Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 4th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Beginner

Default royal caribbean credit card points

Any advice? sailing on Oasis of the Seas in Feb. 2010, and will cash in my bonus points in Dec. to use for shore excursions restaurants, etc. However with Oasis one can book all of these things online months in advance, and is probably wise to do so with the large number of passengers, but you need to pay with a credit card in order to book. How will I be able to use my points if I have to pay now? If that's the case, there's no sense in having them! Appreciate any help!
Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Admiral

Why not simply cash in points for onboard credit? You'll still be charging to your sign&sail account during the cruise.
Old October 4th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would be interested to hear how you did cash in your points....I thought it was something to have done before even booking the cruise?

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 4th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I thought it was something to have done before even booking the cruise?
It depends. For getting OBC you have to have a booking number in order to send the paperwork in to RCI. Once you request a points redemption you have to use it within a certain period of time or it goes away and you lose those points.
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:39 PM
First Mate

When I am ready to use points for the next cruise, I just call and request on board credit vouchers and mail in the coupon. when you get on board your seapass card will have a credit. It is money you are going to spend anyway, so it reduces your seapass balance. It is not paying for anything specific, but it is all coming out of the same pot anyway.
Old October 6th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

I had enough points to upgrade to a balcony from an outside stateroom. We booked on the Serenade last March for March 2010 and when we had enough points I called and got a certificate in the mail. Then I called RCI and talked to them about an upgrade. They went ahead an upgraded my cabin and then I mailed the cert to an address in Memphis if I am remembering correctly. It wasn't FL. I know for sure. Anyway, they credited the difference when the received the cert in the mail. No problems at all..

However, the only problem is, is that BOA decided that they would raise my interest rate to 29% from now on unless I would op out and not add anything to the balance. Never late, never over limit nothing.......... New rules they say..... So.......... We cashed in our points and have a small amount still we are paying. Unfortunately after that is paid off, we will close this account. They really don't care what I do though..... I just asked hubby last week if he wanted to open a new account with RCI under his name so we could get the points and he said NO.......... oh well.....................
Old October 6th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Admiral

We had to close our RCI CC with BOA for the same reason. They called and decided to lower our credit limit and raise our interest rates under what they called "New Rules". We never missed or were late for a payment, never got over half our credit limit. So we closed the card and took the points. The coupons they sent us had a 180 day limit to use them. We used them all for OBC on our Europe cruise next year and got $450 OBC. Plus our $100 OBC for using our "Next Cruise" certificate, we will have $550 OBC on our Voyager OTS cruise!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old October 6th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Familiar Face

Same situation here. BOA raised our rates because of the "new rules". We're cashing in our points for an OB credit and then opting out of the card. It was fun while it lasted, though. Putting the kids through college paid for one cruise and a companion fare on another.
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Admiral

They cut my line of credit in half....NOt nice...

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Beginner

Default royal caribbean points

My dilemma is that onboard credit for bonus points cannot be used until you board and get your seapass card and they take any paid purchases off the top of of your card until your credit is used up and then you begin paying for things on the cruise. Normally I book excursions when I get on the ship, but with the Oasis, there are 5,000 passengers able to book online, so there may not be anything available by the time we sail. Same thing for the specialty restaurants. Does anyone else have the same concern?
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:52 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy100
I had enough points to upgrade to a balcony from an outside stateroom. We booked on the Serenade last March for March 2010 and when we had enough points I called and got a certificate in the mail. Then I called RCI and talked to them about an upgrade. They went ahead an upgraded my cabin and then I mailed the cert to an address in Memphis if I am remembering correctly. It wasn't FL. I know for sure. Anyway, they credited the difference when the received the cert in the mail. No problems at all..

However, the only problem is, is that BOA decided that they would raise my interest rate to 29% from now on unless I would op out and not add anything to the balance. Never late, never over limit nothing.......... New rules they say..... So.......... We cashed in our points and have a small amount still we are paying. Unfortunately after that is paid off, we will close this account. They really don't care what I do though..... I just asked hubby last week if he wanted to open a new account with RCI under his name so we could get the points and he said NO.......... oh well.....................
Same thing happened here. Never a late payment, have had the card for years. We opted for the low interest rate if we don't use it, we will pay it off and close it too. Makes no sense to me either.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old October 10th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Beginner

I just used my BoA Royal points. When BoA sends the vouchers to you in the mail you have a choice on the back to check a box for Stateroom upgrade, OBC, Cruise Discount, or royal Wear (robes, polo, hat)

Just sent the vouchers to Royal head quarters.
You pick your choice. I picked the $500 cruise discount, $150 cruise discount, and a $50 OBC. This way $650 off my cruise price and I still have a little OBC to look forward to.

The same thing happened to me as well, had my Royal card since 2001, never late. got a letter in the mail. New rules jumped from 8.9% to 29%
NO THANK YOU! closed my account.

So you may want to go for the cruise discount
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Thanks JOds,
I was hoping to use some kind of cruise discount.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 19th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, it's good to know that they didn't single us out.. I was really bummed.... It's really crappy that "WE" play by the rules and they don't have too................... RCI needs to find a new card holder so that we can enjoy the benefits.