Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Passenger

Default Jewelry Buying in the Mexican Riviera

I will be sailing on the Sapphire Princess November 14, 2009 to the ports of Puerto Vallerta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas. I would like to know which port has the best prices and selections on silver jewelry. I am looking for slides, rings, and braclets with stones. Also, is there a lot of fake 14kt gold being sold?
Thanks for your help.
Shopper 123
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to Atlanta_Cruiser
Default Re: Jewelry Buying in the Mexican Riviera

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopper123
I will be sailing on the Sapphire Princess November 14, 2009 to the ports of Puerto Vallerta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas. I would like to know which port has the best prices and selections on silver jewelry. I am looking for slides, rings, and braclets with stones. Also, is there a lot of fake 14kt gold being sold?
Thanks for your help.
Shopper 123
They are all pretty much the same. I just never look interested and I continually just walk away after I have them show me something I want...I tell them no thank you serval times until they hit the price I am looking for. Sales are down right now due to the economy, so they are eager to sell.

-CK in Atlanta
Old September 26th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Passenger

Hi Atlantic Cruiser,
Thanks for the shopping advice. I have used that same technique when I used to go to Tijuana, Mexico many many years ago.
Shopper 123-California
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Admiral

Default BUYING JEWELRY

There is no doubt that there is so much "junque"...but I'm sure if you look for an upscale shop or see if there is a Bustamate gallery you might find something. In Brazil.. at a port on the dock there was a flea market.. and I bought four strands of rough semi precious stones put together with a gold wire for $7.00 each..they are spectacular..it's so hard knowing if your getting a deal unless you go into a really upscale shop..everything looks the same.. shop around.
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Passenger

Hi Parrot Mom.
Thanks for the tip on the Bustamonte Gallery. What port are they in? Just curious, what did you do with your strands of the rough semi preious stones you bought in Brazil? Did you have someone cut and polish the stones and make jewelry for you?
Shopper 123
Old September 27th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Admiral

Default Jewelry

The stones are asemi precius stones(including amethyst) were already polished and put together with a gold wire making them each a necklace..I had been into H. Stern in Manaus and the least I could b uy was $2500.00 for a pendant...lol An eklderly cruiser looking at the stones and necklaces knew exactly what they were and said "you stole them"..lol.. As for Sergio Bustamante "google" him.. Had just checked him out for Triton who is on a cruise right now. Oh yes. Parrot Mom loves "different" jewelry and in Manaus found a shop by accident that (across from the Opera House) I bought a huge pod necklace and for more $$ than I should have paid a ceramic bead one.. In St. Barts...the chi-chi port. in a little souvenier store I spoted a funky "fllower power" lucite necklace for ab out $40.00 which has brought me nothing but raves.. If I were serious about silver I would probably go to Taxco.. Just noticed you are going to Puerta Vallarta. that is where we first found Bustamante.... they tell me he has two shops there.. one along the Malecon and one on a side street where we first found his work. The great part of shopping is the experience and the discovery of something "different"...Don't have buyers regret... remember after a while everything looks the same.. My Bustamante pendant which is very old is a woman with butterflies around her...but I so have one of his statues.. "Boy with the Butterly Ears"....
Old September 27th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Passenger

Thanks Parrot Mom for all your advice. I agree with a fellow cruiser, sounds lke you hit the motherload when you bought 4 necklaces at $7.00 each and they are worth so much more!
Happy jewelry shopping!
Shopper123
Old September 27th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Default shopping

Since I'm never satisfied with one.. I bought green, blue, purple and white.. I wish I had bought another white it sets the other stones off beautifully.. In P.V. many moons ago while there for a week ran into a corner shop..and there was a green parrot..this was way, way before I owned parrots.. I bought it.. it has turned out to be Malachite and now when I wear it people think I shopped specificially for it.. We fell so in love with B ustamante that on a second trip to P.V. we flew to his shop outside of Guadalajara. and bought pieces. Next door was Lily Puelo at the time a very famous Mexican designer...ooops.. two caftans later. one trimmed in gold and hand embroidered.just wore that one to a wedding a few weeks back) . if that wasnt enough.. behind the doors of a hacienda there I found a lovely handmade plate that I still have to t his day.. Allthough I still look for "jewelry"..our home is decorated with items from a "rain stick" to a wooden statue from the D.R. and wherever you look.. there is something that reminds us of a trip.. A paper machie piece.. whether a necklace or bracelet or earrings.. is usually very affordable.. and very different.. There are some famous designers of silver in Mexico, old pieces, I guess that are now very collectible.. but in the resort area you may see the same thing over and over...but whatever you do.. wear it with verve...and haggle hard.
Old September 27th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Passenger

Your like me Parrot Mom, if the price is too good to pass up, buy it in more than one color. Your advice at the end, "haggle hard" I agree, but only haggle when your NOT hungry, thirsty, or very tired. I learned that the hard way on our last cruise to Alaska. I paid too much for a Amolite pendent because of it.
Shopper 123
Old September 27th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Default Getting a Better Price

Parrot Pop has learned to "shop"..lol.. The only time I have bought anything on shore was just recently caught in a rain storm in St. Lucia and hid out in a well known chain of jewelry shops.. Spotted a two tone gold twisted bracelet..worked that deal hard as we were I had heard going to be the last cruise ship stopping there for a while.. It draws NO comments..lol, but I love it.. and it works for me.. Since found out it was made in Italy but is 24K gold.. Went into a jewelry store there (what else) and spotted an Honora cuff pearl bracelet..that I had bought at Lord and Taylors on sale on a whim... can I tell you the exact bracelet was several $$ more in St. Lucia.. So, know your prices on cameras, watches, etc.
Old September 28th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Shopper I like your name..my Mass license plate is shop*r

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator