CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   The food on RC (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/366204-food-rc.html)

mckavett July 15th, 2009 01:20 PM

The food on RC

We are long time RC travelers, 6 cruises with them, but the last 2 we have taken have been with Carnival as the food on RC got so bad. Cruise to Alaska and New England Cruise were terrible, food only the rest of the cruise was great as were the staff. Last cruise with them was late 2007. Please let me know if food has improved, it use to be so good. We really would like to get back with RC.

donnatelemundo July 15th, 2009 02:08 PM

It will be your choise , but I dont like RC food :)

Dave the Wave July 15th, 2009 02:27 PM

I think the food is great and I never went hungry.

mckavett July 15th, 2009 02:55 PM

When was the last time you traveled with them. Has it been recent.
Thanks for the info

Robbie H July 15th, 2009 02:57 PM

I think the bean counters have definitely done enough take-aways in the food department. We enjoyed our last 2 cruises much better than last year but it's doubtful that it will be as good as it used to be anytime soon.

Donna July 15th, 2009 09:15 PM

I've never had a bad meal on Royal Caribbean, but I don't order anything that I've never had before, food in the Windjammer has also been good.
Having cruised on Princess last year, I fould their food very good.

rccruisers July 16th, 2009 03:53 AM

We sailed on the Liberty of the Seas in May and the food was wonderful. Windjammer, dining room and the speciality restaurants were the best we have found on any ship.

Dave the Wave is absolutely right...never have I gone hungry! Plenty of good things to pick from, that is for sure.

Mike-Suz July 16th, 2009 12:48 PM

We sailed on Freedom this past November and the food was almost ALL good with 2 exceptions. Suzanne's spiedino di mare in Portofino's sucked
and the steak in the main dining room also sucked. Other than those 2 items we were very pleased with our food offerings.

Trip July 16th, 2009 03:13 PM

Over the course of moderating here, I think we can all say,that, comments about the food going downhill was high up there.

While RCI went down, Carnival's went up, that has been the gist, but, as mentioned, there are so many options, and the abilty to get another dish, if it was not to your liking takes a bit of the sting out of it. I daresay, you won't leave the table hungry..No ranch or royal steak though:)

Dianeteacher407 July 17th, 2009 09:03 AM

The only thing bad about RCL was the food...Everything tasted the same and was always served lukewarm...

Diane

16 days to Monarch

longbeachlarry July 17th, 2009 12:44 PM

We've never really had much of a problem with the food on RC. The one issue that we have is that one of our group is a vegetarian and the choices for her can get a little repetitive....especially on our last cruise which was a 2-week one. It seems that much of the selection in Windjammer that was vegetarian was all Indian inspired. While she likes Indian, so do the rest of us, having to eat that each day can get a little tiring.

thecruisequeen July 19th, 2009 08:19 AM

Just off Liberty and the food for me was great.

Although I have to say I don't cruise/vacation for food.
Food would be the least important thing for me in choosing a cruise/vacation.

Manuel July 19th, 2009 08:41 AM

When I sailed on the Liberty OTS, I thought the food was fine and we found something goog to eat every time we we wanted a meal or something between meals. You certainly won't go hungry.

TM

elf July 19th, 2009 08:10 PM

Hello Fellowcruisers,

I have been on RCCL in 2008 and did not have any problem with their food at the Windjammer. There was so much food to choose from all the time, and as many have already commented on this forum, you were never hungry.

For the people who were vegetarian, I thought you could order special meals ahead of time, or is this just for the diningroom?

elf

Dianeteacher407 July 19th, 2009 09:49 PM

I also do not cruise for the food. Did anyone read the latest idea that the airlines have come up with: Your fare will be based on a combination of your weight and the weight of your luggage!

The reason that I want to know is because the food on Mariner was soooo bad, that my husband will no longer cruise RCCL. He just could not get over the fact that one cruise line (Carnival) could have such delicious food and RCCL was soooo bad! Everything, and I mean everything tasted the same. The lobster, if you want to call it that was pitiful! Do not ask for seconds. Your waiter looks at you with a stern face.

For me, I do not even finish firsts, however, my husband sometimes, when the food is edible asks for seconds.

We actually had a couple on the Mariner in 2007 who ate their way through the cruise. The ate 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners and had no less than 4 meals served in their cabin! Their tastebuds must be dull as the food was not good enough for one meal, let alone about 10.

Diane

IloveVegas July 21st, 2009 02:09 PM

Just back from Majesty last week. I agree... we never went hungary!!

The food was not fantastic 5 star rating food, but there was plenty of it and it was good enough for our liking. We really didn't find anything to complain about food wise. I think that food is not too 'spiced' up and made a bit plain, but it was always good. The Windjammer always had plenty of different things to choose from for breakfast and dinner. And everything there was good.

I do agree, though, that there may not be enough variety in the dining room for vegetarians, as my niece is one; but she eats fish, so she was able to choose fish dishes.

I doubt anyone on that cruise went hungary!! So much food!! :shock:

luv2bcruisin July 21st, 2009 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dianeteacher407
I also do not cruise for the food. Did anyone read the latest idea that the airlines have come up with: Your fare will be based on a combination of your weight and the weight of your luggage!

The reason that I want to know is because the food on Mariner was soooo bad, that my husband will no longer cruise RCCL. He just could not get over the fact that one cruise line (Carnival) could have such delicious food and RCCL was soooo bad! Everything, and I mean everything tasted the same. The lobster, if you want to call it that was pitiful! Do not ask for seconds. Your waiter looks at you with a stern face.

For me, I do not even finish firsts, however, my husband sometimes, when the food is edible asks for seconds.

