Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
Passenger

Default Unsold Cabins?

I keep hearing how my August Mariner cruise has tons of unsold cabins but when I look at the RCCL website whole categories of cabins are blocked out, which I assume means sold. Is there a way to see how many unsold cabins there are?
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:33 PM
Captain

Default Unsold Cabins

Many times a cabin category is shown as N/A because travel agents have cabins in their inventory. For example, I booked a D1 cabin (many months ago) for October 27 on Jewel OTS. While looking at my TA's webiste, I saw that she had a Grand Suite available, even though RCI's website showed that category as sold out. I booked the GS.

If I understand the process, travel agents "give up" any inventory they are holding somewhere around 60 days before sailing. That's when cabins magically appear as available.

Someone out there who has more experience with the way travel agents work may be able to shed some light on this.
Old June 24th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Captain

The simple answer is we do have the ability to hold space (block or group)which is released back into the inventory at different times. We also have customers who cancel right before penalty phase for obvious reasons so cabins do become available.
Old June 24th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Passenger

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm wondering if there is a way to find out how many cabins on a particular cruise are unsold. As an example, people say "40% of the cabins on that cruise are unsold." How do they know that? I've heard there is a website that has this info but darn if I can find it.

Thanks,
Old June 24th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Admiral

I understand that TA's can call RCI or Celeb etc and find out
how many cabins are still available.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old June 24th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Captain

Sorry, I was only answering the most recent thread but I really don't know if the lines give out the actual percentage of "unsold" cabins. Just like the hotel industry you can guess by shich way the pricing is going but the reason I put "unsold" in quotes is it is really which cabins aren't spoken for. Cabins are held and released many times before the final cruiser locks it in.
Old June 24th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie H
Sorry, I was only answering the most recent thread but I really don't know if the lines give out the actual percentage of "unsold" cabins. Just like the hotel industry you can guess by shich way the pricing is going but the reason I put "unsold" in quotes is it is really which cabins aren't spoken for. Cabins are held and released many times before the final cruiser locks it in.
No worries, I'm just fasinated by the concept of there being a place you can see how full or empty your ship is. Personally, I like the idea of a not filled to capacity ship
Old June 25th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Average cabin is sold 6 times. Old figure but im sure pretty close still.
Old June 25th, 2009, 10:26 PM
First Mate

There is a website that displays this information, but when it has been discussed on other site(s) the thread has been deleted so it must be insider info only.
I'd like to know too...
Old June 28th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matelot
There is a website that displays this information, but when it has been discussed on other site(s) the thread has been deleted so it must be insider info only.
I'd like to know too...
up up up