Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Passenger

Default Brilliance of The Seas - Info required

Hi there,

Re: Brilliance of The Seas

Last time I posted here, I was given great advise so I'm back for more hints & tips if possible folks. Forgive the amount of questions I'm going to ask... It's just I'm new to cruises, and don't know what to expect. I'm one of those people who find everything out on the second to last day of my 2 week holiday, hence posting now and doing my home work!

1. Drinks packages. Water packages - What size bottles are they? Also to this, is water free at the dining table?

2. Apart from two restaurants on the Brilliance (pay extra apparently), can you eat anywhere/anytime?

3. Internet/computer. Does anyone know the internet fee & time given? Can you use a mobile phone onboard?

4. Entertainment - We have chosen the 9pm meal slot. Will we be able to see the evening shows?

5. Can you board the boat at anytime when it docks?

6. Does anyone have a price list of drinks onboard - if they have been on the 'Brilliance of the Seas' this year?

7. Keycard/money card. Can anyone explain how the money card works, and can you keep track of the amount you are spending on board?

8. Are there DVD players in bedrooms & what TV channels do they offer?

Anything else you can add would be most appreciated... Your help would be wonderful.

Cheers & thanks
Rosie
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Brilliance of The Seas - Info required

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose2009
Hi there,

Re: Brilliance of The Seas

Last time I posted here, I was given great advise so I'm back for more hints & tips if possible folks. Forgive the amount of questions I'm going to ask... It's just I'm new to cruises, and don't know what to expect. I'm one of those people who find everything out on the second to last day of my 2 week holiday, hence posting now and doing my home work!

1. Drinks packages. Water packages - What size bottles are they? Also to this, is water free at the dining table?

2. Apart from two restaurants on the Brilliance (pay extra apparently), can you eat anywhere/anytime?

3. Internet/computer. Does anyone know the internet fee & time given? Can you use a mobile phone onboard?

4. Entertainment - We have chosen the 9pm meal slot. Will we be able to see the evening shows?

5. Can you board the boat at anytime when it docks?

6. Does anyone have a price list of drinks onboard - if they have been on the 'Brilliance of the Seas' this year?

7. Keycard/money card. Can anyone explain how the money card works, and can you keep track of the amount you are spending on board?

8. Are there DVD players in bedrooms & what TV channels do they offer?

Anything else you can add would be most appreciated... Your help would be wonderful.

Cheers & thanks
Rosie
Let me see what I can answer for you here:

1. Soda packages are $4 a day for kids and $6 a day for adults and can only be purchased on the 1st day. Soda and juice is included, bottled water isn't. Water is free everywhere on the ship except for bottled water, not sure the bottled water price.

2. Room service is 24 hours, the dining room has set times for all 3 meals, and the Windjammer cafe has expanded times for all 3 meals, and is open almost all day and well into the evening. The specialty restaurants, including Chops, Portafinos, and Johnny Rockets have set times as well.

3. Internet is running about 55 cents a minute, but you can purchase larger minute packages for a set amount of minutes which lowers the per minute costs.

4. There are always 2 evening shows, 7pm for the late dining, and 9pm for the early seating.

5. Yes you can. You can get on and off the ship anytime it is in port after the ship has been cleared by the local authorities and be sure to be back on at least 30 minutes prior to departure.

6. Can't help with this one, sorry.

7. When you check-in during your embarkation, you give the clerk a credit card or cash deposit to secure your onboard account. As you spend on the ship, they will clear your card each night to make sure the charges are covered, and at the end of the cruise they charge your card for the full amount. If you leave a cash deposit, they allow you to spend up to that amount, and you can make additional cash deposits at the pursers desk. You can check your onboard account anytime at the pursers desk.

8. No DVD players on any RCI ship I've ever been on. They do have some closed circuit TV channels, like TNT, A&E and Cartoon network as I recall, they also have movie channels where they just play the same movie continuous, and some satellite channels like HLN, CNN and ESPN.

Hope this answers some of your questions. Have a great cruise!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old September 9th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Brilliance of The Seas - Info required

Quote:
We were on Monarch last year and the drinks were approximately $7 - $8 depending upon the drink you ordered.

Beers were $4 - $5

Wine was $5.50 - $8 / glass

This is a rough estimate. Of course, don't forget.....gratuity is added to each drink as well, so they are a little higher.

P.S..........How do these ads end up in our posts????
1979 NCL Skyward, 1981 NCL Starward, 1984 NCL Starward, 1989 Carnival Tropicale, 1989 NCL Starward, 1992 NCL Norway, 1993 Regency Regent Sea, 1995 NCL Windward, 1997 RCCL Legend, 1998 RCCL Legend, 2002 RCCL Grandeur, 2004 HAL Ryndam, 2004 RCCL Explorer, 2005 RCCL Splendour, 2005 RCCL Serenade, 2006 RCCL Vision, 2007 RCCL Freedom, 2008 RCCL Monarch, 2009 RCCL Mariner

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were just on Splendour and they had a water package in addition to the beverage package.
We each bought a package of 8 bottles...they were the large bottles of Evian.
They delivered the cases of water to our cabin and then we had water for each day we were off the ship. Ended up cheaper than buying the bottle as you walk off the ship.
Greece was so hot, it was a great thing to have the cold water.
We had our stateroom attendant clear out the minifridge from all the soda, water, candy that they stock it with and that left plenty of room to keep some water bottles in there to get cold for each day's trip.
If they offer it, I would recommend it.

