CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Door Decor--Yes or No? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/366196-door-decor-yes-no.html)

CruisePhD July 15th, 2009 11:51 AM

Door Decor--Yes or No?

Back in '07, when I was planning my first cruise (HAL Westerdam), I noticed discussion on some of the Cruisemates boards about decorating cabin doors. It seemed to be a "hot topic" on the Carnival Cruise boards. I even noticed that some people did decorate their doors on the Westerdam (tastefully, of course--it is HAL :) ). Do people still do this on cruises? My son and I are travelling on Freedom OTS next May, right after his 13th birthday, and I thought some fun trim on our door might tie in with the B-day, help us find our cabin, and maybe be an incebreaker with other guests. Good idea or not?

Russell in MD July 15th, 2009 12:05 PM

I do.

http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/vie...487&highlight=

I have since made a smaller one that is more subdued and replaceble.

For me it makes finding our cabin easier and gives it more of a homely feel.

Some folks head to the dollar store and just get a sheet of tropical themed stickers that get tossed at the end of the cruise.

When we had a larger-than-average balcony on Miracle I went so far as to have a University of MD flag and a 6 ft tall inflatable palm tree on the balcony secured with magnets slapped on the bulkhead. It was a hit with folks on ships we were tied next to in port.

R

Pootersdad July 15th, 2009 05:55 PM

Door Decorations

We always do door decorations. Actually, depending on our cabin location, we do hallway decorations, just outside our door.

We are from Ohio, so we do a map of Ohio, with indications of major cities, plus information about those cities. For example, for Columbus, we have "State Capital", and "home of The Ohio State University". Also, an explanation of what a Buckeye is.

Helps us find our cabin when we're coming back late at night. Plus, it's fun to hear the cabin steward ask "what's a Bookie?" :roll:

MIKnLARA July 15th, 2009 06:45 PM

Great idea

My husband celebrated his 50th birthday on our last cruise. I purchased the birthday decoration package for our cabin. There were streamers and happy birthday signs hanging in our cabin with a big Happy Birthday sign on our door.

Going in and out of cabin, fellow cruisers would see the sign and wish him a happy birthday, it was a lot of fun and brings out the best in people.

MikNLara

asmith91303 July 15th, 2009 08:54 PM

Definitely a do. It's his 13th birthday, a special one. Tell him happy birthday and happy cruising.

Trip July 16th, 2009 04:15 PM

A special bithday on a cruise what fun! Dress up that door:)

CruisePhD July 21st, 2009 01:25 PM

Thanks for the great replies! As long as he's not at the "Mom, don't embarass me" stage, I think he'll appreciate it!

thecruisequeen July 21st, 2009 03:28 PM

Yes go for it! I always see doors decorated for Birthdays and Anniversary.

I once put up a 3D picture of Shrek on the door. :shock: No birthday or anything just felt like it. LOL LOL

Enjoy your cruise! :D

traveltime July 24th, 2009 03:50 PM

What a great idea! My husband's birthday is 2 days before we sail, so I think I'll order the birthday decorations for our cabin. Thanks for the reminder. I used to see lots of cabin doors decorated but not nearly as many now. They really do help to identify your cabin at the end of a lonnng day. :D

addicted2 July 26th, 2009 04:37 PM

By all means please decorate your door, they are fun to look at and we have seen some very creative doors. We even purchased Happy Honeymoon decorations onboard for a wonderful couple from Isreal we met last September on Liberty when we found out it was there Honeymoon. Needless to say they were thrilled and quite surprised when they came back from dinner one night and found their room, and door decorated. The decorations sold by RCL can be purchased prior to the cruise or at anytime during the cruise. Have fun and be creative.

Winnterpeg July 29th, 2009 01:26 AM

Door Deco...

We were on NCL Dream with a group who all had magnetic door signs. They were about 8" x 6" printed in full color on a home comuter and printer. You can find the magnet packs at Walmart...they look great...and we still have ours on the fridge.

The only thing you need is imagination. And YES...it makes finding your room a little easier.

shauncruises August 2nd, 2009 06:41 PM

I was excited to see this post! We are traveling at Christmas, 2 cabin across the hall from each other and I was thinking about decorating the doors! Now I am definately going to decorate now! Cannot wait! We have a balcony and I may even do some decorations on the balcony!

Angela Z. August 3rd, 2009 12:39 PM

We just got back from 3 days on the Monarch to the Bahamas and saw a door for a honeymoon couple that encouraged everyone to leave some advice for the bride and groom. While most of it was of the "run for your life" variety some people did take the time to write more thoughtful wishes. It was a nice idea.
Angela Z.

VegasCrossfire September 12th, 2009 06:23 PM

I love the idea of decorating the doors, but I have no imagination.

We are cruising with 12 other couples - so it would be cool to have all 13 doors decorated. Most of us are all together.

It is not for any special occassion and we don't all live in the same area.

Any suggestions???? :?:

dave 3261 September 18th, 2009 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VegasCrossfire
I love the idea of decorating the doors, but I have no imagination.

We are cruising with 12 other couples - so it would be cool to have all 13 doors decorated. Most of us are all together.

It is not for any special occassion and we don't all live in the same area.

Any suggestions???? :?:

I would think if it is not for a special occasion such as a birthday or anniversary then don't do it, however... 12 couples cruising together is pretty special so why not!!!!!

Maybe some palm trees from party city or something

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2009
RCI Explorer of the Seas, January 2010

VegasCrossfire September 18th, 2009 03:46 PM

I think that since we will be on the cruise for Halloween, I'm going to decorate all 12 doors with something to do with Halloween. I have started my search at Party City and Michael's. Today it's off to the Dollar Store!!