Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 30th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Oasis Theatre Reservations

Anyone know anything about RCCL trying something new on Oasis with reservations for the shows? I've heard bits and piece from a few friends and it seems the consensus is that they will take reservations for the various shows. And I guess if you just try to walk up to one now, and it';s full, you're out of luck. Of course, there still is no charge. I also hear that you can make them online well ahead of sailing. But if that's the case I can't find anywhere on the RCCL website to do that. Anyone else heard this?
Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

This is the first I've heard of this. Will this be for all the shows, even the after dinner shows or just the ice shows??

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I believe I read somewhere that there would be a reserved section for premium suite guests. I don't see how they could possibly do a general or seat reservation system for the entire theater.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old August 31st, 2009, 04:38 PM
Admiral

where there is a will..there is a way
Old August 31st, 2009, 06:21 PM
Admiral

They're not even doing the tickets for the ice shows anymore.
(or at least in June)

Simple is better.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old August 31st, 2009, 07:49 PM
First Mate

Old August 31st, 2009, 08:00 PM
First Mate

Old August 31st, 2009, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:17 PM
First Mate

Thanks cruisequeen
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well, that explains it. Funny thing though. I had emailed my TA and she contacted someone at RCCL who claimed to know nothing about this but would do some checking. Funny thay would not have any knowledge with it being on the website. Anyway, thanks for the tip.
Old September 1st, 2009, 01:55 AM
Admiral

Wow, I can't believe they are attempting this. I think there will be so many no shows especially on port days that it will become unmanageable.

Future Cruises:
Old September 1st, 2009, 02:22 AM
Admiral

it's worth a try and I am sure they will overbook, but it does help with controlling the guest flow
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:30 AM
Admiral

I'm not sure I would like this, I usually always go to the after dinner shows, but sometimes not. You'd have to already plan on the evening and not everyone knows what they want to do or feel like by that time?

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 1st, 2009, 07:59 AM
Admiral

All I can say is, That I hope this works out.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM
Admiral

I have full confidence that after a couple of weeks, they will work the kinks out of the system and in a year from now it will seem like the norm

there are sooooooo many options on the OAS that I'm sure with a little logistical planning you will be able to attend everything you want over the course of 7 days
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yeah, I am conflicted. I think it may a good idea as far as managing the crowds but, I really don't like the idea of having to plan ahead, possibly way ahead. Plus, if I think of the past, there have been many occasions where we were going to go at a specific time but something comes up and we or our friends have to cancel and do it another time. So, it should be interesting.
Old September 1st, 2009, 08:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

I remember back when you had to get tickets on the Mariner for the ice show. This worked out pretty well from what I saw but on the Liberty you just showed up and hoped for the best. I dont see a problem with getting tickets for the show ahead of time to secure your seat due to the amount of passengers and as a matter of fact I couldnt imagine another way.
Old September 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM
Admiral

to paraphrase Paul, you are making too much of this , it will work out fine because folks just have too many options to get bent out of shape if they cannot attend on a particular night, because there is just so many other appealing options to choose from, you would just say, we'll see it tomorrow night
Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:49 PM
Beginner

Yes, you can as of today under cruise enhancements, I used it today I made all my reservations for the shows, and made my dinner reservations for the speciality restaurants I wanted. 90 days to Oasis
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:17 PM
Captain

There was an online chat today at 2pm and on it they talked about all the entertainment. One of the things you can "now" do is reserve a seat for the shows. My first choice was the Aquatheater, Oasis of Dreams, which I got. Then I got a comedy show, Ice Show, "Frozen in Time", Hairspray in the main theater and a few other venues. You can only book one o each show per cruise and you get into the show with your shipboard card. Hopefully I can get tickets to the water show another time. One question asked was what happens if you sell out. Their answer was you should really try and make advanced reservations early. You apparently can make reservations 3 months in advance.

I've also done my Signature Dining reservations which sometimes can be a real problem.

Lastly, they mention that there are no more finding a life vest for the muster drill. They will be at the mustersataion already. You swipe your sea card so they know you were there, muster drill and off your merry way.

