Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 2nd, 2009, 07:58 AM
Passenger

Default Tipping at Portofino

My husband and I are cruising in November and would like to make a couple of reservations at Portofino. I'm not sure what is appropriate to tip. Any advice?

Explorer of the Seas

Liberty of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:51 AM
First Mate

The issue or should I say question of tipping at specialty restuarants has been debated ad infinatum ( and perhaps nauseum as well) on this and other boards.

Some say that the price you pay for dining there includes the gratuity.

Others disagree.

I can only speak for ourselves. We dined at Portofino on AOS last October. It was one of the best meals we have ever had. The service was excellent. There were 2 servers who handled our table. We tipped $20.

We have also dined in the specialty restaurants on Celebrity's Summit and Constellation. Both times we tipped $20.

Again, this is us, and as I have said, others have (and I'm sure will) disagree.

Whatever you do, enjoy both the cruise and the meal. You will not be sorry you chose to dine there.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 2nd, 2009, 09:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

We too tip $10 to $20 as well. Entirely up to you what you do
Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:44 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the replies. We would feel more comfortable tipping but had no idea how much.

Explorer of the Seas

Liberty of the Seas
Old August 2nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
Captain

We also add to the gratuity but your receipt does say the gratuity is included. Obviously there is a line for additional gratuity which is where we usually add $4.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 10:40 PM
Admiral

It is very clearly stated that the extra charge includes the gratuities. In saying that, we usually do leave an extra gratuitity because we find the service is so good.

Twice though, we have not left anything extra as we felt the service was definitely sub-par.

Our attitude is the same in the MDR. We have always left at least the required gratuity at the end of the cruise but a couple of times we have chosen to change who gets what as the waiter was not very good and the assistant made up for it. The assistant got the larger amount.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old August 11th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Whenever we've dined at either Portofino's or Chops, we have added additional tips onto the bill.

They say that the additional $ for dining in the restaurant covers the gratuity but we have always had such great service with friendly staff who spend a lot of time talking with us and making sure everthing is ok, we felt that we wanted to add a little more to the tip to show them our thanks. Usually, it's another $5 per person.

Adventure-12/03 S.Carib;Explorer-12/04 W.Carib;Jewel-12/05 W.Carib;Serenade-7/06 Alaska;Rhapsody-12/06 E.Carib;Adventure-12/07 S.Carib;Radiance-10/08 Pan.Canal;Splendour-8/09 Greece;Oasis-8/10 W.Carib;Navigator-12/10 W. Carib;Liberty-2/11 W.Carib;Mariner-6/11 Med.;Brilliance-2/13 E.Carib.
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Captain

I/we usually go with $20 for 2 of us in the speciality restaurants. There was a time that we did $30 but it was so worth it. Our servers knew what we wanted, delivered it with expertise, left us alone as we dined as a couple and were there when we needed anything else. It was actually on a Royal Caribbean cruise, Explorer.
As I get older, I can appreciate the finer things in life which I didn't always get growing up in a family of 9 children.
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14
Freedom OTS-10/14

Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15
Old August 21st, 2009, 02:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid1962
The issue or should I say question of tipping at specialty restuarants has been debated ad infinatum ( and perhaps nauseum as well) on this and other boards.

Some say that the price you pay for dining there includes the gratuity.

Others disagree.

I can only speak for ourselves. We dined at Portofino on AOS last October. It was one of the best meals we have ever had. The service was excellent. There were 2 servers who handled our table. We tipped $20.

We have also dined in the specialty restaurants on Celebrity's Summit and Constellation. Both times we tipped $20.

Again, this is us, and as I have said, others have (and I'm sure will) disagree.

Whatever you do, enjoy both the cruise and the meal. You will not be sorry you chose to dine there.
I also had one of my best meals at Portofino and I also tipped $20.00(2 people). If my memory serves I think the built in tip was 4 dollars and change. I would have had to leave the restaurant with my head hanging in shame to give that tip for a meal that would normally be an easy $100.00 a couple