Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Captain

Default Need help - Port Canaveal precruise stay

We're traveling with a group out of Port Canaveral on
the Freedom (can't wait to be on the Freedom again)
Last time we were in PC, we stayed at the Country Inn
and Suites...a newer hotel, but pool area was a very hot
concrete area with no breeze and no bar.

This time we find that the Radisson is alittle cheaper,
looks like their pool area is nicer and they have a bar
and restaurant.

Parking and shuttle are free in both hotels...my question
is Are the Radisson rooms going to be musty, as it is quite an older
hotel? We know the decor is 80's ish, but that doesn't bother
us for one night.

Has anyone stayed at the Radisson at the Port lately?

Lou
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Passenger

Default Radisson

Hi, we willbe on the FOS in September and we have pre-cruise reservations at the Radisson. I have read both good and bad reviews for this hotel and I also would love to hear others comments. It is not to late for me to change my reservations.
Thanks any info helps,
Debs
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Admiral

I too am going in Sept -- on the 20 to be exact --and am also planning on staying at the Radisson-so far so good on the reviews I've read---
Cheers
April
Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:46 PM
Passenger

I will be going on September 20th too with three girlfriends and we are staying at the Radisson at the port too. How is everyone getting to Port Canaveral from Orlando airport. We are trying to find an inexpensive shuttle.

Looking for ward to meeting everyone!

Thanks!
Old August 4th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Passenger

Default Changed Pre-cruise reservations

Myhusband and were staying at the Radisson at the Port but we heard lots of rumors about the quality of the hotel so for our upcoming cruise in Sept we changed our reservations and we are now staying in Orlando the night before at the Sheraton Hotel for $67.00 per night and we will use Coco Beach shuttle to get tot he port and back after the cruise for $ 116.00. Also the Radisson could not get us to the port until 12:30 and the shuttle gave us a 10;30 pick up time in Orlando. Also the reviews for the hotel in Orlanddo were very good and the shuttle company also rated them very high in standards etc...
Debs :o
Old August 4th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Captain

I'll be anxious to see how you like that arrangement, and how
you like the hotel.

My group is from Sarasota, so we're driving to the Port on
Sat, starting our vacation early, going to one of the waterfront
restaurants on Sat. night.

I will be one of those disembarking early, and should be
at the Radisson quite early for our trek back home.

Yes, we would have liked to get to the ship alittle earlier, but 11:30 is
probably the earliest to get there to get on the ship. We're on the
first shuttle over to the ship at 12:30.

Enjoy! The Freedom is awesome.
Old August 4th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Admiral

We stayed at the Radisson two years ago and our room rate included parking and breakfast...our room was not musty. The pool area is quite nice and the included hot breakfast buffet was very good. We made a reservation for the shuttle when we booked our room and were on the first bus to the Port.
Old August 4th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Friends of mine from Florida stay at theBest western........its right next to the pier(which means one can walk there) and eat and drink............its across the street from Publix and lots of other shops around..........and the biggest reason?? It's right on the beach?? Why stay at the Radission,right on that busy road and not be on the beach while staying in Cocoa Beach? They let you keep your car there while on the cruise and they have shuttle service too(nominal fee with CB Shuttle)

The other restaurants near Fishlips is Grills,Rustys,Millikens(http://millikensreef.com/) and I know they were adding a Spaghetti Factory(not sure if its finished yet)

They like Rustys and Millikens(its a yellow building next to Rustys) better than Fishlips and Grills..........
Old August 4th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Beginner

Hi, we live in Merritt Island, about 5 minutes from Cocoa Beach. The Radisson should fit the bill for your pre-cruise stay. It's a nice hotel, only minutes (literally) from the cruise terminals. There is a Sheraton in beautiful downtown CB that is nice as well, right next door to Ron Jons.

As for dining at the port;

Milliken's is OK, rather new, great outside bar area, however, in our opinion, overpriced dinner.

Rusty's used to be nice, but the food and service has gone downhill lately.

Fishlips, pass.

Grills has the best food, and live bands on the weekends.

Spaghetti Factory isn't here yet.

There are some decent mom and pop restaurants close to the Radisson as well. Just ask at the hotel.

If you want a chain name like Carabbas, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, TGIFridays, Chili's, etc, you have to come to Merritt Island.

Our favorite restaurant in town is call El Tucan, obviously it's Mexican food. Best in the area.

Hope this helps.

Marty, Julie and Logan
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Passenger

Last OCT we stayed at the DoubleTree in Cocoa Beach and it was nice- right on the beach. Renting a car from the Orlando airport seems to be the cheapest and most convenient thing to do to get to the Port...

All of the Rental companies have FREE shuttles to/from the Port, as well.

We went on the Freedom and May and decided to stay in Orlando near Universal- we also rented a car (one way again) for about $35 each way and stayed the night at a Crowne Plaza (from Priceline naming our own price for $50)- which turned out to be GREAT!! more going on than in Cocoa beach and the Crowne hada shuttle to Universal and they also gave out drink/dinner coupons to be used at the popular City Walk.

I would opt for the car any time, that way you are on your own schedule, can stop if needed, and it's WAY cheaper!!!

Good luck and have a blast!
Old August 5th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Captain

Thanks for all the great suggestions....especially the
restaurants. We liked Grills as well, and also would
pass on Fishlips.
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Admiral

Howdy again
Well I've sure have read a lot of mixed reviews on both hotels-- the Radisson- that I've book and Best Western---
I know the free shuttles can be hecktic and run late--so I hope my friends agree to opt out of that and just go for a taxi-- or possibly hook up with some friends that are driving and parking at the pier--
From what I've read so far the Sept 20 sailing looks like there is going to be a very fun and friendly group of cruisers
cheers
April