Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 29th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Passenger

Default Really bad experience

I was on the June 3, cruise out of Barcelona for the 12 night Med. Islands, etc on the Brilliance of the Seas. I had booked a room that was not near a club, theatre, or underneath a walkway as I hate footfall noise. To my surprise, I was assigned a room on the fourth deck which I certainly didn't want. It was supposed to be an "upgrade". What a joke. It was underneath the walkway that was beside the theater and where smokers congregated. In the mornings there was an assortment of noises from workers. I had to wait until the theater closed in the evenings and smokers went to bed for the noise to ease of to get any sleep. Sleep was something I like to enjoy on vacation and in this case, I didn't get much. I filed a couple of complaints but was told that all berths were full. In addition, the food was very mediocre. One night moussika was served. It was like a soup. Everything was overly salted and nothing was really very good. I do not use formal dining. I don't like carrying the extra clothes. This cruiseline is not to the same standard as Celebrity or even Princess lines. It is highly unlikely that I will ever use Royal Carribean again. Royal Carribean makes it apparent that they only care about you money and want you to spend lots of it. I understand that money is what it is all about, but they need to also improve in customer relations. I thought the entertainment was pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Captain

Hey Larry. Sorry to hear your cruise wasn't everything it could've been.

Complaints about the quality of RCCL's food have been frequent lately. I have never even heard of "moussika"!

Maybe these sort of complaints have more to do with RCCL's shrinking profits than the swine flu and fuel prices?

Disney Wonder
RCCL Serenade of the Seas
Old June 29th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Passenger

I could deal with everything except the berth that I was assigned. I don't take the excursions. I am Europe savy so local transportation is easy for me. I learned a long time ago to read up on destinations, know the transportation there, and don't use ship excursions. They tend to tie you down and are overpriced. Anyway, Moussika (spelling is probably incorrect) a Greek dish sort of like lasagna. Thanks for your response.
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

It's a shame, when a cabin you booked specifically, is taken away, and what the ship may consider an upgrade, is to you, not a good thing...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 30th, 2009, 11:34 AM
First Mate

Sounds to me that you probably booked a guarenteed cabin rather than booking in advance and selecting the cabin you prefered. If you plan accordingly; you'll get the cabin and location you prefer. Also, when they "upgraded" you; did you request to see a map of where the new cabin was before they moved you? Seems like you knew of "spesific" locations you wanted to avoid; not sure why you did not inquire about these things at check-in when they offered to change your cabin?

As for the food; to each their own; I've sailed with various lines and I think Royal Caribbean's food is good; I've been on 32 cruises and really haven't been disappointed.
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Admiral

We have heard, many times, that when people get to the ship,sometimes they get surprised that they have a "new " cabin...the op seemed to suggest he selected his cabin..I would not be a happy camper If my selected cabin, was not waiting for me...unless of course,they gave me the owners suite

Old June 30th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Admiral

It would be interesting to know whether or not the OP booked a guarantee or a specific cabin and if he went through a T.A. or not.. I've always said upgrades are not all that people make them out to be. Moving up one or two decks to the same cat. cabin isn't an upgrade to me and too, you have to be very careful where the so- called upgrade puts you--under the galley--under the show lounge, under / over the disco, etc.
I always book a specific cabin and have had one upgrade to a suite but I was asked well before cruise time if that was acceptable. I checked the location of the suite and accepted the change.
I don't see how when you have booked a specific cabin that upon check in they would just automatically announce a cabin change unless there was a problem with the cabin itself such as a/c, plumbing, etc.
Just curious.
Old July 1st, 2009, 02:17 PM
Passenger

I booked a berth on the second deck. I paid for it. I received tickets with berth numbers that were obviously on a different deck . The only upgrade (if that is what it was supposed to be) would have been that the porthole was larger which didn't really concern me. I didn't get what I asked for and suffered the consequences.
Old July 1st, 2009, 02:19 PM
Passenger

royal caribbean keeps sinking
Old July 1st, 2009, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Iv'e posted many times before, that, what maybe an upgrade for one person, is notan upgrade to another....I like to be near an elevator, so, thats what I book. If they bumped me up a deck or two, but far from the elevator, I would not consider that an upgrade, just like the op...

