Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:13 PM
blueliner's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joycoffey
For those of you following the saga of our nightmare......I got a call from the Insurance company today saying they were sending us a check for $2,600. They would not cover the missed cruise, but would give us the equalivant of what it would have cost to fly us to the next port (even though that was not an option) and some $$ towards having to spend a night somewhere before joining the ship. They let me know they were being VERY NICE by doing even this. They thought RCI should be giving up some $$ since they did not plan for another option even though they knew about the Jones act and that the slightest slip in the connection would be a disaster. So now with this 2,600 and the taxes that RCI refunded we are still out $3,500 for NOTHING. We were good RCI customers and I think they may have just lost us and 3 other couples we usually travel with. I AM SO ANGRY.....that they can just get away with taking people's money!!
My advice would be to speak with a civil attorney about this before you cash your check. You can dispute the insurance company's decision in a lawsuit, and I think you have a pretty good case here against the insurance company since their solution would have caused a violation of US law. My guess is the insurance company is hoping you will accept the less amount so they won't have tp pay the full claim. If you prevail in court or get a settlement, you can get all your money back plus damages. Speak to an attorney about this, really! You purchased the policy, you deserve to have your claim paid!
__________________
Scott

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:12 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9
Default

We had used a RCI Visa card to pay for the trip.....does anyone think it would help if we disputed the RCI charges....or is RCI just so big there is no fighting them? I h ave until Friday to put a dispute on those charges.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:15 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,647
Default

Absolutley dispute the charges. Do that right now. You did not get the product. Don't hesitate. You have nothing to loss and everything in the world to gain.
__________________
Dec. 13 - Windstar sailing yacht. Wonderful!!


Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.


Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)




44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:39 PM
blueliner's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,176
Default

Yes, dispute the charges!
__________________
Scott

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:21 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 366
Default

I am so sorry for your experience. Without reading the insurance policy and RCI's policy regarding booking flights with them, I am not sure which way you should go. Yes, I would dispute the charges. I also would get ahold of your attorney general's office of consumer fraud. I am a great believer in the power of the AG, but it depends on how good your AG is as an advocate. Because your situation is a bit complicated with an insurance policy and, as I have always heard, a policy of RCI regarding obligations if they book the flight, you might want to make an appointment, not just write a letter. Be sure you have all the contract language with you. I have often found, that a letter from an AG can resolve a problem. The added twist of the Jones Act and the insurance company's failure to acknowledge its complicating the matter, furthers complicates matters. An AG letter could also help with that dispute of charges with the credit card company. Since at this point, you are out about 3500, by the time you get this resolved, with attorney fees, you may not be made whole, there is no harm in trying the free people's attorney, first.

Have you written that letter to RCI, yet, or made contact with them? Their bookings allowed for no error, so I should think they could take some responsibility, like a credit for the remaining dollars to be used on your next trip.

Please keep us posted.
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old September 4th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Kuki's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Right here :)
Posts: 22,433
Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default

Sadly it is a misconception that if you book cruise line air they're responsible for getting to you to the ship.

I've always advised people to book air themselves, or if they book cruise air, pay for air deviation, and pick your own flights.

But.. depending on the insurance policy, I suspect they are much more responsible for covering you then they are letting on. The fact they say they are "being nice" would have me wondering!

If you have your policy, I would read it carefully. If it says it covers trip interruption, the insurance co. should be responsible for the total amount you insured.
__________________
Kuki
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old September 4th, 2009, 03:09 AM
katlady's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On the lido deck with drink of the day
Posts: 13,023
Default

Keep after everyone until someone gives you what you deserve. Be pushy like a bulldog.

Also there are places that offer free legal advice. They are normally law students that want the experience. I used one in California when my ex employer and I disagreed over my final payroll check (they paid me 3 weeks late and then short paid me). It took 11 months and I would have contuine forever. But I won and received my check (with penalties ).
__________________
One part age; three parts liquor!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old September 4th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: new orleans, la
Posts: 7,074
Default

Kat..when you finally got your settlement, did you make a small contribution to the free law clinic?
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old September 4th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Herriman, Ut
Posts: 319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltime
Oh, bless your heart! My husband & I had a similar incident years ago, but we did end up flying into the first port of call to meet the ship (and the rest of our family). I felt like I was on an episode of I Love Lucy. That was the trip that we vowed we would NEVER fly in on the day of a cruise. Well.........because of my husband's work schedule this week, we are having to fly to San Juan this Sunday to board our cruise that leaves that evening. I don't think I'll breathe a sigh of relief until we are actually on the ship!
I hope things work out for you and that you have a fabulous cruise in December.
We are flying in the same day at the end of Sept to Puerto Rico to catch our cruise too. We usually fly the day before so please let me know how the flight was and how your cruise went. Hopefully no other cruise nightmares.
__________________
Future Cruises:
Oasis September 3, 2011
Adventure November 20, 2011
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old September 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,647
Default

I agree with Kuki - I alway advise my clients to book privately. Booking with cruiselines is a nightmare. And I also don't find them one whit cheaper.

