Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:27 PM
telemundoo's Avatar
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
Default Royal Caribbean received an F grade.

Some cruise ship companies are not making the grade when it comes to protecting the environment.



The Friends of the Earth environmental group rated 10 major cruise lines on how well they worked to reduce pollution in American waters.

Caribbean received an F grade.

According to the group, Florida has the top three ship departure ports: Miami, Port Canaveral and Fort Lauderdale, but some of the weakest laws to prevent cruise ship pollution
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Kuki's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Right here :)
Posts: 22,381
Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default

Here's quote from the "Friends of the Earth" web page...

"Millions of Americans take cruise vacations every year. However, most don't realize that cruising is more harmful to the environment and human health than many other forms of travel. With ships that can carry up to 7,000 passengers and crew, these floating cities pollute the air we breathe and the water we use and enjoy. "

So they begin from the premise that all cruise ships are BAD, and work from the conclusion backwards to fit their assertions.

A simple example of zealots who don't care so much about the facts as attempting to find people who'll believe THEIR version of "the facts".
__________________
C U @ C,
Kuki
CruiseMates' Staff Writer
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:50 PM
telemundoo's Avatar
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
Default

I love this quote from Albert Einstein

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old September 18th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,207
Default

bit damaging though. Being from a cruise port, it was all over our news and newspapers.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old September 18th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Kuki's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Right here :)
Posts: 22,381
Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup
bit damaging though. Being from a cruise port, it was all over our news and newspapers.
It's just the sort of thing the "typical media" love and would run to run

And, of course, all the various fringe groups love that, and no doubt send it out to all the standard outlets ASAP and news releases.
__________________
C U @ C,
Kuki
CruiseMates' Staff Writer
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old September 18th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 19,357
Default

We as human beings have to live and we all pollute. As a matter of fact our computers vause a lot of pollution and we all use them to post here and else where.

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old September 18th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 19,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup
bit damaging though. Being from a cruise port, it was all over our news and newspapers.
Of course newspapers cause pollution also. They have to cut trees to make the paper, and the chemicals for news print. And last but not least all the utilities they need to print and circulate newspapers.
Don't let me get started on the media, they even pollute peoples minds.

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old September 19th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 238
Default

this message board is for people giving advice and seeking info on cruise vacations. Are you a cruiser or an environmental crusader? It seems to me if you are the later you're on the wrong site.

It seems to me you are trying to get people to boycott cruising. If that is the case you're in the wrong place.

What cruise line would you suggest that's "green" to you?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old September 19th, 2009, 12:34 PM
telemundoo's Avatar
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave 3261
this message board is for people giving advice and seeking info on cruise vacations. Are you a cruiser or an environmental crusader? It seems to me if you are the later you're on the wrong site.

It seems to me you are trying to get people to boycott cruising. If that is the case you're in the wrong place.

What cruise line would you suggest that's "green" to you?
I have enough with my university to be part of an environmental group. But I get a little upset when i am onboard and I watch those video saying that royal is very clean to the environment and bla bla bla and when I get to miami , i see this report
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old September 20th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemundoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave 3261
this message board is for people giving advice and seeking info on cruise vacations. Are you a cruiser or an environmental crusader? It seems to me if you are the later you're on the wrong site.

It seems to me you are trying to get people to boycott cruising. If that is the case you're in the wrong place.

What cruise line would you suggest that's "green" to you?
I have enough with my university to be part of an environmental group. But I get a little upset when i am onboard and I watch those video saying that royal is very clean to the environment and bla bla bla and when I get to miami , i see this report
Every other commercial on T.V. is companies telling you how environmentally friendly they are. Do you think manufacturers of hybrid cars are going to run commercials telling you how harmful the nickel metal etc. batteries are? Of course not!

This will be my last post on this thread as I want to get back to discussing cruises.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:13 AM
DougR.'s Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Erial, New Jersey
Posts: 3,310
Default

I am not certain which is worse, the loons on the left who want to make us feel guilty for existing on this planet or the wackadoodles on the right who deny there is such a thing as global warming.

A POX ON BOTH OF THEIR HOUSES!!!!!! :evil:

It is enough to turn one into a MILLATANT MODERATE!!!!!!
__________________
Doug




Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 19,357
Default

What we need is common sense.

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old September 21st, 2009, 03:35 PM
katlady's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On the lido deck with drink of the day
Posts: 12,911
Default

I have a question. What cruise ship is that in the picture?
__________________
One part age; three parts liquor!

