Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 30th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Ship Envy

So, after recently returning from a cruise, we decided to start the hunt for another, I found several I liked, but got two mixed up in my mind, and therein lies a dilemma. I do know how it will play out but, listen to the scenario.

The 2 ships I got mixed up were, the Solstice, and the Oasis. For some reason I was thinking the prices for the Solstice, were for the Oasis. Funny Huh?

For 2 ships, with almost the same BASIC itineraries, the divide is unreal. They both go to St Thomas, and St Maarten..one goes to Nassau, while the other goes to San Juan, and both dates are a week apart. Oct.3 & 9, 2010...by that time the Solstice will be over 2, and, the Oasis will be almost a year old. Solstice ov...$849...balc..899....Oasis ov..$1389..balc..1579..oh my..these rates I found while just perusing around the web....

So, I know for that itinerary, & for that price, I won't be sailing on the Oasis, anytime soon, but, I wonder how many people will pay these sky high prices, even during hurricane season, to sail this ship, just to say they sailed this ship? Does ship envy set in, and, the need to sail the biggest and the most provocative ship, shall we say, spur people on to book? I would like to sail this ship, but I will wait till things calm down, and I sure hope they do....

What to do you think?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2009, 10:02 PM
First Mate

For me it is all about the ship, I don't care where it goes. No brainer, Oasis then Allure in 2012
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:52 AM
Admiral

I sail for both and the Oasis is not for me. I would much prefer the Solstice and nothing bigger.

I'm waiting to hear what embarking and disembarking is going to be like. I am not a patient person and unless they decide to allow everyone to stay in the cabins and/or use the facilities as the ship clears I cannot for the life of me, see what could be standing in lines for hours. There will be customs and immigration to be dealt with and you can be sure those guys are not going to be in a hurry. Once outside there will be another 5000 who will be waiting to board. It appears to me with 10000 people mingling about at one time it is not going to be pleasant. Couple that with the other ships from other lines that will be in that day - wow.

I live in a city of 18000. All I can picture is every man women and child from my city in that small area at the same time trying to get on or off one ship or another. Doesn't work for me.

The other thing that I keep picturing - St. Thomas, Oasis and a couple of other ships at the same time. Everyone gets off and the island sinks from too many people. I'm just kidding but I certainly do see it too crowded on the islands with so many people.

Really. what this does for me is make me rethink all Caribbean Islands and I'm going to have to be very careful on future cruises to be sure I'm not at the same place when the Oasis and Allure are.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old October 31st, 2009, 11:09 AM
Admiral

I have sailed on the Solstice (loved it ) and now I want to experience the Oasis. I am retired and want to sail on the larger ships while I am still energetic and feeling young.

I will probably want to do a second cruise on the Oasis and possibly the Allure.

I don't worry too much about the price because life is too short.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old October 31st, 2009, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Ditto to what Yellosno said...It's all about the ship for me all the islands are the same to me at this point. Yellosno you forgot to add that a ship with a Boleros is a must!

Ditto to what TM said....Already looking into another Oasis cruise in the summer or fall and then the Allure next December. Also TM keep in mind you can be energetic and feeling young at any age. I plan to be cruising larger ships and rock climbing and ziplining well into my 60's, 70's and 80's. 8) 8) 8) 8)

The prices on Oasis are very high and should remain high unitl Allure is up and running. However did see about a month ago an excellent rate of $799. for next halloween on Oasis right from one of the travel advertisers here on Cruisemates.

Oasis will be a family oriented ship and if you have kids/teens then it does not get better then Oasis or is you are like myself a teen stuck in an adult body.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old October 31st, 2009, 11:57 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Right now, early sailings for Oasis are far from sold out. You can have your pick of a cabin for a December and January sailings. That is if you want to pay the price.

Later sailings have fewer cabins but "a lot" of those are held by agencies for group space. We'll have to see how those sell or if they return to the pool and are available for booking and if Oasis sells out and the prices remain high.

My prediction is that Oasis will have some "great" deals 90 days from sailing.

I may be wrong but that is what my gut is telling me.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 31st, 2009, 01:31 PM
Admiral

I'm leaning towards the Epic, but an Oasis sailing would give me 10 for RCL which moves me up to be of equal status with CQ
Old October 31st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Admiral

We are all about itinerary and not the ship. I would go Solstace if I was going RCI. We dont go RCI though ( ( came to look at this thread after seeing it mentioned elsewhere) because we dont like fixed dinning times. I did see Oasis rolled out last night on TV and it gave us both the "no feeling" as soon as we saw it. Just too many people, to big, and takes away from why we go. I dont know how the islands will handle such a huge influx of people, it will be the first time I plan a trip according to if "that ship" is in port. JMHO. Some people wont care at all, they wont even leave the ship, but we do and are often one of the first to get off.
Old October 31st, 2009, 06:12 PM
First Mate

[quote="thecruisequeen"]Ditto to what Yellosno said...It's all about the ship for me all the islands are the same to me at this point. Yellosno you forgot to add that a ship with a Boleros is a must!

Yes, you are correct it must have a Boleros. It may sound completely silly, but if the Oasis had no Latin music venue, I would not book it. Some friends wanted to book the Epic, but you guessed it, no Boleros. So we will be doing the Adventure out of San Juan.
Old October 31st, 2009, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I spoke to a ta in chat last night, who told me that for NY EVE, the prices could choke a horse..She told us, and, I have not checked it out, inside 2500.00 ....she also ditto'd what Mike said...plenty of cabins avail...

I would think there has to be a point, where the pricing just becomes so over the top, many would just say...NO!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 31st, 2009, 07:34 PM
Admiral

It is ridiculous what they are doing. I know our company is offering $100 OBC for any sailing. We had group space available for the first 2 or 3 sailings in December. I don't know what they are going to do if they can't fill the first part of their first season after all the hype.

Yes, there are all sorts of cabins available yet they prices are double anything else.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Prices will have to come down if they want every sailing booked to the max.

However in these times all cruiselines are having a hard time keeping ships filled.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old November 1st, 2009, 03:52 AM
Admiral

I think RCI knows what it is doing in terms of pricing...for the first month or so, they may not want to have the ship full so that they can work out the kinks..by keeping the prices high, they will be able to offset load factor by revenue yield and still capitialize on the "hype"

plus the economy is still not back on track, so folks are putting off alot of things, including cruising
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:38 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
I think RCI knows what it is doing in terms of pricing...for the first month or so, they may not want to have the ship full so that they can work out the kinks..by keeping the prices high, they will be able to offset load factor by revenue yield and still capitialize on the "hype"

plus the economy is still not back on track, so folks are putting off alot of things, including cruising
Venice,

I have to disagree with this. Cruise lines always want the ships to sail full. A less than full ship is a money loser and they do not want to lose money.

I do agree that the economy will have a lot to do with how full the ship will be.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellosno
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
Ditto to what Yellosno said...It's all about the ship for me all the islands are the same to me at this point. Yellosno you forgot to add that a ship with a Boleros is a must!

Yes, you are correct it must have a Boleros. It may sound completely silly, but if the Oasis had no Latin music venue, I would not book it. Some friends wanted to book the Epic, but you guessed it, no Boleros. So we will be doing the Adventure out of San Juan.
Yellosno, Not silly at all. I have a passion for latin music and dance and would find myself lost on a ship without a Boloeros. Dancing on the Boleros dance floor or just sitting at the bar with my Mojito enjoying the music and watching others dance is like heaven to me.... 8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old November 3rd, 2009, 11:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, I'm not much of a dancer but I do love the music at Boleros and watching others kick it up. It really makes you want to move. Who knows, maybe someday my wife will drag me out on the floor (possibly with the help of numerous mojitos). But I must admit, not having any training, I would probably be pretty good entertainment. The plus side is that I'll be there on Oasis on the 1st and that will be good either way.