Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Beginner

I belive the pool towel policy is fleet wide, but the enforcement appears to be 'by ship'. We encountered same on the EN, and it was pretty simple. If no sea pass was available, they just wrote stateroom and # of towels down.
I hope it reduces the chair saving by the pools. I'd rather have a little enforcement than come to the pool at 8:30am in the morning and find 98% of the area blanketed by towels and no one there.
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Admiral

If I'm correct on this and believe I am ( at least on the Freedom ) you don't have to check in and out a towel every time you go to and from your room, etc. If you check out a towel, it's simply entered in the system that you got it and signed for it. If by the last evening of the cruise ( 10 p.m. Sat. night on the Freedom ) then you will be charged for the towel or towels you haven't returned. So, in effect you could check out a towel on Sunday ( the sailing day for the Freedom ) keep it til Wed. turn it in, get another, etc. As long as you showed returning all the checked out towels by 10 p.m the last night ( Sat on the Freedom ) you would not be charged. If you showed having 1-2-3 towels not returned by that time, then your Seapass would be charged for the missing towel or towels.
Not as big a deal as some would make it seem.
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:00 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
If I'm correct on this and believe I am ( at least on the Freedom ) you don't have to check in and out a towel every time you go to and from your room, etc. If you check out a towel, it's simply entered in the system that you got it and signed for it. If by the last evening of the cruise ( 10 p.m. Sat. night on the Freedom ) then you will be charged for the towel or towels you haven't returned. So, in effect you could check out a towel on Sunday ( the sailing day for the Freedom ) keep it til Wed. turn it in, get another, etc. As long as you showed returning all the checked out towels by 10 p.m the last night ( Sat on the Freedom ) you would not be charged. If you showed having 1-2-3 towels not returned by that time, then your Seapass would be charged for the missing towel or towels.
Not as big a deal as some would make it seem.
You are right that is exactly how it works. Plus you can exchange dirty for clean as many times as you want during the week without them scanning your card as long as you return the same amount of towels on the last day and have them scan your card. Just make sure they are returned the last night or you will have to stand in line at guest relations to have them marked off as returned.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

When I was on the Explorer in April, they were just handing the towels out to whoever wanted them with no sign out. Sometimes they were handing them out and other times you could just grab them off the table.

People were not retuning them to the used towel drop and just leaving them on the chairs when they left the pool area. People were not using these chairs thinking they were occupied when they were not.

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2009
RCI Explorer of the Seas, January 2010
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:55 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave 3261
When I was on the Explorer in April, they were just handing the towels out to whoever wanted them with no sign out. Sometimes they were handing them out and other times you could just grab them off the table.

People were not retuning them to the used towel drop and just leaving them on the chairs when they left the pool area. People were not using these chairs thinking they were occupied when they were not.

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
If I remember correctly the towels on the Explorer are the old yellowish towels, not the blue ones, so they didn't have to be checked out. We were in a suite and the stateroom attendent had them in the room and replaced them with clean ones whenever we needed them.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou
After a beautiful day at Coco Cay, I was returning towels for
myself and my roommate. She had her seapass to get in
the cabin.

Guess, I'm just cranky.
They just wanted to certain your roommate got credit for returning her towel. They can't do that without her seapass. It is a pain at times. But if the cruiseline could stop thiefs from steal towels and other stuff. They may be able to start bring back the things they had to cut due to shrinkage.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old October 7th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Passenger

I agree with Mike and Suz, what the heck is the big deal!!
We just got off a back to back, one on the Mariner and one on the Enchantment. In both cases the towel check in and check out was no problem at all, remember fellow cruisers anything that makes it easier and more efficient for Royal to operate the cruise generally translates into cheaper cruise costs, you'll get over it!!
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:41 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divedad
I agree with Mike and Suz, what the heck is the big deal!!
We just got off a back to back, one on the Mariner and one on the Enchantment. In both cases the towel check in and check out was no problem at all, remember fellow cruisers anything that makes it easier and more efficient for Royal to operate the cruise generally translates into cheaper cruise costs, you'll get over it!!
Amen!!!
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave 3261

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
If I remember correctly the towels on the Explorer are the old yellowish towels, not the blue ones, so they didn't have to be checked out. We were in a suite and the stateroom attendent had them in the room and replaced them with clean ones whenever we needed them.
Yes, they were the yellowish towels. Wow yellowish is really a word, my spellcheck didn't underline it!

