Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Passenger

Default Royal Caribbean Cruises predicts drop in profit

This is according to the miami herald,
Royal blame the fuel costs and swine flu.
But I think the real reason is the high prices for booking. I love Royal caribbean but soemtimes their prices are a bit higher for no reason 8)
Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2009, 01:52 PM
First Mate

It would be interesting to see numbers re how many empty cabins there are on each cruise.... don't suppose they will release that though :o
Old June 29th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Admiral

They are going to be forced to lower their prices and time goes on. If they can't complete they won't be able to pay for the Monster of the Seas.

I can't imagine not having RCL. As much as I believe they have gone downhill, they have been around for a very long time.

I have been told recently by clients how dissatisfied they are with both RCL and Celebrity. They can't keep letting thier product deteriorate and this everything is going to stay the same. They have to bring their product back up to snuff and hope to get a better share of the market.

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
Windstar
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Admiral

The economy I think still is the biggest reason for slow bookings.

I booked my cruise 30 days in advance. There were many cabins available with not only Royal but Princess and Carnival too.

Royal's prices are higher so I'm not surprised cabins were available. I was more surprised that Princess and Carnival had available cabins only 30 days prior because their rates are low.

I'm sure Land vacations are also taking a beating in bookings too.

Hope things start to turn around with this economy.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas x2
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Captain

My cruise is sold out, so bookings are not down across the board.

While the swine flu, fuel prices and the economy did hurt the cruise industry, I think RCCL's profit margin is also being tanked by the behemoth Oasis. It's like the perfect storm of financial ruin.

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old June 30th, 2009, 08:19 AM
First Mate

I've been sorta watching a couple of Princess cruises too, but the price has gone up steadily and the rooms are all waitlisted. so someone is booking ....
Old June 30th, 2009, 09:09 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matelot
I've been sorta watching a couple of Princess cruises too, but the price has gone up steadily and the rooms are all waitlisted. so someone is booking ....
Don't forget that Princess just had a 1-Day Sales event with a large travel agency. Doesn't surprise me that a lot of the rooms are wait listed.
Old June 30th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Admiral

The economy is changing the way we live. All you have to do is look and see how many businesses have cut back or shut down. Many people have lost their jobs or have taken pay cuts.

RCL will be OK and there are many of us who love big ships. If Carnival charges less for their cruises, that's fine, they must know how much they are worth.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2 / 21 / 16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Booked Celebrity Equinox ... 4 / 4 / 16 *Anniversary cruise *
Old June 30th, 2009, 09:19 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Royal Caribbean Cruises predicts drop in profit

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahootelemundo
This is according to the miami herald,
Royal blame the fuel costs and swine flu.
But I think the real reason is the high prices for booking. I love Royal caribbean but soemtimes their prices are a bit higher for no reason 8)
RCI used to be a little bit higher priced than their competitors Carnival and NCL. But it was justified back then. It ended with the 90s. RCI was taken truly mass market with the Voyager Class and the acquisition of Celebrity.

Celebrity essentially became the RCI of old (slightly above the mass market) and RCI was taken mass market.

If you take a cruise line totally mass market you need a lot of ships (going for quantity) and low cost design (see Carnival).

RCI is trying it both ways right now: mass market and higher cruise fares. To ask for higher rates you have to have something other lines do not offer. Bargain hunters and low cost cruisers do not care if they have a Royal Promenade or not.

I think a sign of times of the state of RCI is the fact that in our market (which is cruise heaven) in the past few years you mostly saw Carnival and NCL ads and hardly RCI ads. Now you see RCI ads almost daily and Carnival and NCL ads have all but disappeared.

RCI must be spending a fortune in advertising these days.
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:20 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Cruiser64
Quote:
Don't forget that Princess just had a 1-Day Sales event with a large travel agency. Doesn't surprise me that a lot of the rooms are wait listed.
The cruises I have been watching have been waitlisted for ages. I thought once final payment date came around a few would open up, but they are still packed solid it seems. Not only that but the price keeps climbing.....CB on 4th or 13th August 09.
No point in my making a waitlist reservation as flight arrangements would have to be firm.... oh well.
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel
The economy is changing the way we live. All you have to do is look and see how many businesses have cut back or shut down. Many people have lost their jobs or have taken pay cuts.