I received our insurance money last week for our cancelled cruise due to DH's heart attack. During the process of getting the information, I called the Holiday Inn for a cancellation receipt because we had pre-payed the hotel in Seattle, (something I normally just don't do)........To make a long story short, they asked me why I didn't ask for my money back - I explained that I didn't even consider asking for it as I had pre-paid knowing the rules. Guess what - they returned it to me immediately~!!! So, some business do the "right" thing. I hope your insurance company does.
__________________
Dec. 13 - Windstar sailing yacht. Wonderful!!


Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.


Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)




44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #41 (permalink)  
Old September 7th, 2009, 04:40 AM
katlady's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On the lido deck with drink of the day
Posts: 13,023
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
Kat..when you finally got your settlement, did you make a small contribution to the free law clinic?
Yup they did a great job.
__________________
One part age; three parts liquor!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old September 7th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winnipeg Manitoba
Posts: 26
Default

Joy...I feel your pain, and hope that your in a situation that this loss doesn't have a real bad affect on you. Some people are in a situation where they have saved for years, are on a limited budget, and this would be absolutely devastating. So...if you can afford the loss, I hope it lessens the mental impact.

I am travelling with a corporate group on Enchantment, leaving Lauderdale on Nov 14. My group (of 18) leaves Winnipeg, to Toronto, then Lauderdale, all on the same day. The ship starts boarding at 11:00am, and the flight doesn't even arrive in Lauderdale till after 1:00pm. I told my travel people at work that their crazy...in nice politically correct terms.

Now remember...we're coming from Canada...where the weather can get pretty crappy in mid-November, with snow or ice delaying aircraft. So...the chances that we will miss a flight, or be delayed are going to be pretty high.

When they didn't budge...I asked for a separate flight out (a day earlier) just for my wife and I.

So...when we get back from the cruise, and the other 16 people will have been at work, or spent the week in Florida (because they didn't listen to EXPERIENCE)...I'll refer them back to your story so that they are not alone. (No...I never use the "I told you so" thing.

I do hope things work out for you, and that you have a great future cruise.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old September 7th, 2009, 05:40 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnterpeg
Joy...I feel your pain, and hope that your in a situation that this loss doesn't have a real bad affect on you. Some people are in a situation where they have saved for years, are on a limited budget, and this would be absolutely devastating. So...if you can afford the loss, I hope it lessens the mental impact.

I am travelling with a corporate group on Enchantment, leaving Lauderdale on Nov 14. My group (of 18) leaves Winnipeg, to Toronto, then Lauderdale, all on the same day. The ship starts boarding at 11:00am, and the flight doesn't even arrive in Lauderdale till after 1:00pm. I told my travel people at work that their crazy...in nice politically correct terms.

Now remember...we're coming from Canada...where the weather can get pretty crappy in mid-November, with snow or ice delaying aircraft. So...the chances that we will miss a flight, or be delayed are going to be pretty high.

When they didn't budge...I asked for a separate flight out (a day earlier) just for my wife and I.

So...when we get back from the cruise, and the other 16 people will have been at work, or spent the week in Florida (because they didn't listen to EXPERIENCE)...I'll refer them back to your story so that they are not alone. (No...I never use the "I told you so" thing.

I do hope things work out for you, and that you have a great future cruise.
They are absolutely crazy to be going from 'Peg on the same day and then a change of plane in Toronto!! Air Canada I presume.

I just returned from 'Peg last night. I lived there far too long to even consider flying down the day of. Tell they others to be sure they have insurance!!!
__________________
Dec. 13 - Windstar sailing yacht. Wonderful!!


Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.


Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)




44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winnipeg Manitoba
Posts: 26
Default

Hey there cat...hope things are well.

My wife actually works for Air Canada...so we have the benefit of knowing how YYZ looks as far as delays in November.

Yup...their crazy...and yup we have insurance.

So...getting there the day before, and getting on the ship for the big party will be great for me and my wife.

The other 16, when they're still in Toronto airport (because of ice or snow, or mechanical...or crew not showing up for work) as the ship leaves, can begin finding other things to do for the week, book another week of vacation, and make an insurance claim....and hope.

I'll think of them with a marquerita in hand...and the knowledge of having advised my travel department well.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mechanicsburg, VA
Posts: 461
Default

Joycoffey:

Has any of this been settled yet? Curious to see what happened.
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Mike M's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: You're Looking At Me
Posts: 23,885
Default

This is directly from the Royal Caribbean Travel Agent Guide.

Responsibility:
Royal Caribbean in arranging for the transportation of guests to and from the ship, does so with independent contractors and only as a convenience to the guests.
Royal Caribbean is NOT responsible for incidents such as airline cancellations, reroutings or any disruption of scheduled services or accommodations.


This is why cruise air is usually not a good idea. Especially if you believe the cruise line will take care of you, if you have air problems, before during or after your cruise.

The myth that cruise lines will take care of you came from the "olden days" of cruising when cruise lines purchased large numbers of seats from the airlines. Now that the airlines are deregulated, fares have plummeted (from the 80's) and there is no commission on airfares the cruise lines have little or no pull with the airlines and you are basically on your own.

Also, if you purchase cruise line air, for a cruise that departs in the U.S., you will be put on the least expensive flights that are "scheduled" to arrive on the day the cruise departs. If you want to fly in early then you will need to pay an "air deviation" in order to give yourself a time cushion.

Travel professionals who advocate cruise air under the belief that the cruise line will take care of the client in the event of a delay or cancellation need to go back and read their books.

In regard to the travel insurance; I would like to know what insurance was purchased and I believe that the OP has a legitimate claim against the insurance company and needs to hound them, up the ladder, like a Pit Bull. Royal Caribbean has no responsibility in this and no obligation to do anything. That doesn't mean they can't approach them for a "hardship" case and look for token compensation. I wouldn't count on RCL. This is something that happens all the time and they aren't known for generosity in this area. Disputing the cruise line charges for the cruise will probably result in additional credit card dispute fees and no refund of the cruise fare.

Take care,
Mike
__________________
Cruisemates Community Leader/Moderator

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old September 19th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 562
Default

I think that all RCI cruisers who are reading this thread shall call RCI and tell them to pay all the money back to the OP! Everyone who think that RCI are not dealing with this correctly should speak up!

Since I'm not an RCI customer, what I say doesn't matter!
__________________
Erik in Sweden
Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old September 21st, 2009, 09:56 AM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
I think that all RCI cruisers who are reading this thread shall call RCI and tell them to pay all the money back to the OP! Everyone who think that RCI are not dealing with this correctly should speak up!

Since I'm not an RCI customer, what I say doesn't matter!
RCL is not responsible for this. (I don't say that often.) As previously stated, RCL is only the middle man. That's why I never consider booking my clients with cruise air. No control at all.

However, her insurance company should be paying up.
__________________
Dec. 13 - Windstar sailing yacht. Wonderful!!


Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.


Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)




44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:41 AM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
I think that all RCI cruisers who are reading this thread shall call RCI and tell them to pay all the money back to the OP! Everyone who think that RCI are not dealing with this correctly should speak up!

Since I'm not an RCI customer, what I say doesn't matter!
RCL is not responsible for this. (I don't say that often.) As previously stated, RCL is only the middle man. That's why I never consider booking my clients with cruise air. No control at all.

However, her insurance company should be paying up.
If RCI say that they get the passenger to the ship if they book cruise air, I think that they have some responsibility. Is there any reason at all to book that if they can't promise to get you to the ship in time?
__________________
Erik in Sweden
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old September 21st, 2009, 01:05 PM
Mike M's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: You're Looking At Me
Posts: 23,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag

If RCI say that they get the passenger to the ship if they book cruise air, I think that they have some responsibility. Is there any reason at all to book that if they can't promise to get you to the ship in time?
Erik,

That's the problem. RCI does not say that they will get the passenger to the ship if they book cruise air. As I quoted the RCI agent's handbook in an earlier post:

"Royal Caribbean in arranging for the transportation of guests to and from the ship, does so with independent contractors and only as a convenience to the guests.
Royal Caribbean is NOT responsible for incidents such as airline cancellations, reroutings or any disruption of scheduled services or accommodations."


