Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Passenger

Default RC vs. Carnival

We are comparing iternaries and found the stops we like to Hawaii leaving out of VanCouver. We have only been on Celebrity and RC. RC has just about the same cruise as Carnival going out next Sept. The ports are almost identical. There is a $300 saving for inside and outside cabins on Carnival. We can get a balcony on Carnival for the price of an outside cabin on RC. Has anyone sailed on both lines. How are the services and food on Carnival in comparison with RC?

Thanks,

Know the iternary, just not which ship to take.

Explorer of the Sea 03/28/10
Explorer of the Sea 04/26/09
Explorer of the Sea 9/28/08
Celebrity Ships previous sailings
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Admiral

We've sailed both. Depending on which ship you are talking about, I would rate them very similar. We did find the food better on our Carnival cruise - at least better than RC has been serving over the last couple of years.

However, in saying that, food is so subjective and there will be those who take me to task and try to say that RCL is better. It is a case of to each his own.

As for the ship, except for not being able to get around the Carnival ships too easily, we were OK.

Until recently we have been real RCL fans. In fact we are D+ with them. Nevertheless, we are looking to spread out wings more than we have in the past.

If the difference is that kind of money I would have to seriously consider taking the Carnival ship.

But, as I said, it's a matter of which ship.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old August 25th, 2009, 02:44 PM
First Mate

We have been on Carnivals older ships and newer ships (Glory).
We've been on one Royal cruise so far, Freedom of the seas, a newer ship.

Royal has far more elegant looking ships, Carnivals ships are very plain looking often bordering on gaudy decor.
Food seems to be better on Carnival, but it's not bad on Royal.
Service was superb on Royal and frankly I never had a complaint on Carnival either. The more I compare the 2, the more it seems to come down to "eye candy" Royals ships are light years ahead of Carnival in decor and elegance of design and detail. I felt more "special" on Royal...
This may be a cliche' but it's like the difference one feels when shopping in Macy's versus Walmart.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
2010 RCCL Oasis Of The Seas
2009 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (so nice we did it twice)
2008 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (!!wow!!)
2007 Carnival Glory (Super Bowl - Bears vs Colts)
2005 Carnival Sensation (again)
2004 Carnival Sensation
1993 Celebrity Horizon
1991 Celebrity Meridian
Old August 25th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Admiral

I have sailed on both lines and I would be willing to pay a bit more for a RCL cruise.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 25th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Passenger

Carnival's ship is Carnival Spirit and RC has Rap. of the Sea.

They both seem to have similar number of passeng.

It's difficult cruising for the first time with a diff. line.

Thanks for the info.

Old August 25th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Admiral

I have only sailed on Carnival once and it was a good cruise. However my Royal cruises are beyond just good.

Your choice is a tough one same ports, same types of ships Spirit or Rap. however there is a price and cabin difference.

Food might be better on Carnival if food is important to you.

If the cruise is port intense then ship/line might not be as important as a cruise with more sea days.

Good luck and enjoy whichever you choose.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old August 26th, 2009, 12:41 AM
First Mate

Carnival Spirit is an 8 year old ship versus Royal Rhapsody which is a 12 year old ship.

We have never had bad service on any of our 3 Carnival cruises.
The food was also always very good, maybe a little bit fewer choices.
And Royal service which we will be experiencing again for the 2nd time REAL soon , was just superb in every way last year.
I think it's safe to say you'll have a good experience on either ship
We're 18 days away from our next cruise and I'm getting VERY antsy !!!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
2010 RCCL Oasis Of The Seas
2009 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (so nice we did it twice)
2008 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (!!wow!!)
2007 Carnival Glory (Super Bowl - Bears vs Colts)
2005 Carnival Sensation (again)
2004 Carnival Sensation
1993 Celebrity Horizon
1991 Celebrity Meridian
Old August 26th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by laccruise
Carnival's ship is Carnival Spirit and RC has Rap. of the Sea.

They both seem to have similar number of passeng.

It's difficult cruising for the first time with a diff. line.

Thanks for the info.
I think in this case I would go with the Spirit. I think the Rap. is an older ship and doesn't have near the bells and whistles the newer ones do. It doesn't even have a concierge or Chops. (Unless they've added one recently).

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old August 27th, 2009, 12:18 PM
First Mate

I would say that I have had a better time on RCCL. Carnival ships are plain and pretty boring in comparison. I've been on the Carnival Liberty and Carnival Valor and neither of those ships compare to the Royal Mariner.

My frank feeling about each line is this: On Carnival Ships you actually feel like you're sailing, on Royal you feel like you're vacationing.
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old August 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Passenger

When I thought I had my mind made up to book with Carnival, I went back into their site. I wanted to check out rooms prior to calling my TA. I had originally seen that the price was for the early booking price. I thought it's great to have an early booking price. This is what I used to compared or based the cruise line prices on. I found that the early booking price is several hundred dollars less than the reg. guar. rate for carnival. I didn't realize you are locked in and the cruise is non-refundable. Has anyone experienced this or is it new? Other than a health issue, I plan on going on one of the two ships that are going to Hawaii. With all the exceptions these days, I hope insurance would cover or reimburse us in full if we can't go. If I book at the standard price where you can get your money back in full prior to the last payment, its about the same as RC. The info I got on line so far indicates that the price is guar. so you can get a lower price. I doubt there will be a lower price than the early booking price, but who knows. I saved over $900 on our RC cruise that is coming up in March when there was a price drop.