RCL will be OK and there are many of us who love big ships. If Carnival charges less for their cruises, that's fine, they must know how much they are worth.

TM
I agree the economy is changing each week I see a store I used to go to is now closed for good.

All the cruise lines will manage until the economy picks up again.

There will always be cruisers looking for bargins and low cost in which case will cruise with Carnival and other cheaper lines.

And there will always be cruisers that will pay a higher rate to cruise with Royal and other higher priced lines.

All the lines are taking a hit now.

Vision Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Admiral

I expect to keep cruising on RCL and Celebrity, and in time the economy will re-bound.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Old June 30th, 2009, 02:10 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Cruiser64
Quote:
The cruises I have been watching have been waitlisted for ages. I thought once final payment date came around a few would open up, but they are still packed solid it seems. Not only that but the price keeps climbing.....CB on 4th or 13th August 09.
No point in my making a waitlist reservation as flight arrangements would have to be firm.... oh well.
what category on the Caribbean are you looking at?

On the 4th of Aug the only thing I see available is a window suite on the Fiesta Deck. Wow, lots of wait listed. .

On the 13th I see a few inside categories and the windows suite as well. Rest is all waitlisted. Wow.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:55 PM
Passenger

Quote:

TM
I dont see any differences between abercrombie and fitch and hollister. They are the same company with different names and of course different prices. I don’t understand why Abercrombie are more expensive if they have the same cloth material as Hollister. The reason I don’t understand why Royal Caribbean booking are higher
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
Admiral

There is a difference between Abercrombie and Hollister. Most teenagers know the difference.

As long as cruisers are paying the higher rate to cruise on Royal the rates remain high. Supply in demand.

Vision Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 14th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Passenger

now is the time to buy stocks
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Captain

Default Bargain Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
There will always be cruisers looking for bargins and low cost in which case will cruise with Carnival and other cheaper lines.

And there will always be cruisers that will pay a higher rate to cruise with Royal and other higher priced lines.

First of all, we are not rich, by any stretch of the imagination. If we were, we would probably be cruising with Chrystal. When we started cruising many years ago, we tried different cruise lines, but finally settled on Royal Caribbean. We have stayed with RCI and Celebrity for the last ten years or so. Could we have gotten cheaper cruises? Probably. Would we switch? No. We have found a brand we are comfortable with, and have decided to "stay the course", in spite of lower prices on other lines.

I guess we're those people mentioned in a previous post.....we will pay the higher rate based on a known product. If you're a bargain hunter, that's great, go for it. But, ( and this may not matter), you won't get too far in any cruise line's loyalty program.
Old July 14th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
I guess we're those people mentioned in a previous post.....we will pay the higher rate based on a known product. If you're a bargain hunter, that's great, go for it. But, ( and this may not matter), you won't get too far in any cruise line's loyalty program.
No you won't, but by sticking with one line you don't get to experience the others, and with the very little value their repeater's programs offer, I'd opt for variety.

Plus, as RCI did, the cruise lines can alter their repeater's programs at will.
Old July 14th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Familiar Face

The creative teams for the entertainment have to be OFF the Oasis by the inaugural cruise as RCI needs their cabins. Sounds to me as if Oasis' bookings are very sound, at least for her first 3 or 4 months. If she is the success they hope, it may be more difficult to book than most here think.
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Quote:
No you won't, but by sticking with one line you don't get to experience the others, and with the very little value their repeater's programs offer, I'd opt for variety.
We've had experience with other cruise lines (Princess, NCL, Regal, Costa). Haven't sailed Carnival, don't plan to. The other cruise lines we would like to experience are the ones we can't afford...Crystal, Regent, etc.

I guess we'll just have to suffer through whatever RCI and Celebrity dedice to do with their loyalty programs.
Old July 27th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Admiral

I'm with Pootersdad. I am happy with Royal and Celebrity and I will put up with their loyalty program.

