Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Dealing with sea sickness

I will be sailing out of New Jersey in January and it seems there can be rough seas. when we sailed from NJ in April we hit the tail end of a storm and the ride was a bit bumpy. I was fine but my wife was very sea sick.

We went to the doctor and she got a shot and some pills. She was fine after that but I don't know if it was the shot/pills or the much calmer southern seas as the ride got a lot smother.

I saw many people with a little patch behind their ear does this work and where do you go to get this patch?

Any info you can give me about dealing with sea sickness would be much appreciated because if my DW is not happy then I'm not happy

Thank You

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2009
RCI Explorer of the Seas, January 2010
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:15 AM
First Mate

The patches we have are called Transderm Scop (the ingredient is scopolamine) you need a prescription from your doctor to get them. My husband uses bonine pills available over the counter (he says they are better than dramamine) the key is to start taking them before the cruise starts, even the patch needs to be put on the night before. I guess I am lucky and have never had a problem with sea sickness but my husband has and now swears by the bonine.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2
The patches we have are called Transderm Scop (the ingredient is scopolamine) you need a prescription from your doctor to get them. My husband uses Bonine pills available over the counter (he says they are better than Dramamine) the key is to start taking them before the cruise starts, even the patch needs to be put on the night before. I guess I am lucky and have never had a problem with sea sickness but my husband has and now swears by the Bonine.
Addicted2 gave you the right information. The key is to take the medication "BEFORE" you become seasick. They are preventatives not cures.

If you do become seasick you can take ginger to help with the nausea. it has helped some people.

If you do get a medication you should also try it before you board the ship to make sure it doesn't make you overly tired.

Take care and have a great cruise.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

I also use the Bonine pills.

For some reason, I am very prone to motion sickness.

I take them when I get to the airport whenever I fly anywhere.

I take them about an hour before getting on the Cruise Ship - and then I only need to take one or two more doses. After that, I have been fine on board.

As far as the patch goes.....about 20 years I wore the patch (prescribed by the doctor). After about 2 days on board, my eyesight was so blurry, I could not read anything. It wasn't until about the 4th day that my husband realized it might be from the patch and took it off me. My eyesight returned about 90% and that was it. I understand they have improved the patch....but after my experience, I would never recommend it.
1979 NCL Skyward, 1981 NCL Starward, 1984 NCL Starward, 1989 Carnival Tropicale, 1989 NCL Starward, 1992 NCL Norway, 1993 Regency Regent Sea, 1995 NCL Windward, 1997 RCCL Legend, 1998 RCCL Legend, 2002 RCCL Grandeur, 2004 HAL Ryndam, 2004 RCCL Explorer, 2005 RCCL Splendour, 2005 RCCL Serenade, 2006 RCCL Vision, 2007 RCCL Freedom, 2008 RCCL Monarch, 2009 RCCL Mariner

Read and post cruise reviews
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:58 PM
First Mate

I feel the same about the patch, I couldn't focus properly my vision was so b lurry it was miserable. I use Bonine pills, much better than all the other remedies, take it at night, not only will it prevent sea sickness you will sleep soundly. I take it for several nights after the cruise ends too or I stagger around once I am back on dry land..
It might be worth flying to Miami to get on a cruise rather than sailing in the Atlantic- the Caribbean is smooth sailing...