that it was proably being held on the 1st floor due to suspected alcohol. I went down and found over 100 bags being held for inspection. I was asked if I had any alcohol in my bags. I said yes and was told to get it out and that it would be held till after the cruise. The wine was two rather expensive bottles I had brought for a special occassion to have at the specialty restaurant. I thought if you paid a corkage fee this was ok. We had done this with Celebrity only 2 months before.

David

WildRover July 30th, 2009 09:38 PM

flyball -- even though Celebrity and Royal caribbean are the same company, they have different policies. No alcohol on RCI. It makes no sense, I know.

That's why you need a cane you can fill with booze of your choice.

Kat has found some great examples.

I think the baseball bat would fit you nicely, yes? :D

flyball July 31st, 2009 12:50 AM

Yes, I think the baseball bat would work much better as you could get more booze in it than a cane ! LOL

David

Mike-Suz July 31st, 2009 01:53 AM

I wanna be there to watch you explain why you're bringing a baseball bat on the cruise with you.... that would be pretty entertaining!! :shock:

jlmkey July 31st, 2009 01:54 AM

We used the Rum Runner Kit...carry on..no issues, although our checked got flagged...had the mixers in them...not confiscated although lugaage was inspected.

WildRover July 31st, 2009 11:17 AM

For the HandyMan Cruiser.....

Let's Get Hammered!!!!

https://www.thatswicked.com.au/estor...s/hamflask.jpg