We actually had a couple on the Mariner in 2007 who ate their way through the cruise. The ate 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners and had no less than 4 meals served in their cabin! Their tastebuds must be dull as the food was not good enough for one meal, let alone about 10.

Diane

I haven't been on a Carnival ship and I'm not sure that will ever happen but I have heard they have stepped it up as far as their food is concerned. But, I definitely have to disagree with you as far as the Mariner food is concerned. I really don't see how anyone can say that the food in the MDR is that bad. Yes, there were items that I've had better but if there is any item you don't like on the menu, of which there are many, you can always ask to have it replaced! Our wait team was phenomenal, if my husband couldn't decide between two items they would just automatically bring both. I just don't understand how some people can have so many problems with food. Yes, it's great to have good food, but there is so much more about taking a cruise! And, who cares what other people are eating, that's being way too judgemental!

WildRover July 24th, 2009 01:53 PM

Just off the Serenade. We ate mostly in the Windjammer which we thought was very good. Main Dining Room didn't always have a selection to our liking. The desserts were often tasteless. So where did that 2lbs I gained come from? LOL :D LOL

Dianeteacher407 July 24th, 2009 07:28 PM

What is judgemental is when you are told that because you are a smoker, you do not have the class to cruise on any ship. THAT IS WHAT I CONSIDER JUDGEMENTAL AND CRASS!!!!!

Diane

Surfguyxxx1 July 25th, 2009 05:39 PM

Well, for what it's worth, we have never had a bad meal on Royal. Sometime I feel that dining in the main dining room can be a bit repetitive though with their dishes. Lately I've gotten spoiled by spending more time in the Speciality Restaruants. Yes, it costs a little more each day, but well worth it.

felix_the_cat July 25th, 2009 08:57 PM

We've been sailing with RCL since 1985. The food has gone downhill tremendously, especially in the last 2 or 3 years. Last November when on the Independence the worst meal was a shrimp concoction that I almost spit out........it tasted like I had nothing but a mouth full of salt.

We have lowered our expectations but I don't know how much lower they can go. We do eat in Chops and Portofino's and enjoy that food but that is what they used to serve in the MDR at no extra charge.\

luv2bcruisin July 25th, 2009 09:13 PM

People eating more food than you think necessary isn't hurting you directly, secondhand smoke/smoking on the other hand is.

Dianeteacher407 July 26th, 2009 04:53 AM

Felix,

Did you request something else? If you did, did you receive the same reaction that I did on the Mariner? The waiter was, to say the least, not tooooo pleased!

Thanks
Diane

Manuel July 26th, 2009 07:50 AM

Once people got sucked in going to specialty restaurants, they should have realized that the quality of food would suffer.

If I want special restaurants I have plenty here in my hometown.

I never had a bad meal on any cruiseship, but if you are willing to pay extra, the day will come when you will have to pay extra for everything.

I am not cheap, I spend plenty on my cruises. I don't mind paying for fine wine or tours etc. but I won't pay extra for dinner. It was good food and excellent service that built the cruise industry, not charging extra money for decent meal.

TM

Dianeteacher407 July 26th, 2009 08:25 AM

Manuel,

Point taken and noted. The problem is that the quality of the food and service in the MDR has become so poor that the special restaurants are the only escape cruisers have from the fare that is offered as part of the cruise price.

RCCL knows this and will continue the present trend until cruisers make a statement with the control that only cruisers have....

BOOK ANOTHER CRUISE LINE! IF THIS DOES NOT SEND A MESSAGE NOTHING WILL!

Happy sailing....

Diane

thecruisequeen July 26th, 2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel
but I won't pay extra for dinner.

TM

I'm the same way. LOL I have never had a meal at Portofino or Chops and never intend to. The meals in the Dining Room are just fine for me. My vacations are never focused on food. I have not yet experienced a bad meal or bad service in the Dining Room.

Food is the enemy! :shock: :twisted: Like the old saying goes "A minute on the lips forever on the hips" LOL LOL I'm already 8 pounds overweight that I can't get rid of. :(

Any of my fellow underweight cruisemates want 8 pounds?? :wink:

felix_the_cat July 26th, 2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dianeteacher407
Felix,

Did you request something else? If you did, did you receive the same reaction that I did on the Mariner? The waiter was, to say the least, not tooooo pleased!

Thanks
Diane

Just ice cream - anything to clear the salt taste. (and a bucket of water)

Mike-Suz July 26th, 2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfguyxxx1
Well, for what it's worth, we have never had a bad meal on Royal. Sometime I feel that dining in the main dining room can be a bit repetitive though with their dishes. Lately I've gotten spoiled by spending more time in the Speciality Restaruants. Yes, it costs a little more each day, but well worth it.

It wasn't worth it in our case where the meal we had at Portofino was nothing special and my wife's Spedino Di Mare was just awful.
On the other hand, we've had wonderful meals in the MDR especially the Chilean sea bass... just scrumptious... and then they offer a steak that was substandard. It's become a game of pick and choose to get something worthwhile.
There was a time when anything you ordered on a cruise was mouth watering... and those days still exist... on Silversea, Regent Radison, Crystal..... You can't expect top of the line cuisine at bargain basement prices. The food offered on Royal is good wholesome fare, some really good and others not so much. So it goes... it is what it is.

addicted2 July 26th, 2009 03:31 PM

We have only cruised RCL so we don't have another line to compare with, however we have never had a problem with the food. We cruise for the ports of call and the ammenities the ship has to offer and not for the food, but we have always been able to find something to our liking whether at the MDR, Windjammer or Specialty Restaurants.

donnatelemundo July 26th, 2009 04:06 PM

RC food is not that good :arrow: