CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Oasis verus the Norwegian Epic (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/367257-oasis-verus-norwegian-epic.html)

turbo August 19th, 2009 10:23 PM

Oasis verus the Norwegian Epic

I know both ships are new, but we have been pricing both ships and The Epic is about $1000.00 cheaper than the Oasis. We have cruised RCL before but never Norwegian. Do you think it is worth the $1000.00 to stay with RCL. Both ships are cruising to the same ports on the same date we are looking at.

addicted2 August 19th, 2009 10:29 PM

The Oasis is definately going to be worth the extra money. With all the new "neighborhoods", multiple specialty restaurants, flowriders and just the totally new ship design overall. Book now and watch the prices, plus keep an eye out for all the pr stuff in November I'm sure there will be plenty of news coverage when the ship is finished.

Sulross August 19th, 2009 10:36 PM

Oasis

Not sure of the $1,000.00 difference, but RCCL is a much better line than Norweigean. The cleanleness and various features on the lines is very different

thecruisequeen August 19th, 2009 10:39 PM

That would depend on your budget and what you are willing to spend. $1,000. is a big difference. I have in the past spend the extra $1,000. to be on a Royal ship versus another line. For me $1,000 more is worth it for the Oasis.

Either cruise they are both brand new ships. 8)

Since they are both doing the same ports I would suggest to take a look at both ship deck plans/layouts and make +/- notes on each ship.

Enjoy whichever you choose! :-P

erikhag August 20th, 2009 03:10 AM

People are so different so it's impossible to say if it's worth it for you!

It depends on what you need on a cruiseship. If you need lots of things to do the Oasis is probably better for you but if you don't need that I can't see why you shall pay $1000 more for Oasis when the ports are the same.

I could pay $1000 more for the Epic only to avoid the singing waiters but some people like that and that's fine with me, they can choose RCI.

vetmom August 20th, 2009 05:31 PM

I have never cruised royal carribean. but from what i understand it is a step up from princess. i have been on many cruises with princess and i recently took one on ncl. i chose ncl because of it's itenary to hawaii and the 4 islands. it did get me to the 4 islands in a week which was the main reason i chose ncl. otherwise, it was not nearly as nice as princess. the drinks were very weak and i am an easy drunk! they would fix you a drink, and then skirt a little alcohol on the top of it. the decor was tacky, and the class of people was a litte rougher. the balcony room was a little smaller, and the service was not as good. all of this to say, princess is a lot nicer than ncl, and i understand royal carribean is nicer than princess. good luck.

Manuel August 20th, 2009 07:22 PM

The Oasis would be the way to go. It will be a long time before any other cruiseline has anything to match the Oasis.

TM

erikhag August 21st, 2009 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetmom
I have never cruised royal carribean. but from what i understand it is a step up from princess. i have been on many cruises with princess and i recently took one on ncl. i chose ncl because of it's itenary to hawaii and the 4 islands. it did get me to the 4 islands in a week which was the main reason i chose ncl. otherwise, it was not nearly as nice as princess. the drinks were very weak and i am an easy drunk! they would fix you a drink, and then skirt a little alcohol on the top of it. the decor was tacky, and the class of people was a litte rougher. the balcony room was a little smaller, and the service was not as good. all of this to say, princess is a lot nicer than ncl, and i understand royal carribean is nicer than princess. good luck.

You have not cruised on NCL, you have cruised on NCL America.

JSnow789 August 21st, 2009 10:08 AM

Yikes! Epic and Oasis in the same ports on the same days? I think I'd look for an earlier/later cruise to avoid this. Or just stay on board and skip the ports-which is what I plan to do when I sail Oasis.

Plus Epic is a pretty ugly looking duck. ;)

erikhag August 22nd, 2009 03:54 AM

Epic and Oasis in the same port give us the possibility of a great excursion. Passengers on Epic could buy an excursion with a tour on the Oasis and passengers on Oasis could buy an excursion with a tour on the Epic!

Manuel August 22nd, 2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erikhag
Epic and Oasis in the same port give us the possibility of a great excursion. Passengers on Epic could buy an excursion with a tour on the Oasis and passengers on Oasis could buy an excursion with a tour on the Epic!

Someone on the Oasis would have no need to tour the Epic.

TM

erikhag August 24th, 2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manuel
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikhag

Someone on the Oasis would have no need to tour the Epic.

TM

People are different and the OP seems to be more interested in Epic than you, you don't have to take that tour! You obviously already know everything about the Epic so you don't need the tour.

I know that I have no interest in cruising with RCI but that doesn't mean that a tour on the Oasis would be a waste of time for me. Of course I can spend the whole cruise on the ship but sometimes it can be nice to get off and if I'm in a port I have already visited several times, I could be interested in boarding an RCI-ship. I might hate the RCI-ship but then I will be extra happy when I'm back on the NCL-ship so the time shouldn't be wasted.