Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Beginner

Default First Cruise

We are taking our first cruise as a family, myself, husband and kids 15,13,and 11. Mariner of the Seas Dec. 20, 2009, we will be onboard over Christmas. Will there be any extra activities for the Holidays? Also, any tips for us first timers? WE CAN'T WAIT!
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Captain

Default Re: First Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzinfamily
We are taking our first cruise as a family, myself, husband and kids 15,13,and 11. Mariner of the Seas Dec. 20, 2009, we will be onboard over Christmas. Will there be any extra activities for the Holidays? Also, any tips for us first timers? WE CAN'T WAIT!
I've never sailed at Christmas. My guess would be that they probably at least do some extra decorating and maybe have a special dinner or something. Although, these days, they may have to worry about political correctness and not go too overboard with a Xmas theme....Would be interesting to hear from someone who has cruised over Xmas.

There will be tons for your kids to do in the ship's kid's programs. I'm sure they will have a blast. Also, you can do some research ahead of time on line and look for & book excursions. You can save alot on excursions by doing that instead of paying the big mark up the cruise lines put on them. Just make sure the company caters to cruise passengers and that they are committed to having you back to the ship on time for departure. Also, don't think you have to do excursions at every port. The days in port are great for discounts at the spas, no pool crowds and plenty else to do if you just stay on board. It's kind of nice not to have to be a certain place at a certain time in every port for an excursion...Just keep in mind they are completely optional! However, I'm not sure where you are cruising to....Some cruises, like Alaska for example, are pretty port intensive and you would probably want to see something at every port. However, in the Carribean, Bahamas etc, alot of the ports beging to look kind of the same and staying on board isn't really a big deal.

Follow that old travel advice...Take half the clothes you think you will need but twice the money! Have fun.
Old October 12th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Captain

ready2board said it all. Your kids will have a great time and you an even better time because you won't have to watch them 24/7.

I've done 1 holiday cruise and took a cut-out of the item I had bought, gave it to them on Christmas and we went about our merry way. The cruise was the big gift and thats all they talked about.
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14

Booked:Freedom OTS 10/14
Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15

Old October 12th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

On our 2 NYEve cruises, we saw the holiday decorations, nice but they didn't go overboard....The kids may see Santa in the ports in shorts,and you can buy great holiday ornaments and Christmas cards to send for next year)

Think about bringing walky talkies to keep in touch while onboard...It's exciting to be on a holiday crusie, and you will always be smiling..trust me

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 14th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Admiral

Enjoy your cruise! I'm sure your teens and preteen will love this ship.

Family pictures around the ship Christmas tree will be awesome. 8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Passenger

Default I agree

There will always be something going on for them. And you will have some alone time to yourself to treasure! Have a wonderful crusie. Let us all know how it goes so we may give it a try some year.
Happy Cruising!
Jeanne

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 27th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Admiral

it's really like having many Christmas celebrations in one...the cruise is the big Christmas gift ..you'll bring 1-2 small gifts onboard..and then when you get home, you open up the rest of your gifts...celebrating Christmas on a private island would appeal to me and Santa Claus

the CD recites the night before Christmas on the PA system