CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   wine on board (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/366978-wine-board.html)

Jiffymom August 10th, 2009 09:00 PM

wine on board

Did I read you can bring wine on board just not hard liquor? What about sodas or bottled water?

Mike-Suz August 10th, 2009 09:35 PM

No you didn't read that you can bring wine aboard a Royal Caribbean cruise.
Most others you can.... not Royal. Sodas and bottled water they allow you to bring on board.

Manuel August 10th, 2009 10:09 PM

Wine onboard is not that expensive and there is plenty to choose from. I allways have wine with dinner and the price is about the same as it is in a restaurant back home.

TM

Mike-Suz August 11th, 2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel
Wine onboard is not that expensive and there is plenty to choose from. I allways have wine with dinner and the price is about the same as it is in a restaurant back home.

TM

Quite true !!!!! But not nearly as cheap as the wine aisle at Walmart!! LOL
I have to admit it seriously burns my ass to see a bottle of Blackstone Merlot listed at $32 when I can buy it almost anywhere for $8.99

Manuel August 11th, 2009 03:28 PM

Wine is cheaper at home, but I have enough stuff to carry as is is. When we are in a vacation seting prices are bound to be hifger than they are at home.

TM

Jiffymom August 11th, 2009 03:56 PM

We always buy the wine package for our dinner but since we live in california and don't have to fly I just thought it would be nice to have a few bottles to have on our balcony during sail aways. But guess not.

Manuel August 11th, 2009 05:57 PM

Since you drive to the ship, you can allways have a bottle in your checked luggage. I don't think that they check for wine in your suitcases.

TM

Surfguyxxx1 August 11th, 2009 07:35 PM

I just bought a bottle of Santa Margherita, Pinot Grigio for $19.99 on sale.
I just looked onboard/online and it was selling $48.99 on the ship. OUCH!

Manuel August 12th, 2009 12:21 PM

I went to a comedy show last friday, and paid $18 for 2 glasses of wine.
When we are in a tourist/resort type of place, things cost a little more.

On my cruises, I just relax and go with the flow as far as drink prices.

TM

Mike-Suz August 12th, 2009 08:03 PM

Yea I do too... but it still burns a little....
My last cruise on Freedom OTS is responsible for my latest
obsession with Mango Mojito's LOL

Manuel August 12th, 2009 10:39 PM

I know what you mean. I got hooked on martinies on the Mercury a few years ago.

TM

Surfguyxxx1 August 13th, 2009 08:23 PM

Ahhh, martini's. Grey Goose, extra dry with a twist of lemon peel; $10.50. Such a luxury!

Manuel August 14th, 2009 12:11 PM

We paid 9 euros for a glass of wine in Germany while we were having lunch by the Rhine river. Since they added a gratuaty with our lunch that wine cost about $15 a glass. But we were in a group of six and we had a great time.

TM

Mike L August 14th, 2009 01:12 PM

Wine

I never had a problem with wine packed in luggage until my last Royal Caribbean cruise in 2008. Only 2 bottles, $70.00 total, but when I opened the suitcase found a note saying I could pick it up after the cruise.

My last two cruises have been with HAL which has no problem letting you bring wine on board.

Trackypup August 17th, 2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

We paid 9 euros for a glass of wine in Germany while we were having lunch by the Rhine river. Since they added a gratuaty with our lunch that wine cost about $15 a glass. But we were in a group of six and we had a great time.

TM

Yeah, but how much would you have paid for that bottle of wine to enjoy in your hotel room overlooking the Rhine? ;)

jdmac October 14th, 2009 04:31 AM

Have your TA order wine for delivery to your cabin.Selection is usually limited to chardonnay or merlot,quality is house vintage but the price is about 50 % less than what you will pay on board. we had no issues bringing this wine to dining room.It's amazing what a tip to the right person can do regarding corkage charge :wink:

dave 3261 October 15th, 2009 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike-Suz
Quote:

TM

Quite true !!!!! But not nearly as cheap as the wine aisle at Walmart!! LOL
I have to admit it seriously burns my ass to see a bottle of Blackstone Merlot listed at $32 when I can buy it almost anywhere for $8.99

They sell wine at Walmart!!

Not in New York :(

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2009
RCI Explorer of the Seas, January 2010

Mike-Suz October 15th, 2009 12:34 PM

Yea Dave, you can't purchase alcohol at supermarkets in NYC.
But almost everywhere else you can !!!!

Surfguyxxx1 October 26th, 2009 06:44 PM

I just got off the Mariner of the Seas and did the wine package. We choose the "Diamond Package" which was $189 for 7 bottles which comes out to $27 a bottle. It is not the greatest selection, but it was nice not have to choose from a list of about 200 varities. We had Merlots, Chardonnays, Pinot Noir's and they were all good. Not the best I've had, but this cruise was about being on a budget.

critterchick October 28th, 2009 09:45 PM

Here's a link to the full wine list. It's still current, although given the difficulty we had ordering some of our favorites last month on Radiance, I wonder if they're about to change it:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562747533yjShXM