I am so excited about being on the Inaugural Cruise.
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...ent-090209.cfm

Oasis Offers Show Reservations and More - Online

Oasis has 5400 passenger berths, but even the largest entertainment venue only seats 1800 people. People have been asking if there will be a ticket system and the answer is actually something better. Oasis is the first cruise ship where guests can make reservations for onboard shows before they even leave for their cruise. I have already made all of my show reservations for my December 1st cruise.

All you have to do is go to of the Royal Caribbean web site - assuming you already have a cruise booked, and find the cruise enhancements portion. There you can make reservations for shows, specialty restaurants, shore excursions and even onboard sports activities like Flo-rider lessons.

Some of the entertainment venues, like the comedy and jazz clubs, are as small as 125-seats. I like to think of cruises as relaxing, but I also don't want to miss anything onboard. I made my reservations early because I don't know what my fellow cruisers plan to do. I don't want to find myself standing outside a showroom only to discover there isn't enough room for me to get in. If you are booked on Oasis, I recommend that you do the same as I.

Obviously, all of the shows onboard will be shown several times so everyone should have a chance to see them, and I hope everyone is so relaxed that the reservation system is not really needed. But this is a brand new ship and it's too soon to tell how things will work out.

You can also make show reservations onboard the ship on your stateroom interactive television system. Or you can use one of the "box office" kiosks they say will be open at various times around the ship. There won't be any actual tickets, however; everything gets recorded onto your keycard. Any show with open seats will be opened up to people waiting at the venue.

Oasis of the Seas Entertainment Highlights

Personally, I am most excited about the AquaTheater, at 21-feet deep it's the largest and deepest sea-water pool on any ship. I have seen such shows as "Eau" by Cirque d' Soliel and I like the talent and the technology behind them. The AquaTheater has two shows scheduled for each cruise.

The main nighttime show is called "Oasis of Dreams" and features athletic diving, synchronized swimming, trampoline and aerial acrobatics. The cast was selected from Olympic-caliber divers and performers. Royal Caribbean hinted the highest divers are actually cliff divers from Acapulco. This show will be shown six times during every seven-day cruise.

The other AquaTheater show, called "Splish Splash" is a family style show with funny routines including "comedy diving." Yes, that's a new one on me, too. Anyone sitting in the first few rows should get what the title is all about. There will be five performances of this show throughout the cruise, all of them during the daytime. At other times the pool will be open for swimming, along with digitally animated fountain shows and occasional small-cast performances.

The next major entertainment venue onboard is the Opal Theater, a typical ship main showroom. This showroom does not hold many more people than the showrooms on smaller Royal Caribbean ships, but because Oasis is a very wide ship the stage is very impressive, with a thrust stage and proscenium.

The main show here will be Hairspray, which Royal Caribbean has licensed for three years. This will be the most thorough production of a proven Broadway show ever done on a Cruise Ship. The crowd-pleasing play, based on a John Waters movie, is now only playing in London's West End, so Oasis is one of the remaining places to see it.

The Hairspray cast is an impressive 21 players. Auditions were held in New York, London, Chicago and Los Angeles. They are currently rehearsing in their own facilities in Miami and creating all original costumes and sets. Hairspray will be shown five times on every seven-day cruise.

The other Opal Theater production, "Come Fly with Me" features aerial acrobats. You can see a Webisode of it at oasisoftheseas.com right now. The Opal will also feature headline performers on certain nights during the cruise; the usual comedians, singers, magicians and jugglers.

The ice rink for ice-shows, called Studio B as on the other Royal Caribbean ships, will feature a family show called "Frozen in Time" based on the works of Hans Christian Anderson and his most renowned characters; the Snow Queen, Ugly Duckling and Little Mermaid for example. The performers come from Russia, France, Canada and the U.S. for the eleventh ice show Royal Caribbean has produced.

The other venues you can pre-book online include the Comedy Club with two different comedians performing three shows each on most nights. The jazz club, Jazz on 4, does not require reservations but it will feature an in-house jazz quartet and various singers from the production shows taking turns in the spotlight. Dazzles is the more traditional live music dance club said to be inspired by the Rainbow Room at Rockefeller Center in New York.

In addition to entertainment spaces, each cruise will also feature theme night parties on deck or in the Royal Promenade, such as the popular "20's-Style" Miami South Beach-inspired dance club and "Disco Inferno" for the not so young hipsters featuring Disco hits from the '70s.

The Royal Promenade will have its parades, just as on the previous ships, but the Royal Promenade on Oasis is especially impressive. The ship itself is wider than the Freedom class, and this Royal Promenade is a deck taller and has an upper level. Crown and Anchor members will be happy to know the location of the Diamond Club, the place they get to meet for cocktails during happy hour.

You still cannot make reservations for the zip-line or the carousal, but that may come soon. None of the onboard sports features; zip-line, Flo-rider or the rock climbing wall have any cost to you. The carousal is also free. You will have to pay for the cupcakes and doughnuts you find in the Boardwalk area, however.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

By the way - I made my reservations for my Dec 1 cruise.

I look at this two ways. I DON'T like the idea of being on a ship where the venues are so busy you need a reservation to get in.

But I see this as the best solution to what we really don't know yet is going to be a problem.

I HOPE it isn't a problem, and I don't think it will be. But we will see, won't we.

I listened to the whole conference, and it seems there are plenty of opportunities for everyone to see every show without over-crowding.

If you are having trouble getting into a show then the reservation system IS a good thing to have. It will not lock people out of shows, if there are empty seats they will let people in.

They have been using the ticket system on Freedom fro years for the ice show, and we either walked in the show or got tickets just a few hours earlier.

The only concern will be if there are more people wanting to see a show than there are tickets. I don't see that happening.

The only place I am a little concerned are the headliner shows in the Opal (they haven't said how often they will repeat) and the comedy club. (They haven't said if they will clear the house between sets, but I predict they will).

The main show lounge is really too small - 1700 seats, but Hairspray will show 5 times each cruise (I think) so that is enough for everyone to see it.

The aquatheater sort of has unlimited seating because of the terraces and upper deck.

The Ice Shows are repeated more than enough.

I think it will work out - I wouldn't be panicked yet. We'll see though.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Thanks guys,
For sharing all that information! I really can't wait to hear how the ship/cruise is when you finally get to cruise..

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well that is certainly answering my questions. When I saw the initial booking info page a few days ago, it did not seem to include the Dec. 1 short sailing. It all referred to a seven night sail. And, the system was not useable yet. But since it now is, and I hear the 4 day is up, that will be good. Unforunately I'm on a trip so I won't have my booking info until tomorrow when I get home. Gotta check that stuff out. By the way, I see Paul mentioned, and I saw on the site, that one of the options was for a headline performer. Anyone know who/what that will be? Just would be nice to know if it's someone/something I'd like to see befor I book it.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 03:03 AM
Administrator
Admiral

It would be nice to have the headline performer and I think they plan to have to info in the future, but it was not up on the site for my 12-1 cruise yet.
Old September 5th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Captain

Paul,
You did a fantastic job of detailing the information, thanks. If you find out the headliner, I'd love to know too. I have a "reservation" but don't know who will be there yet. Please post if you happen to find out.
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Old September 5th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Surfguy. Are you on the Dec 1 cruiise? I am.
Old September 5th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Captain

I'm doing the Dec. 5th cruise. I'm like a little child anymore as I look up the information about the sailing.
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Old September 5th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Does anyone know if you just use the same calendar for both the Dec. 1 and Dec. 5 sailings. Since it's the only one PDF schedule file with the days of the week, I assume that's what you go by but I'm not sure (ie: use Tuesday through Friday for Dec. 1 and then Sat. to Fri for Dec. 5th?) Oh, and when you reserve, are you getting assigned seats or just entrance to the theatre? I'm also trying to work it out so we can sit together with some people we are meeting and if it's assigned seats, I'm not exactly sure how that works since we can only book for the 2 of us on our one reservation.

And my wife and our friend's wife are both saying us two guys will probably need to be medicated by November.
Old September 5th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It is NOT assigned seats so your friends will need to make separate reservations. Also - each reservation is very date and time specific. You should be able to find the show you want one of several ways, by date or by show... By date seems to be easier, though.