If you use cruise air then all you are doing is allowing the cruise line to put you on a flight(s), that will arrive on the day of cruise, without taking any responsibility if you don't make it. I'd rather put my fate in my own hands.

Take care,
Mike
__________________
Cruisemates Community Leader/Moderator

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old September 21st, 2009, 02:19 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
I think that all RCI cruisers who are reading this thread shall call RCI and tell them to pay all the money back to the OP! Everyone who think that RCI are not dealing with this correctly should speak up!

Since I'm not an RCI customer, what I say doesn't matter!
RCL is not responsible for this. (I don't say that often.) As previously stated, RCL is only the middle man. That's why I never consider booking my clients with cruise air. No control at all.

However, her insurance company should be paying up.
If RCI say that they get the passenger to the ship if they book cruise air, I think that they have some responsibility. Is there any reason at all to book that if they can't promise to get you to the ship in time?
The point is, they don't say that. They say they are booking your air as a "convienence" not as a guarantee. The worst thing you can do with yourself is to book cruiseair.

I'm not sure why you are blaming RCL so strongly, especially if you have never dealt with them.
__________________
Dec. 13 - Windstar sailing yacht. Wonderful!!


Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.


Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)




44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old September 21st, 2009, 04:47 PM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Clark, NJ
Posts: 231
Default

ITA with Mike - the grievance is with the insurance company and no one else. Time to add "never book cruiseline air" to "never fly in the day of the cruise."
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old September 21st, 2009, 11:20 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
This is directly from the Royal Caribbean Travel Agent Guide.

Responsibility:
Royal Caribbean in arranging for the transportation of guests to and from the ship, does so with independent contractors and only as a convenience to the guests.
Royal Caribbean is NOT responsible for incidents such as airline cancellations, reroutings or any disruption of scheduled services or accommodations.


This is why cruise air is usually not a good idea. Especially if you believe the cruise line will take care of you, if you have air problems, before during or after your cruise.

The myth that cruise lines will take care of you came from the "olden days" of cruising when cruise lines purchased large numbers of seats from the airlines. Now that the airlines are deregulated, fares have plummeted (from the 80's) and there is no commission on airfares the cruise lines have little or no pull with the airlines and you are basically on your own.

Also, if you purchase cruise line air, for a cruise that departs in the U.S., you will be put on the least expensive flights that are "scheduled" to arrive on the day the cruise departs. If you want to fly in early then you will need to pay an "air deviation" in order to give yourself a time cushion.

Travel professionals who advocate cruise air under the belief that the cruise line will take care of the client in the event of a delay or cancellation need to go back and read their books.

In regard to the travel insurance; I would like to know what insurance was purchased and I believe that the OP has a legitimate claim against the insurance company and needs to hound them, up the ladder, like a Pit Bull. Royal Caribbean has no responsibility in this and no obligation to do anything. That doesn't mean they can't approach them for a "hardship" case and look for token compensation. I wouldn't count on RCL. This is something that happens all the time and they aren't known for generosity in this area. Disputing the cruise line charges for the cruise will probably result in additional credit card dispute fees and no refund of the cruise fare.

Take care,
Mike
Interesting -- thanks for the quote regarding RCI's responsibility, but are you saying that they are only a pass through agent? They only charge for flights what the airline charges? Seems hard to believe given how often they charge more than what one can get on the market, but clearly, the quote regarding only booking flights as a convenience indicates they make no money from the booking.

I guess I would argue, that since RCI does the booking without consult or an end agreement with the consumer, that they have a responsibility to make a booking that would reasonably be expected to get a passenger to a destination in a timely manner. Frankly, I would have to recheck the OP to refresh my memory of the shortness of the connection, but, I would continue to argue, if they bear no responsibility, they could book flights with connection times so narrow as to practically guarantee that the passenger does not make the ship (less than 20 minutes, say), and knowingly, overbook the ship, getting a double payment for a cabin. Now, I don't mean to imply that is the case. But we could analogize this situation to an implied warrenty.

Finally, while I appreciate your quote from the agent's book -- such a disclaimer has to be made to the consumer, in literature, or by an RCI agent, otherwise, it is assailable.
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old September 22nd, 2009, 02:11 AM
Senior Member
Yeoman
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhag
I think that all RCI cruisers who are reading this thread shall call RCI and tell them to pay all the money back to the OP! Everyone who think that RCI are not dealing with this correctly should speak up!

