Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2009, 04:35 PM
First Mate

Default No more vests on muster drill?

I just read a post on another cruise forum, from a couple who were on Majesty OTS in July. They stated that passengers did not have to bring their vests to the muster drill. They further stated that as of September 1, 2009 this would be implemented for all ships. They also said the muster station is now printed on the Sea Pass card. Has anyone else experienced this or heard anything regarding changes to muster drills?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
2010 RCCL Oasis Of The Seas
2009 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (so nice we did it twice)
2008 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (!!wow!!)
2007 Carnival Glory (Super Bowl - Bears vs Colts)
2005 Carnival Sensation (again)
2004 Carnival Sensation
1993 Celebrity Horizon
1991 Celebrity Meridian
Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thats correct. No vests at muster drill for our cruise on Liberty 7/18/09.
Old August 16th, 2009, 05:21 PM
First Mate

THAT'S &%$@*&^ AWESOME ! ! ! ! ! !

This calls for a celebration !!!!!

(by the way.... I love that nickname PORTSLUG... edgy with a dose of cool)

2004 Carnival Sensation
1993 Celebrity Horizon
1991 Celebrity Meridian
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Passenger

Well, this IS a call or a celebration! There's just something about being too close to others, sweaty-hot with the oh-so-lovely fragrance of the life jackets.
Adventure Of The Seas 3/11/07
Adventure Of The Seas 9/18/05
NCL's STAR - Alaska 6/6/04
Sensation - W. Caribbean 2/21/04
Inspiration - W. Caribbean 6/8/03
Pride - W. Caribbean 6/02
NCL's Sky - Alaska 6/01
HAL's Zaandam - E. Caribbean 6/00
HAL's Ryndam - Alaska 9/98
Fantasy - Bahamas 6/97
E.O.S. -'80
Old August 16th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Ahhh.... No more fashion forward sights like the bride in her wedding dress adorned with a bright orange life vest!

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old August 16th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Familiar Face

This is a BAD idea. It was the muster drill that ensured we knew how to put on our vests and found out that the clasp on our son's vest was broken and would not have held him at all. I hate the muster drill too, but people have to know what to do and how to do it or they will run around in a panic if a real emergency occurs. I'll be sure to inspect my vests anyway each cruise. (If I go again, seems they want to charge for babies)

Sovereign of the Seas (Sept 2002)
Enchantment of the Seas (Sept 2003)
Monarch of the Seas (August 2009)
Monarch of the Seas (April 2011)
Enchantment of the Seas- Port Canaveral (May 2013)
Enchantment of the Seas - (April 2014)
Hope for a BIG ship in 2015! (heck with that, we'll take a small one for 2014!)
Old August 16th, 2009, 09:12 PM
First Mate

Couldn't agree more about trying on and inspecting the life vests assigned to you. And if you're unsure about anything I'm positive that there's staff that could assist.
However... I'm still gonna celebrate not having to wear them to the big orange cluster $%#&.
(Pardon my language.. I'm originally from Brooklyn)

2004 Carnival Sensation
1993 Celebrity Horizon
1991 Celebrity Meridian
Old August 16th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Admiral

Yep the station is right on the seapass now. Liberty no Life vest needed however Explorer you needed your life vest for the drill.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old August 17th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Shahram: I AGREE.

People cannot follow instructions when the weather is perfect, seas are calm, when they are not worried about smoke, fire, crowds running around screaming, rogue waves, rain, lightening, etc.

They could not figure out how to wear the vests and they could not figure out how to even walk without tripping over their own strap dragging underneath them because they could not even hold the vests without stuff dragging behind them.

I will also inspect all vests just before leaving for the muster drill.
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Familiar Face

Yep we were on the Freedom last week and we did not have to bring of life vests. Which was great becuase it is so cramped and 90+ degrees. They also did print our muster station on our room key/ sign&Sail pass.
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Captain

I don't mean to sound overly cautious, but I think it's a bad idea. People really should get the hang of putting on the vest at least once and getting outside with it on. There's all kinds of studies that show people who have at least done some practice drills for emergency situations (at sea, land or in the air) are far more likely to come out alive. Of course, the drills are chaotic and no fun. But what do people think the real thing will be like if something happens?... It will be the one's who have put some thought ahead of time in to surviving that will more than likely do just that. I respectfully disagree with the folks who think the trade off is worth it just so they aren't uncomfortable or inconvenienced for a few minutes. People need to know how and when to put the vest on, get out to the deck and get their a@@@@ lined up for the life boats. Would it really be ok with any of you if your kid's schools stopped doing fire drills and just had a quick lecture instead on what to do if the fire alarm goes off?

Last time I flew back from a cruise on ATA, the copilot came in to the passenger seating area before the flight and firmly but politely stated that he wanted everyone to put down their reading materials, electronic crap and whatever else and LISTEN to the flight attendent's standard emergency pre-flight instructions they always read. When she was done, he gave us some additional safety info. I think some people were kind of taken by surprise but I thought it was great. THIS was a guy I would want flying if there was an emergency on board...minor or severe!