For me, a call from the cruiseline, asking "IF" he would like this new cabin, would have been the proper way to handle it.

Old July 1st, 2009, 08:35 PM
Admiral

So. unless I'm really dense this week ( which is possible given several things I've dealt with ) the OP booked a guarantee and was " upgraded " and came out on the bad end of the " upgrade " which can happen with regularity.

The reason I asked about a T.A. was that had the OP booked a specific cabin and the cruiseline wanted to upgrade him, they would have notified the T.A. who in turn would / should have asked the OP as to whether or not he wanted to change and take the upgrade.

After a couple of cruises I learned to carefully look over the deck plans and book the cabin I want to begin with and do it well in advance.
If I booked a specific cabin it should be obvious that that was where I wanted to be and if I were "upgraded " to a worse location without my knowledge I think I would have a conversation with the Hotel Director very soon--like as soon as I boarded.
Old July 1st, 2009, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Ron, I would be right in front of you in line....

Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:45 AM
First Mate

Agreed; after sailing on more than 30 Royal Caribbean cruises; I've never heard of them randomly changing people's cabin assignments without any notice. The reasons why I could see that happening is if a maintenance issue occured with the person's cabin; otherwise, it really doesn't add-up. I think we may be missing a piece of information here; otherwise, I'm really confused.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:20 AM
First Mate

I have noticed several very curious posts by yahootelemundo who joined the boards on 31 May this year. He/she very rarely has anything positive to say. Things like "royal caribbean keeps sinking" with no facts to back this up are a red flag to me. I am beginning to think he/she has been hired by a rival cruise line to post negative comments Does anyone else feel the same way?

Need some cruise help?
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:02 AM
Passenger

One may not have heard of rooms being randomly assigned without any concent so consider this is your first. I noticed that there was a unusual smell of what seemed to be sewage in the head (bathroom). My wife wrote it off as maybe being the cleaning agents used. It was bearable but a bit bothering. I am now thinking that there may have been maintenance problems in the lower decks, possibly deck two where I had originally booked. It would be interesting to know if anyone that was on the cruise (Jan 3 Brilliance of the Seas out of Barcelona) actually stayed on deck two.

I immediately ran to the customer support the next morning and filed a complaint. I was informed that all berths were occupied. I had to settle for earplugs for the 11 nights at sea. I am pursueing this further.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 10:31 PM
Admiral

I'm still dense in the mind and still curious.
Did you go through a travel agent and did you book a specific cabin or did you book a guarantee?
Old July 3rd, 2009, 02:05 AM
Passenger

I've heard plenty of times how people were "upgraded" without knowing it only to find out when they are checking in at the ship. After hearing about this happening several times, I now call and have them add "no upgrades" to my reservations. Especially when I've got a wonderful aft cabin on a m-class Celebrity ship or a middle hump cabin on a Voyager class Royal ship.

After our last fiasco with Royal in April though, my next Royal cruise in 2011 may be my last!

April 26, 2009 Mariner 7nt Mex to SF - oops!
June 1, 2008 Millennium 12nt Alaska Cruisetour
April 17, 2006 Infinity 11nt Mexico
October 28, 1978 Delian Daphne 17nt Mediterrean/Black Sea

Click on WWW below to see our pix!
Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Passenger

Ron, I booked directly through Royal Caribbean. I booked months in advance and paid immediately so my reservation would have been guaranteed.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Passenger

Ron, I booked directly through Royal Caribbean. I booked months in advance and paid immediately so my reservation would have been guaranteed.
Old July 4th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

I've never cruised on Royal Caribbean, I've only cruised on Carnival, and only once did I book a guaranteed cabin (I will never do that again). I love the Riviera deck because it's really quiet, albeit far from everything else, but I don't care. The one time I booked a guaranteed cabin, my husband and me ended up on the one of the higher decks at the very front of the ship. I hated it to no end because I could really feel the ship's movement and everytime we were reaching port there was a very loud noise that would wake us up early in the morning.

An upgrade to me is not being moved up to a higher deck. An upgrade to me would be inside to outside, outside to balcony with no obstructive views and balcony to suite.