Since I'm not an RCI customer, what I say doesn't matter!
RCL is not responsible for this. (I don't say that often.) As previously stated, RCL is only the middle man. That's why I never consider booking my clients with cruise air. No control at all.

However, her insurance company should be paying up.
If RCI say that they get the passenger to the ship if they book cruise air, I think that they have some responsibility. Is there any reason at all to book that if they can't promise to get you to the ship in time?
The point is, they don't say that. They say they are booking your air as a "convienence" not as a guarantee. The worst thing you can do with yourself is to book cruiseair.

I'm not sure why you are blaming RCL so strongly, especially if you have never dealt with them.
I'm NOT blaming RCI strongly. If they don't book the flights with any kind of guarantee, it's not RCIs fault. But I do think that if RCI sell a package with air and cruise it should be a part of the deal that both the air and the cruise is included. Since I'm not a customer of RCI I have no reason to care but I can still feel sorry for the OP.
__________________
Erik in Sweden
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:03 AM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,647
Default

I too feel sorry for the OP and I hope their insurance company lives up to its obligations.

As for air with the cruiselines, at one time they gave a commission of 5% and went to bat for the consumer. As air got more volitile, they chose to drop the commission first, and then started stating they were basically, the vessel through which one could book air and were only doing it for the convience of the client. At one time they actually wanted to stop with the air, but too many people wanted the package.

The prices they give are what they were given at the time they put in their order, so to speak, with the airlines. As is usual with airlines, those prices were locked in. Now the airlines will not give a locked in price. Therefore cruiselines such as Princess et al will not even give you a locked in price when they do cruiseair. You much pay the air up front and even then, the cost could change.

Any agent worth there salt will not use cruiseline air. It's much easier on everyone to do air seperate/alone. Even if you have a group, you can get group air from the airlines. That way you, the client and the agent together are in complete control.

As hard as it is to get the upcoming holiday season air, I still will not book my clients through the cruiseline. They have asked to be done that way but I've managed to steer them away from that and do better on our own.

The other thing to remember, when booking cruise air, the agent is not given any information of the air until after it is paid for. Your have no idea of the airline or the route being taken.
__________________
Dec. 13 - Windstar sailing yacht. Wonderful!!


Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.


Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)




44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)  
Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
Mike M's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: You're Looking At Me
Posts: 23,885
Default

I did see something on the Royal Caribbean website that is interesting: They do offer "ChoiceAir" and for $15/$25 you can book your own flights using their booking engine.

If you do this "then" you can expect some service. It is outlined in their description. The only thing that is "different" than booking on your own is: Convenience and you do receive assistance by the cruise line if there are delays. I guess if you use Standard Air then it is handled the old way.

They also make some pitches to purchase their "Cruise-Care" insurance to enhance the protection but almost all travel policies will give the same coverage.

Here is the link: http://www.cruisingpower.com/protect...ceAir.do#Fares

I like the fact they are now giving the cruise passenger the ability to book their own flights and by doing so RC will give the assistance that a lot people already thought they did. You just have "another" charge of $15/$25.

Just don't take "Standard Air".

Take care,
Mike
__________________
Cruisemates Community Leader/Moderator

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)  
Old September 22nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
I did see something on the Royal Caribbean website that is interesting: They do offer "ChoiceAir" and for $15/$25 you can book your own flights using their booking engine.

If you do this "then" you can expect some service. It is outlined in their description. The only thing that is "different" than booking on your own is: Convenience and you do receive assistance by the cruise line if there are delays. I guess if you use Standard Air then it is handled the old way.

They also make some pitches to purchase their "Cruise-Care" insurance to enhance the protection but almost all travel policies will give the same coverage.

Here is the link: http://www.cruisingpower.com/protect...ceAir.do#Fares

I like the fact they are now giving the cruise passenger the ability to book their own flights and by doing so RC will give the assistance that a lot people already thought they did. You just have "another" charge of $15/$25.

Just don't take "Standard Air".

Take care,
Mike
You have to be a TA to use that site.
__________________
Dec. 13 - Windstar sailing yacht. Wonderful!!


Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.


Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)




44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:19 AM
Mike M's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: You're Looking At Me
Posts: 23,885
Default

Sorry about that:

Here is the ChoiceAir link. You do need a reservation id in order to get into the system.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ChoiceAir

Here is the "About" information on ChoiceAir.

What is ChoiceAir?

ChoiceAir is a new way for guests to buy their air transportation to and from their cruise vacation. It is the name of the new air/sea program and the name of our new airline travel website.

