CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Explorer of the Seas Aug. 6, 2009 :) (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/367162-explorer-seas-aug-6-2009-a.html)

thecruisequeen August 16th, 2009 11:50 PM

Explorer of the Seas Aug. 6, 2009 :)

Ports - St. Maartan, San Juan, St. Thomas, Bermuda (9 nites)

The man in Charge - Captain Ryan
Cruise Director - Good Day Dave (Dave Chapman)
Favorite drink on this cruise - Love Connection :twisted:

Weather was very good hot and sunny. However day 2 was rocky from 3am to 1pm most cruisers were in their cabins. However at 1pm when the rocking stopped many were at the pool.

Chair hogs were out and in full force. :D I reserved my chair by 9am. :twisted:

This was the first cruise where no airfare was needed. Car service picked us up and one hour later the Explorer was in view. :D

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._5843042_n.jpg

Being we were just fresh off Liberty My Love plus the Explorer is now 11 years old I was not sure just how nice of a ship Explorer would be.

I did see the difference in size and was comparing how much bigger the windjammer, pool area, staircases and kids club were on Freedom class ships.

Most of my fellow cruisers were from the Jersey/New York/Philly/CT area.

The ship is in wonderful shape I was expecting wear and tear for an older ship. Everytime while in port out come the crew to clean the ship they were everywhere more so then in any other one of my cruises. She is going into dry dock in January.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._3225982_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._3523666_n.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._6773422_n.jpg

The sailaway party was alot of fun and it was cool going under the bridge.

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._4892149_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...5_488454_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...6_594941_n.jpg

My first time to Bermuda and I loved it and will be back. Horseshoe Bay was the best. Found a home that was for sale that I would love to buy for 1.5 million. :roll:

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._5895749_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...5_395670_n.jpg

St. Maartan we went to the beach for about an hour then back to the ship.

St. Thomas we went to Coral World Ocean Park and it was fun.

San Juan since my zipline was soldout :roll: I decided to take a short walk however when I exited the ship I noticed Senor Frogs there so off I was to SF to get my balloon hat and have some shots. :twisted: :twisted: I did not want to go far since the ship was in San Juan for a short time.

Food was great. Each nite had a fish dinner and everything was good.

Entertainment was very good also. Two comedians were funny. A magician/comedian was good. The production show "An invitation to Dance" was very good featured the Royal Caribbean dancers choreographed by Louie Van Amstrong from Dancing with the stars. :-P
There were two evenings of poolside dancing, 70's nite (loved it) two parades and the Quest where a cruiser removed his eye! (Gross) :o
Poolside games - Twister, Belly Flop, Sexy Legs, Jenga, Mr. Hunk, Ms. Biceps and alot of line dancing. :-P

The crew on this ship is awesome! Good Day Dave/CD is excellent he is right up there with Rich Spacey. He does some original stuff that has you laughing and not just the basic "how to be a CD for dummies 101"
He was also visable and took part in the Sexy Legs contest which CD's never do they have one of their staffers do it. Plus he was the poolside Salsa teacher and all the ladies were happy about that when I post my pictures you will see why. :wink: :twisted: :-P He is off to the Mariner so anyone on the Mariner in the next two months are in for a treat.
Thanks do our waiter Big D (Deson from Serbia) for the wonderful service and the 3 lobsters and extra escargot when it was not on the menu. :wink:

Music around the ship was very good. Latin band was good. DJ Savio was excellent. Poolside band Vibes are the best pool band Royal has got. I've seen them on the Navigator in Feb. and they did remember me as the Navigator Dancing Queen. :shock: :D Their music is wonderful they can play a Rod Stewart song and make it Calypso and sound good. 8) :D Just Awesome!!

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._6482547_n.jpg

Did the Bridge tour and the Galley tour. Interesting to know that the galley bakes 3,000 cookies a day! :shock: :-P 8)

One thing good about a departure close to home is many locals on the ship. Met some wonderful people and made new friends. Only this time we can meet up for dinner since we are so close instead of making friends from other states where you stay in touch by email/FB only. My son also made a friend and just so happens he lives 5 mintues from us. So they will be getting together soon.

Jersey and NY folks are fun and can discuss any topic. Here are some of the topics discussed on sea days while I was in the hot tub.

1. There is a BahamaPapa drink in addtion to the Bahamamomma. However Papa is the stronger version. :-P

2. Green Tea reduces a woman's breast size. :o :evil:

3. After St. Maartan there were a few couples in the hot tub talking about their day in Orient Beach and they mentioned the nude guy with the super big ****. :shock: They thought it was fake and had to get a closer look. :shock: :-P :twisted: At that point while I was sitting in the hot tub I thought now why did I not go to Orient beach!!!rofl

I have learned that on my next cruise I will try a BahamaPapa, I will never drink Green Tea and next time in St. Maartan I will go to Orient Beach. :wink:

We will be on Explorer again next year it was an awesome cruise. :D Alot of laughter with my fellow cruisers and the staff also alot of dancing. LOL

Bought the Week in review video I am all over in it. LOL

Thank you to.....
Big D (waiter)
Assistant Waiter
Abel (Room Attendant)
Ricardo (Diamond Lounge)
Arnie (Diamond Lounge)
Sharon (Disco Bartender)
Vibes (Poolside Band)
Mirage (Latin Dance Band)
Good Day Dave (CD)
Darryl (CD staff)

Let's see if I can find anything to nitpick about????

Oh yea! Once again from an inside cabin Gar. they gave me a promenade cabin. We had three teenage boys next door and they made soooo much noise. They were jumping on the beds, throwing things around yelling and screaming. I had to talk to them almost everyday. One day I was getting ready for dinner and they were sooo loud I was starting to have a headache. I marched over there knocked on the door and told them to shut the hell up. 8) :wink: :twisted:
Seems like the promenade rooms are popular with teenagers/kids. :-?

The hot tubs ruined two of my swimsuits. :-? I have no idea why. the bottom of my swimsuit has faded to a lighter color and now does not match the top this has never happened before. I need to buy new swimsuits. :roll: :twisted:

The dining room was too cold.

Kids splashing in the hot tub. :evil: :o

Until we meet again Explorer!! xoxoxo

Manuel August 17th, 2009 07:35 AM

CQ, that was an excellent review, and very informative as well. Now I am thinking of doing a cruise from the NY/Nj area so we won't have to fly.

TM

Mike-Suz August 17th, 2009 10:32 AM

Great review CQ welcome home. We're so glad to hear that you had another excellent cruise. We've been to Orient Beach twice and it's Suzanne's favorite.... (hmmm I wonder why....)
I remember cruising twice in the 90's from Manhattan to Bermuda and it was always very rough sailing off the coast of Cape Hatteras where 2 major Atlantic currents collide. I guess that hasn't changed :D

BOBfromNJ August 17th, 2009 10:38 AM

Great review
I had a question for you. We have been on the Explorer before but not for a 9-night which we are doing in May. I know there are 2 formal nights, but we like to eat a couple of times in the REALLY good Portofino's. Can you tell us which of the 2 nights are the formal ones? Thanks for your help.
Bob

venice August 17th, 2009 10:44 AM

once again, good review..one day you should really cruise the Greek Islands, they are famous for their nude beaches and you can take lots of pictures :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P

katlady August 17th, 2009 12:12 PM

Great review, I almost wish I booked the Mariner of the Seas instead of the Splendor just to have that CD. :D The Galley tour sounds like fun.

When Crazysis and I went to St. Maarten, she headed to Orient Beach and my hubby and I went on a snokel excursion. Anyway back on the ship Crazysis had the strangest sun burn ever. I'm sure it hurt like heck. That's an area I won't want to get a sun burn on. LOL

Manuel August 17th, 2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady
When Crazysis and I went to St. Maarten, she headed to Orient Beach and my hubby and I went on a snokel excursion. Anyway back on the ship Crazysis had the strangest sun burn ever. I'm sure it hurt like heck. That's an area I won't want to get a sun burn on. LOL

It sounds like Crazysis went topless. :)

TM

venice August 17th, 2009 12:53 PM

or bottomless :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: I'm trying to think thru why Green Tea would have such a side effect :idea: :idea: :idea:

CQ...getting back to the man on Orient Beach..when they got close enough .....did they tell you the answer :?:

glad that your son made a new friend that is only 5 minutes from you..what are you going to do when he gets old enough to be real interested in girls on one of your cruises :wink: :wink:

thecruisequeen August 17th, 2009 03:51 PM

TM - Try a cruise out of our area not bad at all. Explorer hits Bayonne alittle after 8am on debarkation day. Unlike in Miami where you wake up and the ship is already docked. The cabin steward was very nice and said no rush to get off the ship so we took our time. :twisted:

Mike-Suz - Yes another excellent cruise! From what the crew was saying most of the time you hit rough weather for alittle bit out of the nj/ny area. And the winter time will be even worse.

Bob - The two formals were Friday and Thursday.

Venice - The gals said they did get a closer look and it was all real. :shock: :-P But what is big to one person may not be big to another. :shock: :twisted: They went on and on talking so I'll take their word for it. I was laughing it was pretty funny. LOL :D :-P
When my son starts with the girl thing then we will cruise away from New Jersey area since once you debark that is it he would never see that gal again. :twisted: :twisted: Mom's are the best!!! :wink: :D :)

Kat - Good day dave will be on the Mariner only for two months. I'm glad Csis blended in and got a sunburn!! That is the way to do it! :wink: :twisted: :-P

kevin c August 17th, 2009 05:04 PM

hi CM, i was on the explorer for my first cruise back in 03. i have great memories of that. was there a bartender named wayne . if i remember right he was at the pool bar. KC

Annie S August 17th, 2009 05:20 PM

Cruisequeen,

You mentioned that there were 3 boys in the Promenade cabin next door.

Do they allow 3 in that cabin? I thought they were only for 2.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

venice August 17th, 2009 05:23 PM

CQ...wait till you have to live thru the first 'girl crush' your son goes thru :) :) .. and if he falls in love with a girl on a 7 day cruise that will add a new meaning to the term "love boat" :-P :-P

remember Speedo Man's mantra "objects on caribbean beaches on a 7 day cruise may appear ___________ then they really are based upon the number of bahamapapas or green tea that one consumed in the hot caribbean sun"

thecruisequeen August 17th, 2009 05:53 PM

Kevin - I did not see a Wayne at the pool bar. 2003 was so long ago he could be on another ship or left the industry.

Annie - The 3 boys were 12, 13 and 14 and their parents had a balcony cabin across from them. I'm not sure what kind of setup they had if there are even uppers in a promenade cabin. The poor cabin steward told me they would trash the room everyday even remove the mattress from the bed and put it on the floor. I spoke to their mother about the noise and she did talk to them however I had to mention something to them everyday.

Venice - don't remind me of the girl crushes I hope I have a few years left before that happens. :twisted: :-?
Yes depends on what you are drinking....Things are not as big as they appear sometimes. :-? LOL :-P

thecruisequeen August 17th, 2009 05:56 PM

Ok Kids some pics! :D LOL 8) :-P :twisted: :shock:

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=5160

venice August 17th, 2009 08:01 PM

great pictures (of course) :) :) ...absolutely stunning 1st night formal gown :!: :!: :!: ..let me guess you did not let on to your Salsa Teacher/CD, that you dance as well as you do, bet it required a lot of one on one :twisted: private :twisted: lessons :-P :-P :-P

you know you really should learn to be more outgoing on your cruises :roll: :roll: :roll: ..try to meet people and socialize more rather then be a wallflower :wink: :wink: your never going to meet a rich, handsome, single man by being soooooo shy :shock:

are you a runner as well as a Salsa dancer..your legs are well toned and very flattering 8) 8)

katlady August 18th, 2009 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by venice
or bottomless :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: I'm trying to think thru why Green Tea would have such a side effect :idea: :idea: :idea:

CQ...getting back to the man on Orient Beach..when they got close enough .....did they tell you the answer :?:

glad that your son made a new friend that is only 5 minutes from you..what are you going to do when he gets old enough to be real interested in girls on one of your cruises :wink: :wink:

I never had a single problem with Green Tea. :D They still remain the size they always were, just a little lower now. :( But that is gravity not green tea. LOL As far as Csis on orient beach, well what happens on orient beach stays on orient beach. :wink:

thecruisequeen August 19th, 2009 04:54 PM

Venice I'm the queen of outgoing :!: :twisted: I take after my mom's side of the family that know how to have fun :D however my dad's side of the family stand in a corner and watch the fun. :(

Kat Orient beach videos can be found on Youtube :shock: You just never know when one will be a Youtube star! LOL LOL
I know I must be on Youtube somewhere. Everytime I'm dancing poolside I see video Camara's pointing my way. :shock: :shock: :-? :evil:

I sooo miss my Explorer of the Seas :!: :!: Post Cruise Depression really sucks :!: :!: :evil: :x :o :( :cry: :roll:

kevin c August 19th, 2009 05:45 PM

CQ I HOPE WE SAIL ON THE SAME SHIP SOME DAY. I SAIL SOLO A LOT AND YOU SEEM TO BE A FUN PERSON TO BE AROUND. I'M NOT BEING FRESH JUST SOMEONE WHO LOVES CRUSEING WITH FUN PEOPLE.

dave 3261 August 21st, 2009 12:31 AM

Great review CQ!!!
I just booked today for a January 14th 10 night Caribbean. You mentioned she will be dry docking in January so maybe this will be her last cruise for a while??