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old September 21st, 2009, 04:05 PM
Dave Beers's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
I have a question. What cruise ship is that in the picture?
That would be a Statendam class ship from Holland America, which is odd since they listed HAL as having the highest score. But then lauding any cruise line - even the "winner" - wasn't in their plan. Their website also says a goal is to "create a more healthy, just world". "Just world" has an Animal Farm connotation.

I discount anything from groups such as this. As Kuki noted, they start with their desired conclusion and then perform answer analysis. No different than those who call a press conference to declare fettucini alfredo a "heart attack on a plate".
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old September 21st, 2009, 07:41 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 19,357
Default

Look at it this way, when we are polluting on a cruise ship we are not polluting at home.

We don't live in a perfect world.

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: homewood
Posts: 98
Default

Global warming? How about just changes in the climate. It has been happening for thousands of years. Where are all of this years devestating hurricanes where Katrina was only the beginning?
I agree we can help our planet by recycling, throw away less trash, use cleaner coal or nuclear power, but Al Gore is just taking your money....just like republicans screaming "the sky is falling" and taking naive peoples money.
__________________
Read and post cruise reviews
Voyager Nov. 2011
Millenium March 2011
Serenade October 2010
Freedom May 2010

Fantasy Nov. 2009
Serenade 2009
Victory March 2008
Holiday 2007
Rhapsody of the Seas 2006
Paradise 2004
Monarch of the Seas 2002
Paradise 2000
Big Red Boat 3x
NCL Sunward II
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old September 30th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Greeneville, Tennessee
Posts: 4,524
Default

Telemundo,

By alluding to be a "university" student, you provide me a basis to both ask a question as well as make a couple of salient observations.

You have enough WHAT with your University "....to be part of an environmental group?"

You would be far better served in providing your blanket statement more validity were you to mention just how the ship on which you sailed inordinately polluted the sea more than, say, a large freighter or super tanker or for that matter, a harbor tug. Oh and when you do, as you're not promoting theory but rather what you claim are "facts," you naturally would emulate Einstein in another regard and back up your statements with incontrovertible conclusions. Inasmuch as you claim to be a "university student," I would also think you would give your stance more legitimacy were to you to present your point by writing on a level better reflecting a university education.

Todd
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:40 AM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Ft Worth, Tx
Posts: 416
Default Please note!

With the evidence beginning to mount that "global warming" is not occuring, the new theme is "climate change"
So, to keep the hard core loons at bay, use the correct phrasiology!

Much of this wacked out garbage comes from our own laiziness. for years we smiled and laughed at the loons with their PC verbage and antics....Now they actually believe their own bilge!

We will keep on polluting, I mean cruising....
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel
We as human beings have to live and we all pollute. As a matter of fact our computers vause a lot of pollution and we all use them to post here and else where.

TM
I was thinking along the same lines. Pollute the air? the smoke stacks? Ok, if all of the 7,000 drove their car to a vacation spot, how would that compare? Water pollution? I thought the refuse was put through an internal sewage treatment plant? Same thing would happen in the towns we live in, water and refuse goes through the system and is returned to, in my town, the river.

I would need to know how much more polluting a ship is -- guess I might read the article. OOPs no link in the op.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Coast, Florida
Posts: 19,357
Default Re: Please note!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmunk
With the evidence beginning to mount that "global warming" is not occuring, the new theme is "climate change"
So, to keep the hard core loons at bay, use the correct phrasiology!

Much of this wacked out garbage comes from our own laiziness. for years we smiled and laughed at the loons with their PC verbage and antics....Now they actually believe their own bilge!

We will keep on polluting, I mean cruising....
I too will keep on polluting, I mean cruising.

TM
__________________
CRUISES
Century 4/1998
Mercury 4/2000+4/2006+7/2007
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
animal, connotation, farm

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Southern Caribbean..Royal Caribbean or Carnival? harbindoc Caribbean & Panama Canal 4 July 13th, 2009 01:03 PM
Caribbean April 5 - 17 Royal Caribbean Explorer Bayonne, NJ onfirst1 Seeking Cruise Companion 0 January 7th, 2009 05:34 PM
Caribbean Cruise - 4/19/08 - Royal Caribbean - Enchantment mlk154 Seeking Cruise Companion 0 March 11th, 2008 12:56 AM
Royal Caribbean + Carnival 14 days Caribbean $798. Share? onfirst1 Seeking Cruise Companion 0 January 5th, 2007 10:08 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:56 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1