Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 21st, 2009, 04:37 PM
Passenger

Default Shopping tips & hints please:Eastern Caribbean

Ports of call are St Phillipsburg, Charlotte Amelie & San Juan. Like before I am not much of a shopper but I do like a nice leather handbag, but my friend is crazy about jewelry. Want to know if you can bargan as you can in Cozumel. Any tips on where to go would be great. Looking for to cruise #2 on the IOS March 20,2010. Any one coming along? Lets chat!
Happy Cruising
Jeanne

Read and post cruise reviews
Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In San Juan, Forteleza Street is the shopping area. On the way there, you can find sidewalk vendors, selling sunglasses, faux handbags etc....In the district, you will find jewlery stores, and even a Marshalls!

In St Thomas, most taxi's will leave you off at the flea market area...faux bags, sunglasses, jewelry, tee's etc...The main street, and, gades [side streets] have everthing for diehard shoppers..Leather bags, perfumes, linen shops and tons of jewelry stores. If you are planning on buying anything major, do your research and know your prices....I brought back a perfume brochure, which gives 2009/2010 perfume prices, this, I have never seen before, so I could let you know what prices they are selling for here.

In St Maarten, the ship leaves you off on the Dutch side....prices on this side are better than on the French side..once again, all mentioned above is here as well...sometimes if you see something in one port and decide to wait till another port, you can drive yourself crazy..while St T, and, St M
have the same stores, the merchandise may not be the same....

Know what you want, and, what you want to pay, but let serendipity happen too...enjoy!...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 22nd, 2009, 02:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

I LOVE St. Thomas for jewelry. I do try and stay away from Diamonds Int. and Tanzanite Int. I find that the salespeople are very pushy. I bought a ring and bracelet from a store downtown and think I got a really good deal. I can't think of the name right now but it's down kind of a alley and the guy that works there looks like Ray Ramano. He even said people call him that all the time. They were willing to really deal and were very low key. If I can ever remember the name I will post it..... They are not listed in the brochure from RCI....
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:19 PM
Passenger

Default Q

Thanks so much for the replies. You don't know how much this helps when going to new ports. We depend on the wisdom of those you have gone before us.
Jeanne

Just have to brag a bit: I haven't smoked sinced Oct. 5, THREE weeks. Some days are easy an some are still tough. Saving the money I would have spent on the cigarettes to use on the cruise. $150 a month.....Yeah for me. Momma needs some new shoes!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old October 26th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

The name of the store was Renaissance Jewelers... Hope that helps!!