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2009
RCI Explorer of the Seas, Jan. 2010

thecruisequeen August 21st, 2009 06:55 AM

Looks like Explorer will be in Drydock starting January 4 until January 14.

Dave you are on her first sailing after her makeover! :D

During one sea day I noticed two people (not cruisers) with clipboards taking notes, measuring the hot tub area and talking to one of the senior officers. :idea: LOL My guess is that work will be done with and around the hot tubs. 8) :-P

I plan to be back on Explorer next summer. I don't know what took me so long to cruise on the Explorer since she is only one hour away and so much fun.

I have to say Royal does take good care of their ships. Never did I think before the cruise that Explorer would be in such good shape for an 11 year old ship.

:D 8) :-P

Manuel August 21st, 2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
I plan to be back on Explorer next summer. I don't know what took me so long to cruise on the Explorer since she is only one hour away and so much fun.

Maybe Mrs. TM and I will join you.

TM

dave 3261 August 22nd, 2009 12:33 AM

Quote:

During one sea day I noticed two people (not cruisers) with clipboards taking notes, measuring the hot tub area and talking to one of the senior officers. :idea: LOL My guess is that work will be done with and around the hot tubs. 8) :-P

I have to say Royal does take good care of their ships. Never did I think before the cruise that Explorer would be in such good shape for an 11 year old ship.

Did you happen to notice that those fish tanks in the aquarium bar could use some help? Not many fish and not very colorful.

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2009
RCI Explorer of the Seas, January 2010

thecruisequeen August 22nd, 2009 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave 3261
Quote:

Did you happen to notice that those fish tanks in the aquarium bar could use some help? Not many fish and not very colorful.

Yep sure did! I asked Glen (aquarium bartender) if he was in charge of taking care of the fish. LOL :-P :shock: He said he was not but there is someone that is. 8)

I was alittle surprised to see that there was no Bolero's on the Explorer. They call it the Aquarium Bar with fish tanks and all. The band (Mirage) is from Mexico and they play latin music but also mix in other types of music including Elvis. :shock:
Jersey/New York cruisers are not known Latin Dancers and the Aquarium Bar was never packed you can always find a seat. :shock:
It was fun though to watch some of my fellow Jersey cruisers with their version of the Salsa. :-? :shock: :-P LOL

For the true feel of a Boleros latin club you have to sail on Royal ships that depart from San Juan or Miami.

thecruisequeen August 22nd, 2009 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel
Quote:

Maybe Mrs. TM and I will join you.

TM

TM that would be awesome and we do need to plan on cruising on the same sailing in the future. :-P

Manuel August 22nd, 2009 01:34 PM

CQ, I will keep in touch and we will do a cruise next summer (unless some emerrgency comes along).

I think that Mrs. TM will enjoy not having to fly to the cruiseport.

TM

thecruisequeen August 23rd, 2009 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel
CQ, I will keep in touch and we will do a cruise next summer (unless some emerrgency comes along).

I think that Mrs. TM will enjoy not having to fly to the cruiseport.

TM

Not having to fly is a plus!!!

I see that Explorer is changing it's ports. Instead of Bermuda/San Juan/St. Thomas/St. Martaan it will do.....

Thursday, August 5, 2010 Cape Liberty, Bayonne, N.j. -- 05:00 PM
Friday, August 6, 2010 Cruising -- --
Saturday, August 7, 2010 Kings Wharf, Bermuda 09:00 AM --
Sunday, August 8, 2010 Kings Wharf, Bermuda -- 05:00 PM
Monday, August 9, 2010 Cruising -- --
Tuesday, August 10, 2010 Nassau, Bahamas 10:00 AM 06:00 PM
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 Cococay, Bahamas 08:00 AM 05:00 PM
Thursday, August 12, 2010 Cruising -- --
Friday, August 13, 2010 Cruising -- --
Saturday, August 14, 2010 Cape Liberty, Bayonne, N.j. 08:00 AM --

I don't mind an overniter in Bermuda and I love Cococay and still have 4 full sea days. :D

Celebrity is shipping the Summit to Bayonne so that is an option too. :D

I also noticed Liberty My Love will be a Sunday Departure ship with stops in Cozumel and Belize.

Navigator will be sailing out of Miami and not Fort Lauderdale.

Alot of changes.....

So many ships so little time..... :-? :twisted: :D LOL LOL LOL

Manuel August 23rd, 2009 08:10 PM

We have cruised twice on the Summit but would love to do it again.

But the the explorer would fine also.

TM