The no life vest thing will seem wonderful until something happens...Sorry, it's only a matter of time. It may not be something large scale, but there will be an event when it will be called in to question why people weren't instructed on vest use. Everytime we let our guards down when it comes to safety or security, it always comes back to haunt us...EVERY time.
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:55 AM
First Mate

I don't know for sure but I bet that even though you are not required to wear the life vests at the muster drill that the crew in charge still give instructions on how to put them on and how the light and whistles work. The same instructions they have always given. Maybe CQ and others who have cruised recently can confirm this.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old August 29th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Admiral

The drill is the same just without the vests. You still get the instructions from the crew.

As much as I hate putting on the vest in the hot Miami heat I have to agree with Ready. I think it is a good idea to keep the drill with the vests.

I'm thinking in case of an emergency some cruises will not know how to put on their vests and might not even know where the vests are in the cabin.

I've seen people during the drill.....
1. talking
2. texting
3. reading the compass
4. polishing nails
5. eyes shut

It is kinda like some folks that go to church their body is there but they have no idea what is going on. :o

I think the most important thing is for your cruising party to know where the vests are and try them on in the cabin. Those with kids should have the kids trying on the vests a few times to see that they got it right and get them familiar with where the station is.

You just do not know how people will react in an emergency if the ships alarm went off. I don't think all cruisers would be cool and calm there would be some panic. I hope nobody ever has to experience this but you never know anything can happen.

These two kids did not seem to mind trying on the vests. The kid on the left is not straped in correctly. :o

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old August 30th, 2009, 04:05 PM
First Mate

I'm not exactly sure, but isn't part of the reason for the change is that they now have lifejackets for everyone stored at the muster stations in addition to the ones in the rooms. I know that is how it is going to be on the Oasis and thought they were doing it fleet wide. A good idea especially since you would probably not be in your room at the time of an emergency and would not need to go get your lifejacket. They still have them in the rooms too just in case. Another thing doesn't all these changes have to pass coast guard and international safety rules before being implemented. So if they approved the changes it is okay with me. I will however miss the pictures with the orange vests and the kids oh so happy faces during the drills on our past cruises. They make great scrapbook pages.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Admiral

I am not sure this is going to be fleet-wide. It depends on the ship and whether there is room at the muster stations to store the life jackets. That was my take on Richard Fain's comments about this topic.

Some people can do well donning a life jacket at the drill but will forget it in the heat of the moment should a real emergency occur. Another thing to realize is the need to immediately don a life jacket or risk drowning is exceedingly remote. People tend to get a Titanic mindset about the muster stations, and that is - pardon the pun - going a bit overboard.

We didn't use the jackets for our drill on the Celebrity Equinox preview cruise in July. We went to inside muster stations (mine was the main show room) and they showed a video of emergency procedures, and then the crew did the demo and pointed out the routes to the boats.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:07 PM
Passenger

Friends of ours were on their first cruise and attended the drill and practiced and listened intently. Stored their vests where they knew they could get to them easily. Later, they went to bed and were sound asleep when they heard the bells. Quickly they donned their vests (in their bed clothes) and hurried outside. They wondered why no one else out there --and realized ...... it was their phone that was ringing.
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Captain

I'm with Mike and Suz on this on. To not have to go back to your room, find your vest from under your bed, donn it and walk down the hall and stairs with 1000 other vested cruisers is a blessing.
I'm sure RC has answered all of the important questions before implementing this radical decision. According to Adam Goldstein, president of RC, all the ships in the fleet will eventually be fitted with this new idea as heard on his 09/02/2009 broadcast. And, as CruiseQueen states, you still go to the drill and "listen attentively" to all directions from the captain/crew.
Then, you can go on your merry way instead of trudging back two flights of stairs, down the hallway and into your room.
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Old September 15th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on Splendour last month and no vests. I'm with the majority here, we were celebrating not having to wear those things to muster. But...I also agree that you should still check out the vests in the stateroom to be sure that they are functioning correctly. And like on an airplane, the staff did show you how to put on the vests and secure them and make sure the whistle and light were on the vest. I think it's a great change to not have to go back to the stateroom to fetch that vest before heading to muster.

Adventure-12/03 S.Carib;Explorer-12/04 W.Carib;Jewel-12/05 W.Carib;Serenade-7/06 Alaska;Rhapsody-12/06 E.Carib;Adventure-12/07 S.Carib;Radiance-10/08 Pan.Canal;Splendour-8/09 Greece;Oasis-8/10 W.Carib;Navigator-12/10 W. Carib;Liberty-2/11 W.Carib;Mariner-6/11 Med.;Brilliance-2/13 E.Carib.