Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Brilliance 10-1-09 Broken windows

Anyone know how many people were injured after the windows were broken on deck 3?

I heard that the Staff Captain was injured along with 4 or 5 others not to mention the sea sickness and smaller bruises from the rocking.

I would like to know if these people are OK.
Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Brilliance 10-1-09 Broken windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzzz1000
Anyone know how many people were injured after the windows were broken on deck 3?

I heard that the Staff Captain was injured along with 4 or 5 others not to mention the sea sickness and smaller bruises from the rocking.

I would like to know if these people are OK.
Everyone is okay. Only two people got injured. But they are fine. 3 windows were damaged on deck 3. They are now replaced and the ship is sailing, but the med still has bad weather.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm not sure where you got your information but there were more than 2 people that were inured.

1) One Man stumbled down the hallway with blood on his chest. He was only wearing boxer shorts and barefoot as he walked himself to the Medic.

2) One Lady was taken via wheelchair by some of the crew down to the Medic.

3) One was carried by crew with a severe laceration on his right wrist with severe swelling. he was also undressed.

4) One lady was white as a ghost and unconscious and they carried her horizontally down the hall to the Medic.

And finally, I was told that the Staff Captain was injured trying to bolt the Metal plate to the broken window when another wave pushed the metal plate towards him. I cannot substantiate that claim but it does come from a reliable source.

So how do YOU know there were only 2 injuries and that everyone is OK?

Does anybody know anything more about this incident?
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Where did you get your information? With the injuries you are decribing there certainly would have been more publicity.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old November 4th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was 2 cabins away from the entire ordeal. I saw this with my own eyes.
Old November 5th, 2009, 03:32 PM
First Mate

YIKES!!! What happened???

http://community.webshots.com/user/megr1125
That's for my photos and videos!

And..for Enchantment OTS photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...mentOfTheSeas#

Nov/Dec 2009 Explorer B2B photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...sB2BNovDec2009#

And Explorer B2B Video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cruisermeg
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Admiral

I'm sorta confused--in your original post of Oct. 18 you said you heard
the staff captain and 4-5 others were injured. In ypur last post of Nov. 4 you say you were 2 doors away and saw the injuries. Just confused-- what did you see and what did you hear and what do you know for a fact?
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Mediterranean was as still as a bathtub 2 days prior.
The last day back to Barcelona we experienced Cat. 1 Hurricane winds (75 mph).

The seas became rough and the Bow of the ship was rolling up and down. As we came down this particular moment (11:15PM) a strong wave was moving upwards. The collision was enough to knock out 2 windows and caused an opening in a 3rd window.

There were screams coming from the cabins on the starboard side of the Bow and I could feel cold air coming from the ceiling.

I opened the cabin door and found water coming down the hall. maybe 2 inches deep and it began to flow into our cabin.

The staff had already appeared to help take the injured down to the Medic.

Metal plates were fastened to all windows in that section. Many were evacuated out of their cabin and either received another cabin or had to sleep in the centrum. They could not fasten metal plates to the first 2 cabin windows since the entire frame had blown out. So they stuffed the window with blankets to keep water from entering as much as possible.

The ship limped back to barcelona 6 hours late.

They had to rip out everything from the first 2 cabins ( I saw the TV being removed as well as cabinets).

They had to replace the windows the next day and then have it inspected the day after that. Thus, the next group of passengers had 2 1/2 port days in Barcelona before their cruise ever left the Dock.

I also went down to the Medic to check on the injured. The Lady who was unconscious was on a table with the Head down and the feet up and she had an IV in her. That is all I know. Good cruise and great weather until that last day.
Old November 6th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Sue L

Sorry that was wrong , I was on the Oct 13th sailing and yes we didn't board until 6pm but we left Barcelona at about 11 am not 2 1/2 days later. We missed Cannes and ended up being 15 hours late getting back into Barcelona on the 25th of October and they let us spend the night on the ship. The Oct 25th cruisers did NOT board until the 26th and they ended up missing 4 ports, 2 due to the lateness and 2 to weather. Bad situation.
Old November 6th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Sue L for that update.
I was told that the windows were to be replaced on Wednesday and the inspections would be on Thursday and then they would leave once the OK was given.

I felt bad for your group having to wait in the heat and sun for so long. Many people had JUST flown into Barcelona and they must have been exhausted and just wanted to eat and get some sleep ASAP.

Why were you 15 hours late? Bad weather again?

Unfortunately there are no guarantees on Ships, Planes and even vehicles.
Missing 4 Ports is really sad. Some people saved a long time for this cruise just to see a part of history like Florence, Rome, Athens, Turkey, etc and to miss seeing The David, the Vatican or whatever you wanted to see, you may not have the opportunity available again.

Please tell me what the weather was like during your 10-13-09 cruise.

Like I said, our weather was FANTASTIC: low 70's, sunny, slight breeze, we had fabulous sunsets. Up until Monday's return sea day.