Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:07 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default travel irons

Is it okay to bring a small travel iron on the ship and do they still provide shampoo?
Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2009, 10:13 AM
Admiral

They do provide shampoo, but a travel iron is a safety issue and I don't believe that is allowed in the cabins.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old October 31st, 2009, 12:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Shampoo is provided, however I guess that most cruisers prefer to bring their own brand. People have different likes and dislikes when it comes to shampoo.

As for irons, that is a big no no. The reason stated is always safety, but I will throw some gasoline on the fire and say that I believe that the real reason has nothing to do with fire at all. (When is the last time that you read about an iron causing a house fire? Probably never...)

I think the real reason that cruise lines frown on irons is the power they draw from the ship's main electrical system (generators). Image all the power that would be required the couple hours before formal night if most of the cabins had irons on. The generators would probably stall
05/89 NCL, Seaward, 1990 Carnival, Topicale, 1991 Carnival, Festivale, 11/93 Wind Star, Wind Song, 01/95 Celebrity, Horizon, 01/96 Celebrity, Century, 01/00 Celebrity, Zenith, 01/01 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/02 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/03 Celebrity, Summit, 05/04 Princess, Diamond, 01/05 Celebrity, Galaxy, 01/07 Oceania, Regatta, 01/08 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 02/09 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 01/10 Celebrity, Solstice
Old October 31st, 2009, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Travel irons are a BIG no-no onboard a cruise ship. Having spent the last 20+ years as a firefighter, I can personally attest to MANY house fires being started by numerous heat generating appliances, especially irons. A travel iron, or any iron, has a large flat surface that reach extremely high degress and fire onboard a cruise ship, or any ship for that matter, is the single most serious emergency event that could happen onboard. The fire onboard the Star Princess in 2006 in which a passenger died was attributed to a single smoldering cigerette discarded by a passenger. Fire is very serious onboard a cruise ship and all the cruiselines error on the side of safety and forbid all heat generating appliances onboard by passengers, and that is a GOOD policy!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old October 31st, 2009, 11:23 PM
Admiral

Cruise lines don't want electrical appliances brought aboard a ship for one reason---safety. They don't care about what power it would draw from the electrical system--they care about someone leaving something on ( drunks might just do that ) children being accidentally burned, etc.
As another poster said fire is the biggest threat to a ship at sea.
I retired from the insurance claims business and can tell you that many fires are started from people leaving electrical appliances plugged in, turned on, etc. You really won't use an iron that much--steam the clothes by hanging them in the bath with some hot water running-- hang them up carefully when you take them off-- use the spray that's available to remove wrinkles and lastly, there's a laundry service if you just have to have it. Several ways to get around having to try to iron and lastly, who wants to go on vacation and have to worry about ironing clothes ??
Old November 1st, 2009, 02:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

First let me say that I am in 100% agreement that anything that is, or can be considered, a fire hazard should not find its way into a cruise ship cabin including irons. However; with all due respect to blueliner & Ron, there is no evidence that I can find that irons are a major, or even a minor cause of house fires. The best scource for that statement can be found at: http://www.nfpa.org/search.asp?query...%3DSearch.y=10

This link will take you to a web page at the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). Download and read the report written by Marty Ahrens that is titled "Home Structure Fires." The main paper is 79 pages long and provides an excellent report on the causes and results of home fires. According to this report (and many other places that I found), the major causes of house fires are:

1. Cooking equipment (38% of fires/15% of deaths)
2. Heating Equipment (19%/24%)
3. Electrical Distribution & Lighting Equipment (6%/11%) See below
4. Intentional (5%/11%)
5. Candles (4%/6%) (How many times have you seen people ask about bringing candles onboard?)
6. Smoking Materials (4%/24%)
7. Playing with heat source (2%/5%)

If you read on, you will find that the description of what "Electrical Distribution & Lighting Equipment" means:

a. Fixed wiring; transformers or associated over current or disconnect equipment;
b. meters or meter boxes;
c. power switch gear or over current protection devices;
d. switched, receptacles or outlets;
e. cords and plugs, and;
f. lighting equipment.

Nowhere in this paper (or any of the many, many other places that I searched) are irons even mentioned. Oddly, curling irons are mentioned some places as a fire hazard (which I believe as many times as my wife has burned herself with one).

Other web pages of interest:

http://www.readersdigest.ca/specialf...es_3099_a.html

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/citizens/foc...ome_fires.shtm

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/residents/home/hfs.htm

Obviously none of the above references are directly related to cruise ship fires. However, I believe that they do prove the point that irons are not that much of a fire danger as compared to other possible sources. As noted by blueliner and Ron the most recent example of a major fire on a ship was caused by someone smoking.

My earlier comment about electrical system loading is true, and may be the real concern of the fire potential on a ship in regards to irons. Heavy loading of an electrical system will cause fires as written in the referenced report(s).

Again, I do not advocate bringing irons onboard, or smoking, or candles, or anything that has a potential for starting fires. The only thing I bring onboard is a nightlight, which I am positive will not overload the electrical system, cause any heat issues, and helps prevent me from falling overboard .
05/89 NCL, Seaward, 1990 Carnival, Topicale, 1991 Carnival, Festivale, 11/93 Wind Star, Wind Song, 01/95 Celebrity, Horizon, 01/96 Celebrity, Century, 01/00 Celebrity, Zenith, 01/01 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/02 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/03 Celebrity, Summit, 05/04 Princess, Diamond, 01/05 Celebrity, Galaxy, 01/07 Oceania, Regatta, 01/08 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 02/09 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 01/10 Celebrity, Solstice
Old November 1st, 2009, 04:40 PM
Admiral

To be honest, my fire department hasn't seen a structure fire caused by an iron or curling iron in a few years, that I know of. But over my whole career, they have caused quite a few house fires I have fought in my time. Actually irons are mentioned in the report a couple of times, in that the report makes mention that home fires caused by heating equipment and "Irons" have decreased greatly in the past few years because of the added technoloigy of automatic shut-offs being added to these devices. That is a good thing and tells me why we haven't had a house fire caused by an iron in a few years. I still don't believe any cruiseline is going to allow travel irons onboard anytime soon though.

There is some truth to your statement about the electrical draw of irons, although I believe modern cruise ships could more than handle the increased electrical demand of irons onboard (based on what I see on virtually every special I see on TV about a cruise ship and all the electrical power they claim to have). I don't believe the wiring in the individual cabins I have been in could really handle too many electrical draws at any one time. I have unplugged a camera or electric toothbrush in my cabin at times if I think we have too much plugged in.

Just a reminder to everyone, please change the batteries in your smoke detectors this weekend! Even if your smoke detector is hard wired into your home electricity sysytem, change the battery back up! When you change the time on your clocks twice a year, change your smoke detector batteries as well! Have a home evacuation plan, and practice it! Be safe!

Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old November 1st, 2009, 04:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks blueliner for your comments and suggestions.

Can I ask you a question about changing batteries in smoke detectors? Well, I guess I will....

All the smoke detectors in my house are "chained" together (if one alarms they all do) and they are powered both by AC and have batteries for backup. I have noticed that the 9 VDC batteries last for years before I start getting a low battery chirp alarm. I assume that is because AC power is primary & the battery is for backup only. Assuming what I just stated is really correct; is it safe to go for long periods of time before replacing the batteries? I image most newer homes have smoke detector systems like mine.
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:19 PM
Admiral

I can't or won't dispute all your stats as I'm not prone to investing so much time and energy to find out about whether an iron ever started a fire or not.
I think they do get hot, as I was ironing a pair of Levis the other day, dropped the iron and naturally it had to hit hot side down ( don't know how the stats would work out re/ the odds of dropping and iron and it hitting cold side down )--- Now I have a crispy imprint of an iron in the carpet but luckily it's in the closet.
Re/ the draw of electrical current, in the past few years people have more electronic appliances to carry with them that has to be recharged periodically, such as cameras, cell phones , computers, etc. so it's pretty common for people to take strips to plug into the outlet in the cabin and then have multiple outlets for charging all the above mentioned and apparently it's not made a dent in the amount of electric generated by the ship--or at least I've never seen the lights flicker or go dim.
I do think an Iron is an unsafe item to take on a cruise ship as they have to have heat to work, that heat is generated by electricity and electrical shorts do start fires.
The stats probably show that an iron has never, ever, ever started a fire on a ship and probably never would. But the point is , it is a hazard and why add one more hazard to the other hazards that already exist?

Speaking of ironing, I have to get up first thing in the a.m. and start ironing a couple long sleeve shirts as it seems that summer has now departed for some location other than my little part of the world and I need something besides short sleeves.
Happy sails, happy ironing, happy stating to all.
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
When is the last time that you read about an iron causing a house fire? Probably never...)
An hot iron may be left on standing on an ironing board in your home.... but a home doesn't move side to side and up and down, to initiate the iron falling over, with its hot surface landing on fabric or carpet.

It's much more possible on a moving ship...... so why anyone would want to additional safety hazarrds on a ship is beyond me.

Fires on cruise ships are very rare because of high safety standards and practices. But it's still one the most dreaded hazards at sea. There are no hydrants for the fire trucks to hook into. Oh wait, there are no fire trucks to call.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 2nd, 2009, 01:51 PM
Admiral

No matter what kind of smoke detector you have, it is best to replace the batteries twice a year. Whenever the time changes, change the batteries!

Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13