Thanks for your help,

Old August 27th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
When I thought I had my mind made up to book with Carnival, I went back into their site. I wanted to check out rooms prior to calling my TA. I had originally seen that the price was for the early booking price. I thought it's great to have an early booking price. This is what I used to compared or based the cruise line prices on. I found that the early booking price is several hundred dollars less than the reg. guar. rate for carnival. I didn't realize you are locked in and the cruise is non-refundable. Has anyone experienced this or is it new? Other than a health issue, I plan on going on one of the two ships that are going to Hawaii. With all the exceptions these days, I hope insurance would cover or reimburse us in full if we can't go. If I book at the standard price where you can get your money back in full prior to the last payment, its about the same as RC. The info I got on line so far indicates that the price is guar. so you can get a lower price. I doubt there will be a lower price than the early booking price, but who knows. I saved over $900 on our RC cruise that is coming up in March when there was a price drop.

Thanks for your help,
Carnvial has an early booking price where the deposit is not refundable. I haven't run into the whole amount having to be paid upfront and not being refundable.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old August 27th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to cfwright6

If you cancel outside of penalty you can use it as a future cruise credit, and a $50 service fee per person. If you cancel within penalty I think you don't get it back at all... insurance would cover you anyhow wouldn't it? I have been on the Spirit in Alaska and Mexico and i like that ship alot. Have not been on Rap..
Old August 27th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Passenger

I must have said it wrong. You only have to make the regular deposit not the full amount the time of deposit. What I read said it's not refundable. I take it as meaning before the final deposit is made, you can't get the deposit back like the standard deposit. I didn't know you can switch to a diff. cruise with a $50 penalty.
Thanks,

Old August 27th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Passenger

Can you tell me what CHOPS is?

Old August 27th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Can you tell me what CHOPS is?
CHOPS is a pay restaurant on most RCL ships.. It has the food that used to be served in the dining room. We have to go at least once on every cruise and sometimes twice. The food is outstanding.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old August 27th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I must have said it wrong. You only have to make the regular deposit not the full amount the time of deposit. What I read said it's not refundable. I take it as meaning before the final deposit is made, you can't get the deposit back like the standard deposit. I didn't know you can switch to a diff. cruise with a $50 penalty.
Thanks,
Yes, that's true, Carnival does have a program that gives you really cheap prices but your deposit is non-refundable even before final payment. That's why I don't sell Carnival using that program. Too easy to lose money.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old August 28th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Beginner

There is no greater vacation value than a Past Passenger fare for a Carnival cruise. For a basic inside cabin(of your choice)two can sail a 7nt.
Eastern or Western Carribean itinerary for less than $800, incl. port charges and taxes. You just have to keep checking everyday the Carnival website. RCL rates can be hundreds of dollars more for the very same itinerary! True! The newest RCL ships are more opulent, but your paying for it. Food, service, entertainment, etc. vary from ship to ship in either fleet. One will have a tendency to over look trivial complaints on Carnival because of the low price, naturally more will be expected from RCL when you pay more.
Old August 28th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Beginner

Default RC vs Carnival

I would agree with Felix_the_Cat, and would emphasize the importance of the Ship you are on. We were on the Carnival Pride shortly after launch and found it to be very nice. Some of Carnival's older ships don't appear to be nearly as nice. For the record, we've been on Grandieur o/t Seas and Navigator o/t Seas.

Have fun!!
Old August 28th, 2009, 03:30 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince819
There is no greater vacation value than a Past Passenger fare for a Carnival cruise. For a basic inside cabin(of your choice)two can sail a 7nt.
Eastern or Western Carribean itinerary for less than $800, incl. port charges and taxes. You just have to keep checking everyday the Carnival website. RCL rates can be hundreds of dollars more for the very same itinerary! True! The newest RCL ships are more opulent, but your paying for it. Food, service, entertainment, etc. vary from ship to ship in either fleet. One will have a tendency to over look trivial complaints on Carnival because of the low price, naturally more will be expected from RCL when you pay more.
Hopefully we can agree to disagree. I've one day seen prices on RC flux just as much as they do on Carnival. For my cruise next week (9.6.09), I was in the booking process for an Inside Cabin on RC and something happened on the website so when I went back the booking was lost. I called RC (because the category I was trying to book was no longer avail), and the RC agent got me a balcony cabin for $100 (total), more than what I was about to pay for an inside cabin. The deals are there, you just have to find them.

The Carnival Liberty and Carnival Valor are in the same "class" as The RCCL Mariner, but these ships are two totally different beasts when it comes to everything else; in my opinion. Hands down and under a blanket, the Mariner outclasses CCL Liberty and Valor.

When it comes to spending the extra money; I now have no problem doing it with RCCL because unlike when I cruised Carnival, I actually wanted to be out of my cabin because the ships seemed so much more lively.
Old August 29th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Beginner

Hey EMG! Sounds like you got a pretty good deal. I see you sailed the
Carnival Liberty. I'll be doing the Western Carribean wk of 9/26 on it.
Reviewers say it is one of the more tastefully decorated Carnival ships, a little more like the Holland America fleet. How do you see it? :o
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:28 PM
First Mate

Just checked my images from that cruise and it's unfortunate that I didn't take ANY pics of the interior but; in my opinion this ship was less flashy in the decor and more upscale or; so it felt. I'm not sure that was a good thing because although the ship was nice, I think I remember finding it a little boring. This is just my opinion so; don't let me bias your opinion when you sail this ship.
Old September 5th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Captain

I've done both and I like to think of myself as a "Royal Commando". The service is far superior in my books. I just got off a Carnival 5 day and never met my cabin attendant. Food was good, not great and if you gave me 1 million dollars, I still couldn't tell you the name of my waiter. The price was right however for the 5 day; $325 for balcony stateroom but for longer cruises, I'd go with RC. Better service, more attentive staff, better cocktails, less of a "drinking" crowd, cleaner and more attractive decor.
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012