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:16 PM
Familiar Face

Well, I will preface my comment by stating that I have never cruised (first will be on the Allure Dec. 12 2010)...but, just thinking about this problem and how I might feel aboard the ship...I am thinking it isn't a big deal. Although, I can understand the frustraightion of having gotten from the pool, all the way back to your room, and then returning to the pool with your towel, along with other cabin guests, and having them NOT allow you to turn in the towels of the other guests. If I read correctly, the person who started this post, did in fact have their seapass on them, it was because they didn't have the seapasses for the other guests as well. This would be slightly frustraighting because I believe the intended purpose of the policy is to prevent theft and make sure that all towels checked out are recovered. As long as you can look back in the computer and verify that a towel that has once been checked out, has now been returned, then the policy appears to have served it's intended purpose weather or not a seapass was presented to return the towel. So, while I agree with the policy, I also understand the reasoning for being frustraighted at not being allowed to return a towel. I hope my rambelings made sense (and forgive my spelling, its horrible I know!) ;-)
Old October 3rd, 2010, 03:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

so let me get this right, everyday you get a towel you must have it back by 10pm that night or you must return your towel at the end of the trip????

2002- Celebrity Summit –Alaska
2004-RCI Vision of the Sea – Alaska
2006- Carnival Victory- Canada
2007-Crown Princess- Caribbean
2008- Carnival Miracle- Caribbean
2010-Explorer of the Sea -Caribbean
2011 NCL Jewel to Caribbean
2012 NCL Gem to Caribbean ( during Hurricane sandy)
Old October 3rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
Admiral

It's been awhile since we've done an RCL but we had to give our seapass card. Just one of us did and signed out 2 towels. I believe it maybe a case of responsibility. Are you willing to be responsible for or let's say - 6 people returning their towel on time or you have to collect all 6 and return them? If you are I'm sure they'll let you have them all.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old October 4th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Same policy on our July voyage on Majesty. I don't even know who would want to keep the towels, although they had RCL logo on them, they were discolored, old and frayed. We had to check them in/return them to pool as well with our cards, but only took a sec as we were the only ones there doing so.
If I were going to keep any towels, they'd be brand new and have my name on them (and keep everyone wondering just who the heck ======was!)
Old October 4th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I think part of the policy is also to make sure people don't just leave towels on deck chairs - that way you know when a person has left.

I do agree with Lou about the card, they should be able to check in a towel even without the card by using the room number.

But I don't know - maybe they actually have to match the towels with the specifric card so people who lose towels don't borrow and turn in someone else's.

And you thought running a cruise line was easy.
Old October 4th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
But I don't know - maybe they actually have to match the towels with the specifric card so people who lose towels don't borrow and turn in someone else's.

And you thought running a cruise line was easy.
Great point paul! I had not thought about that. it seems it would make their job much harder, but maybe provide tighter controll is worth it to them. food for thought though. I would NEVER think it is an easy thing to pull of one of these amazing feats they manage to pull off day in and day out. I will always be in awe of the comunication, coordination, and coorperation that it must take to make one of these trips happen.

;-)
Old October 15th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Passenger

We just bring our own beach towels. I paid considerably less than $20 for them, so if we lose one, it's not such a big deal. Plus, if I leave my chair, I can find it pretty easily.
Carnival Glory 07/04
Carnival Glory 12/04
Carnival Valor 12/05
Carnival Miracle 08/06
Carnival Fascination 10/06
Carnival Triumph 06/07
Carnival Inspiration 11/07
Carnival Destiny 08/08
Carnival Inspiration 10/09
Carnival Inspiration 10/10
Old October 16th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Familiar Face

Maybe we can ask for the old towels without the RCI logo.
2010 Explorer of the Seas
1990 Costa Riviera
1988 Carnival Holiday

Tom's Toys
Old October 17th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Taking your own towel may work for some but for those of us who have to fly it's just one more added weight that we can ill afford to worry about.

When we had to sign them out with our setsail I really didn't think anything about it except to tell DH make sure he had his towel along with his watch and sandals.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.