Adventure-12/03 S.Carib;Explorer-12/04 W.Carib;Jewel-12/05 W.Carib;Serenade-7/06 Alaska;Rhapsody-12/06 E.Carib;Adventure-12/07 S.Carib;Radiance-10/08 Pan.Canal;Splendour-8/09 Greece;Oasis-8/10 W.Carib;Navigator-12/10 W. Carib;Liberty-2/11 W.Carib;Mariner-6/11 Med.;Brilliance-2/13 E.Carib.
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Passenger

Brilliant, thanks for your time in replying folks... Much appreciated.

We are boarding the ship in Barcelona, what can we expect? How long will it take to be boarded etc etc?

Looking to pre-book day trips online before we leave... Is this a good idea? Is there any price difference or is it just one less thing to do onboard?

Has anyone been to Turkey or Cyprus.... Anything worth seeing?

Good day to you all
Rose
Old September 10th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Beginner

I can help with a couple questions-

3. Yes, cell phones can be used. But be careful- check how much your provider charges. I know mine charged $2.49/minute. Make your call quick.

8. I was on Serenade and if you are booked in a GS of higher, there is a DVD player. In fact, there is a sound system in the room, depending where you are, there might be AM/FM radio stations to tune in to.

The Radiance class of ships are beautiful. There is so much glass, and the ship is not that big, but didn't feel cramped at any time!
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Captain

Default Turkey and Cyprus

Quote:

Has anyone been to Turkey or Cyprus.... Anything worth seeing?

Good day to you all
Rose
If you're stopping in Istanbul, be sure to see the Blue Mosque, the Agia Sophia, and Dolmabace Palace. If you have time, go to the covered market - lots of shopping.

Cyprus is one of my favorite places. Don't know where you will dock, but if you have time, go to Paphos, which is in the western part of the island. Walk around Nicosia (the capital) if you have time. The people on Cyprus are probably some of the most friendly folks I have ever met.
Old September 14th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Passenger

Thanks for replies.

Going to visit Palma, Majorca. Can anyone advise me please if the port is close to the city as I am trying to work out what trips to book. If close, we will take a walk there. I've been many times so not too bothered about buying a day trip.

Cheers
Rose
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Passenger

Rose,
I was on the Brilliance for a Med cruise in late May with my two college aged daughters. The best advise I got prior to cruising is that you can purchase from the purser's desk a cord for your laptop which plugs into an outlet in your room and have internet access 24/7 in your stateroom for the price of $120. for the whole week! It is called "cyber cabin" and as far as I know it is only available on the Brilliance. The purser's desk will try to talk you out of it by telling you that the connection is slow but it is no slower than the ship's computers which you have to pay for by the minute. This allows you to be connected 24 hours a day. This was the best $120. I spent the whole 12 days. My kids were able to keep in touch with their friends back home and it didn't cost a fortune. I admit I actually checked my e-mail as well. I wish this was available on other ships as well.
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

We also had the same thing on the Serenade in 2005 from Hawaii.

It was great. I had the laptop plugged in and even had my webcam connected so I could share the sites with my friend. Admittedly, he only got to see the ocean and the cabin - but it was fun to let him see us dressed up for formal night as we went out - or for a look at the ocean to see how beautiful it was.

And .... no .... we didn't have the webcam on all the time. Only a few minutes each day.

It was worth the money IMHO!
1979 NCL Skyward, 1981 NCL Starward, 1984 NCL Starward, 1989 Carnival Tropicale, 1989 NCL Starward, 1992 NCL Norway, 1993 Regency Regent Sea, 1995 NCL Windward, 1997 RCCL Legend, 1998 RCCL Legend, 2002 RCCL Grandeur, 2004 HAL Ryndam, 2004 RCCL Explorer, 2005 RCCL Splendour, 2005 RCCL Serenade, 2006 RCCL Vision, 2007 RCCL Freedom, 2008 RCCL Monarch, 2009 RCCL Mariner

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 18th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Passenger

Thanks for replies folks.

Anyone ever had to take an inter-connecting flight on a cruise package? We are flying from England to Germany, then Germany to Spain however, once we land in Germany, we are only given 30 minutes to catch our next flight out. Our concern is that, if the flight out of England is delayed, it will have a knock on effect, and possible miss the boat.
Would it be worth speaking to the tour agent, and see if they can place us on another flight out or is this the norm on these fly/cruise deals.

Also, are you allowed to take any kind of food/drink on board? As in, when you buy bits of bood and drink (water) in the airport, can you then take those bits'n'bobs in your hand luggage on to the boat?

Cheers
Rose