Program
The ChoiceAir Program is a departure from traditional air/sea programs because it allows guests to purchase their airline tickets at the best available prices, when they are booking their cruise. Unlike the legacy air/sea model, customers select their own flights from all published airline schedules and fare types. Guests may book directly on the website, over the phone with us, or through their travel partner. No matter who makes the ChoiceAir reservation, the guest is assured the best value for their cruise by tying their airline reservations to their cruise. This allows RCCL to monitor our Guests’ travel to the ship, and step in to help should they run into trouble in transit. We will ensure the Guest makes it to the ship or if necessary work with our airline partners to get them to the next port-of-call, whenever possible.

Website
The ChoiceAir website allows guests, travel partners, and RCCL contact center employees to book all published airline schedules and fares on the Internet. It has a familiar look and feel, similar to leading consumer websites; however, it is customized to meet the needs of our guests. Unlike consumer sites, ChoiceAir filters air displays to fit the cruise time parameters, allows a guest to use different credit cards to pay for each guest in a reservation, links the air reservation with their cruise reservation, and provides optional airport to seaport transfers.


Take care,
Mike[/i]
__________________
Cruisemates Community Leader/Moderator

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)  
Old September 23rd, 2009, 09:03 AM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Sorry about that:

Here is the ChoiceAir link. You do need a reservation id in order to get into the system.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ChoiceAir

Here is the "About" information on ChoiceAir.

What is ChoiceAir?

ChoiceAir is a new way for guests to buy their air transportation to and from their cruise vacation. It is the name of the new air/sea program and the name of our new airline travel website.

Program
The ChoiceAir Program is a departure from traditional air/sea programs because it allows guests to purchase their airline tickets at the best available prices, when they are booking their cruise. Unlike the legacy air/sea model, customers select their own flights from all published airline schedules and fare types. Guests may book directly on the website, over the phone with us, or through their travel partner. No matter who makes the ChoiceAir reservation, the guest is assured the best value for their cruise by tying their airline reservations to their cruise. This allows RCCL to monitor our Guests’ travel to the ship, and step in to help should they run into trouble in transit. We will ensure the Guest makes it to the ship or if necessary work with our airline partners to get them to the next port-of-call, whenever possible.

Website
The ChoiceAir website allows guests, travel partners, and RCCL contact center employees to book all published airline schedules and fares on the Internet. It has a familiar look and feel, similar to leading consumer websites; however, it is customized to meet the needs of our guests. Unlike consumer sites, ChoiceAir filters air displays to fit the cruise time parameters, allows a guest to use different credit cards to pay for each guest in a reservation, links the air reservation with their cruise reservation, and provides optional airport to seaport transfers.


Take care,
Mike[/i]
Not a problem. I am a TA. I just meant for others.
__________________
Dec. 13 - Windstar sailing yacht. Wonderful!!


Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.


Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)




44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #60 (permalink)  
Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:58 PM
Paul Motter's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: in my office!
Posts: 10,913
Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default

I spoke to Royal Caribbean (their PR department) about Choice Air.

They say that if there is a delay by the airline they will work with the airline to get you to the ship. They do not guarantee it, but he did say they are successful in well over 90% of cases (maybe 95%).

If you miss the ship due to any fault of the cruise line they will get you to the ship no matter what.

If they cannot get you to the ship and it is the airlines fault there is no GUARANTEE under Choice Air. There is only the promise that they will work on your behalf to get you there.

The tough about this is that the Jones Act is a small fine ($200 per person). But the cruise lines cannot have a policy of regularly breaking the law. What we need is way to figure out a way to "force" the cruise lines to let you onboard despite the Jones Act - as long as you pay the fine.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
act, alaskan, cruise, cruisenightmarecom, delay, due, flight, jones, miss, missed, night, nightmare, rci, ship, things

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruise Nightmare Deakon Carnival Cruise Lines 34 November 6th, 2007 11:58 AM
Celebrity cruise Nightmare Diane Burke Celebrity 23 August 22nd, 2007 06:12 PM
re:Cruise Nightmare! Ren Ask CruiseMates Staff 14 July 19th, 2004 02:47 PM
POLL: Cruise nightmare ??? pamda Chit - Chat for Cruisers 12 July 26th, 2002 01:05 PM
Nightmare face on a cruise Yes2cruising Chit - Chat for Cruisers 6 June 6th, 2001 12:03 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:33 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1