CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Gratuity for excursions??? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/365978-gratuity-excursions.html)

new77 July 7th, 2009 07:18 PM

Gratuity for excursions???

We are getting ready to go on a cruise next month and i just read on the RC website that there is a gratuity for the excursions. Is this true? we have only planned 2 excursions and i'm not planning to pay $200 in gratuities for both of us! Please let me know! Thanks :shock:

yahootelemundo July 7th, 2009 07:28 PM

If you read it in the RC website it should be truth , but I advice you to get the facts straight before saying anything in here or you will be attacked for thinking in a different way . Honestly , I dont know the answer for that , but if its true. I wil be schoked by the new strategic from Royal caribbean

Donna July 7th, 2009 08:19 PM

Its customary to tip excursion people a few dollars depending on the price of the tour and the effort they put into making your excursion worth doing and spending the money on. I don't know where the $200 came from, but that is wrong. The amount of your tip is up to you and not included in the price of the excursion.

Sometimes, you'll have a bus driver make the trip super interesting, may-be a $5.00 tip may we a nice idea, again, totally up to you.

The previous poster, quite frankly doesn't know what he's talking about and I don't even understand what he's trying to say.. He seems to have some gripe with Royal Caribbean, but we've asked what exactly he doesn't like and have yet to get a response...

What excursions have you signed up for?

Manuel July 7th, 2009 08:39 PM

new 77, just go and enjoy your cruise. There is no pressure to tip on excursions. When get a real nice tour guide or bus driver, you can tip them if you like. Sometimes we tip them a dollar or two and at other times more if we really enjoy their service.
This has nothing to do with the cruiseline. We also tip tour guides and bus drivers when we do land vacations.

TM

thecruisequeen July 7th, 2009 10:35 PM

I do plan on tipping the tour guide next week however not $200. LOL

Have a great cruise! :-P

luv2bcruisin July 7th, 2009 10:49 PM

Yes, if we take a tour and the person who is leading us on the tour does a great job, we usually tip $5 or $10, as well. Some are better than others so it just depends on how much. But, there are many people that don't feel they need to pay anymore than what the charge was for the excursion to begin with. It's a personal choice! Have a great cruise! :D

Pootersdad July 8th, 2009 07:06 AM

Yahootelemundo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna

The previous poster, quite frankly doesn't know what he's talking about and I don't even understand what he's trying to say.. He seems to have some gripe with Royal Caribbean, but we've asked what exactly he doesn't like and have yet to get a response...

Isn't there some way you can block this person's posts? Trying to understand what he's saying makes my brain hurt..... :evil:

new77 July 8th, 2009 09:00 AM

Thank you so much to everyone that gave me a response so quick. When i read what the RCI website said about the tipping for excursions i was under the impression that it was mandatory since it said per person/day. I do plan on tipping but not the $200 :) !!! I know someone asked me which excursions we were taking - Atlantis and Garden and city tour of Nassau! Once again thanks to all :D

Mike-Suz July 8th, 2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new77
Thank you so much to everyone that gave me a response so quick. When i read what the RCI website said about the tipping for excursions i was under the impression that it was mandatory since it said per person/day. I do plan on tipping but not the $200 :) !!! I know someone asked me which excursions we were taking - Atlantis and Garden and city tour of Nassau! Once again thanks to all :D

I get the feeling that you are confused and you misread the gratuity guidelines. They suggest approximately $10 per person per day for on board gratuities to be divided between your dining room wait staff and your cabin steward. I don't believe there is anything printed regarding gratuities for excursions.
As the others have said, if you are pleased with the person running your excursion, a $5 tip is just fine.

new77 July 8th, 2009 11:05 AM

Thank you for replying!
Someone had asked what the proper tip was for cruise excursions and there was a break down just like the one for the steward and other staff on the ship. Maybe i did get confused and thought it was mandatory. Now i know LOL ! Thanks again.

Mike-Suz July 9th, 2009 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new77
Thank you for replying!
Someone had asked what the proper tip was for cruise excursions and there was a break down just like the one for the steward and other staff on the ship. Maybe i did get confused and thought it was mandatory. Now i know LOL ! Thanks again.

That's why we're all here !!!
(cept' maybe that ya-mundo guy....)

jaxon July 9th, 2009 01:05 AM

I have to add that I see few tippers on excursions. When we tip, and we usually do, the person seems very grateful, and we only tip a couple of dollars, unless the guide is extraordinary and with us a long time -- like taking us through the Belize caves. I also consider the country -- a couple of bucks in a poor third world country goes farther than in Europe.

namvet4 July 9th, 2009 03:09 PM

New77,
You have gotten mostly excellent advice by being smart enough to check in here!
:D
I can only add that taking along a few singles and/or fives in cash allows you the opportunity to choose to offer a tip if you want. You have already paid the cost of the excursion and anything else you want to buy can be easily purchased with a credit card. I guess I'm trying to offer advice; do not carry a large wad of cash with you. It is just common sense.
And enjoy your cruise and your excursions!

felix_the_cat July 9th, 2009 03:45 PM

We trip on excursions but not too often. If we have had excellent information provided, fine, no problem, but when the guide/driver has talked only to the group onboard, then no.

We try not to take excursions where there are a lot of people as those tend to get monopolized by the people sitting near the front and I have to admit, it doesn't take me long to get fed up.

yahootelemundo July 11th, 2009 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix_the_cat
We trip on excursions but not too often. If we have had excellent information provided, fine, no problem, but when the guide/driver has talked only to the group onboard, then no.

We try not to take excursions where there are a lot of people as those tend to get monopolized by the people sitting near the front and I have to admit, it doesn't take me long to get fed up.

not to mention that excursion provided onboard royal caribbean are more expensive. than if you buy it in the country that you are visiting

Surfguyxxx1 July 11th, 2009 10:42 AM

As "mostly" everyone is telling you, go have fun and don't worry about the tip. We usually give $10 as a couple. On a few rare occasions we've given $20 but the guide worked hard for it. He had personality, was knowledgable about our excursion and we could "clearly" understand him.
Of course you have some people that don't tip at all thinking that the price they've paid is enough but they rely on tips just like a waiter does here in the states.

I hope you have a fantastic time.

MrPete July 11th, 2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yahootelemundo
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna
Yahoo,
All cruiselines makes some moneys from shore excursions, Royal Caribbean isn't any different than the others. Please post something that is relative to the thread or nothing at all.

You said that my answer wasn't relative!!. I have no idea how you still a moderator

And I have no idea why you're still a member here.

yahootelemundo July 11th, 2009 01:49 PM

Its funny , how some moderator are witting post , and then deleting them before anybody can see it

Take a look to the post above mine , LOL :D