Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 5th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Remote Computer access From RCCL Internet Center

Well, this is a computer question but as it applies to RCCL. Has anyone tried to use a remote access program to access your home computer, from the Internet center on an RCCL ship? I just downloaded GoToMyPC as I'll need to access my home computer from Oasis in December. When I first tried to use it, it seems to download a program that then allows me to access my home computer and I'm wondering about wether the computers in the shipboard internet center will allow me to download a program of any kind. If this turns out to be a problem, I may have to find a different program to use if possible.

And before some people come out of the woodwork and start ripping me for doing computer stuff while on vacation, let me say that I totally agree with you. And no, I don't plan on working or living on the computer while on board. I have to bid monthly for my schedule at work and the January bid will come out while I'm on the ship. So, I need to be able to do that.
Curse the rotten timing!
Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The simplest answer is taking a lap-top if you have one. You can use the ship's Wifi and your computer... though the cost of Internet time is the same as if you were using their computers.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 5th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am 99.99% positive that you will NOT be able to download anything on their computers.
I would agree with taking your laptop. It might be a hassle to travel with - but if it means getting time off that you want - I would not take a chance.
HAFUN on your cruise!!!
1979 NCL Skyward, 1981 NCL Starward, 1984 NCL Starward, 1989 Carnival Tropicale, 1989 NCL Starward, 1992 NCL Norway, 1993 Regency Regent Sea, 1995 NCL Windward, 1997 RCCL Legend, 1998 RCCL Legend, 2002 RCCL Grandeur, 2004 HAL Ryndam, 2004 RCCL Explorer, 2005 RCCL Splendour, 2005 RCCL Serenade, 2006 RCCL Vision, 2007 RCCL Freedom, 2008 RCCL Monarch, 2009 RCCL Mariner

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Admiral

Another point: do not expect high speed internet, which means using "go to my pc" could be both a bothersome and expensive chore. Shipboard internet can be slow, or drop totally off-line, without warning.
Old October 5th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Admiral

I've always found that an internet cafe in port is the best and cheapest way to use internet while on a cruise.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the ideas. I was trying to avoid the whole laptop thing. I have thought about using the internet cafes in port but have had spotty luck even finding them. Plus in this case, it wouldn't help me because there is a bidding program I have to use that is on my home PC (or could be on the laptop). The good news is that I contacted GoToMyPC and they told me that their system is set up so that if you are on a computer that does not allow you to download programs, it will automatically take you to another connection that does not download. You just lose some functionality. So that's good to know. Anyway, I'll figure something out. I don't plan on spending too much time on ship doing this. More likely going to spend it trying to figure out how not to get lost on board.