Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 9th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Passenger

Default Dolphin Swim in Tortola for FOS sailing in September 2009

Good Morning, we will be on the FOS on Sept 6, 2009 and we have booked the Dolphin swim through the RCCL website and I have heard mixed reviews. Anyone does this excusion and if so, how was it? I am kinda worried after the last review that I saw. Any help or info appreciated.
Debs
Old July 9th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Familiar Face

Debs,
I cannot comment on the specific RCCL tour. My wife and I - mid sixties -enjoyed the tour from HAL, onboard the Noordam.. The trip to the dolphin compound was a ten - fifteen minute ride direct from the pier! There were(are?) two variations of the dolphin swim. We chose the more aggressive (and costly) and we were not disappointed! Our group was eight people and we had a young lady as our guide and dolphin trainer. After storing our gear in open lockers, we were issued water-shoes and life vests and led right into the large area where the dolphins came to interact with us. I believe on our tour, we had more time and more interaction with the dolphins (we had the pleasure of two dolphins) than on the less expensive tour. Bring a camera, waterproof, single use, disposable works fine, and you will get some great pictures. Of course, at the end of the dolphin swim you are highly encouraged to view the video of your tour and also purchase a C/D or prints( YOU can select whatever you want, or select nothing). Of all the tours we looked at pre-cruise, this was the one that my wife wanted to do most ardently. She and I were more than pleased with the tour! Hope this helps...
Old July 9th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Passenger

Default Dolphin Swim

Thank you for the information. Did you do the tour in Tortola? If so, did you find the water to be nasty? On one of the reviews that I read they said the water was slimmy and dirty and they didn't want to get into it. The tour is costing us $ 169.00 per person and I don't want to waste my money if it is nasty. They also said they had lunch there did your tour come with Lunch? Did the dolphins appear healthy and could you really touch and play with them?
Thanks Again for the information
Debs
Old July 9th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Dolphin Swim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debs123
Thank you for the information. Did you do the tour in Tortola?
Yes... quite a pleasant, if simplistic Caribbean Island..

If so, did you find the water to be nasty? On one of the reviews that I read they said the water was slimmy and dirty and they didn't want to get into it.
The area where we swam was fine, don't expect the sparkling clear blue crystal water you see in the advertising pictures, but it was fine!

The tour is costing us $ 169.00 per person and I don't want to waste my money if it is nasty. They also said they had lunch there did your tour come with Lunch?
Our tour, at that time, did not include lunch

Did the dolphins appear healthy and could you really touch and play with them?
I think that is what impressed me the most was the condition of the dolphins. All healthy (I'm no expert, other than what I see on the nature channels) but they were alert, playful and responded well to all the commands from the trainer. And yes, we each got to "shake a flipper", get a dolphin kiss and of course, we each had a "dolphin ride" where two dolphins came along and carried you along for a short trip!

Thanks Again for the information
Your welcome!

Debs
Old July 10th, 2009, 12:03 AM
First Mate

Debs... check your private messages (click PM's on top of page) I left you info concerning meet and mingles.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
2010 RCCL Oasis Of The Seas
2009 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (so nice we did it twice)
2008 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (!!wow!!)
2007 Carnival Glory (Super Bowl - Bears vs Colts)
2005 Carnival Sensation (again)
2004 Carnival Sensation
1993 Celebrity Horizon
1991 Celebrity Meridian
Old July 10th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Passenger

Default Thank You Mike and Suz

Good Morning, check your PM, I sent a reply.
Debs123 :o