Life is too short to take a lousy cruise.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Old July 27th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
I'm with Pootersdad. I am happy with Royal and Celebrity and I will put up with their loyalty program.

Life is too short to take a lousy cruise.

TM
I think I've now taken 55 or so cruises on many different lines, and there's only 1 that I can recall thinking wasn't a great time. I've sailed budget lines, mainstream, and luxury lines.

I can't imagine everything I'd have missed if all those cruises were on the same cruise line.

I do understand there are also people who will sail only in the Caribbean for example and they can be happy going to the same islands each and every time, and go to the same beaches on each visit, and return satisfied at how they spent their vacation dollars.

I just happen to believe a broader experience, with more variety is preferrable.
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Admiral

I'm sure there's a lot of people who cruise on 7 day cruises ( or even shorter ones ) that would love to sail on longer cruises and on the higher end lines, such as Silversea, Crystal, Seabourne, etc and enjoy the European, Mediterranean. and other exotic ports. But-- a lot of people who cruise aren't rich and retired and are still working. Accordingly they have to cruise according to their allotted vacation time and wallets.
Hence, the popularity of the cruises to the Caribbean. Even if it's to the same old ports, it's still a cruise !!
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Bargain Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootersdad
Quote:

We have stayed with RCI and Celebrity for the last ten years or so. Could we have gotten cheaper cruises? Probably. Would we switch? No. We have found a brand we are comfortable with, and have decided to "stay the course", in spite of lower prices on other lines.

I agree with what you are saying! We have started cruising with Royal in 94 after the first few cruises we knew Royal is the cruiseline for us.
And now with Voyager/Freedom/Oasis class ships you bet most of our cruising will be on Royal.

Each time before I book a cruise I check around for pricing and Royal most of the time is always higher. I think about booking another line and in fact had the Carnival Liberty booked but cancelled it.

I could have a good cruise on any other line but it won't be Excellent.

As for the higher end lines even if they were in my budget I would not cruise with them since they don't have ships that I want to be on.

Royal is my home.....

Like Dorothy said.....There is no place like home!

Vision Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 28th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Admiral

CQ, I have been on the Carnival Liberty as well as the Liberty OTS.

I have booked the Liberty OTS again, but I don't expect to sail on Carnival again. It's just not the same.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Old July 28th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
CQ, I have been on the Carnival Liberty as well as the Liberty OTS.

I have booked the Liberty OTS again, but I don't expect to sail on Carnival again. It's just not the same.

TM
I know! Royal has spoiled me! I can't imagine myself on a ship without a Bolero's, Promenade, Rock Climbing, Ice Show, quest, 70's nite and 80's nite!

With that being said we are planning a July 4th cruise on the Carnival Miracle. (It's a free cruise)

Vision Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Admiral

A free cruise on the 4th of july?

Not bat at all. Even on Carnival, that would be ok.

But if I had to pay for the air I would go on Royal or Celebrity.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Old July 29th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Admiral

Quote:

TM

TM Mom and Dad are celebrating next year 50 years (WOOOOHOOOO)
and are taking the whole family on a cruise.
No not paying for air it is out of New York. Mom and Dad do not like to fly.

Vision Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:25 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Quote:

TM

TM Mom and Dad are celebrating next year 50 years (WOOOOHOOOO)
and are taking the whole family on a cruise.
No not paying for air it is out of New York. Mom and Dad do not like to fly.
Wow that's real cool... Happy anniversary Mom and Dad !!!!!!!
Are you sailing out of Bayone, Manhattan or Brooklyn?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
2010 RCCL Oasis Of The Seas
2009 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (so nice we did it twice)
2008 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (!!wow!!)
2007 Carnival Glory (Super Bowl - Bears vs Colts)
2005 Carnival Sensation (again)
2004 Carnival Sensation
1993 Celebrity Horizon
1991 Celebrity Meridian
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-Suz
Are you sailing out of Bayone, Manhattan or Brooklyn?
Thanks Mike&Suz!! I think Miracle sails out of Manhattan. Next week I'm cruising out of Bayonne.

There is no such thing as a "bad" cruise just some are better then others.

Sort of like Pizza!

Vision Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas