Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 31st, 2009, 04:34 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default best way to book a cruise

Regarding the price drops from RCI...... I have always used a travel agent and never booked online. Is it better to book online with RCI so it's easier to get a refund or credit if their price drops? Do a lot of you (my fellow cruisemates) book online instead of a TA? My TA never has given me a discount, credit or upgrade. She always has a reason (or excuse) as to why she can't do it. Even when I have a coupon from the C&A book, she's not thrilled about that either. I'm seriously thinking of booking online with RCI next cruise. What does everyone else think and/or do? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2009, 05:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Just my opinion, but I always book with a "good" cruise travel agent. May-be time to find a new one??

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 31st, 2009, 06:37 PM
Admiral

You need to find a new TA. A good TA will have no problem using your coupon or getting price reductions if possible.

However, not all TA's can offer gifts. I can only offer token gifts unless there is group space and their are gifts to go with the group. I just can't afford it after the agency takes their share.

I don't understand how some of the agencies especially on-line agencies can offer so much - I don't know where they get the cost from.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old October 31st, 2009, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Yep you need a new agent. My agent offers free insurance and an onboard credit and never a problem with coupons or price adjustments.

Good luck

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:13 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
Yep you need a new agent. My agent offers free insurance and an onboard credit and never a problem with coupons or price adjustments.

Good luck
I'm from NJ originally and my agent is in NJ. I'm either going to find a new one here in FL or book online from RCI. Thanks CQ.
Old November 1st, 2009, 12:57 PM
First Mate

We used to book with a TA but for our last four cruises I have booked myself online with RCL directly. Never had a problem doing it this way, it is real easy to get the price adjustments when the price goes down. I have always been able to have my questions answered by calling the crown and anchor number and it has been a very easy process to do by myself. We have two cruises currently booked now and they were both done online as well.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:40 AM
Passenger

Default TA or On Line

I will know after Monday if I will be finding a new TA or not. The Price has dropped over $400 since I booked and I am going to see if she will be the reduction for me. I had a coupon from the C&A and she didn't have a problem with that and told me to wait for my final payment so she could hear from them to make sure they honored it. She made copies just in case there was some problem. She didn't think there would be but just to be on the safe side she said. So we will see. I will let her know about everyone else getting the lower price and go from there if there is a problem. I learn so much from everyone here. Thanks so much!
Happy Cruising
Jeanne

Read and post cruise reviews
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Admiral

I would NEVER book a cruise without my TA, she allways gets us all the possible discounts, coupons and special deals.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old November 2nd, 2009, 01:12 PM
Passenger

Called TA and she said she called RC and there were no price deductions. I got on the web site told her what it was showing and it was less than what I was paying. She said she would look into it again and talk to someone about it. She said she would get me the discount if it were there. I see it there. She hasn't gotten back with me yet so I still don't know where I stand. I did get the credit for the coupon. She just got confirmation on that. Will give her a little more time and then call her back. I want the discount!
Happy Cruising!
Jeanne

Old November 2nd, 2009, 01:50 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranejwr
Called TA and she said she called RC and there were no price deductions. I got on the web site told her what it was showing and it was less than what I was paying. She said she would look into it again and talk to someone about it. She said she would get me the discount if it were there. I see it there. She hasn't gotten back with me yet so I still don't know where I stand. I did get the credit for the coupon. She just got confirmation on that. Will give her a little more time and then call her back. I want the discount!
Happy Cruising!
Jeanne
This is part of why I book myself online with Royal. I check all the time on our prices and on any good deals myself since I work at home and am on the computer all day. When I see the prices go down I make a simple phone call to ther Crown and Anchor desk, give them the reservation number and the price is changed right then and there, they will even email a confirmation if you want. No waiting around to see if someone else will have the time to call and if they call before the price changes again. It is just a nice peace of mind to know that I'm watching out for myself and not expecting someone else to do it for me. I'm sure there are some really good TA's out there that do watch out for there clients but I have seen how the prices change and how those price changes don't always last so I wanted to be in charge of the money I was saving myself.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Passenger

Default I Got it!

I got the reduction of over $400! That pays for the airfare. I am a happy camper 8) I will keep on looking to see if there are anymore price drops. This is wonderful!
Happy Cruising
Jeanne

Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: I Got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranejwr
I got the reduction of over $400! That pays for the airfare. I am a happy camper 8) I will keep on looking to see if there are anymore price drops. This is wonderful!
Happy Cruising
Jeanne

Good for you!! Keep checking for more price drops you never know.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:46 AM
Admiral

First the TA is no good but once she comes through I never see the words "good TA". (Not talking about this particular incident but people do that all the time.)

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old November 5th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Passenger

This TA is Good and she will get my business again. I think since I am a novice traveler, she is trying to get me ,1st the cheaper price but the the cabin I want and 2nd, she wants me to have the liberty to experience MTD because of the days @ sea and to be able to spend as much time in the ports that I want. I did this over the phone with her. The first cruise I sat down with her. The nextcruise I will sit down with her. I will know what I want and we both can get a better idea of what I need and the route I want to go. I do remember that I am not her only customer and I don't mind watching for a price drop on my own and letting her know. She did get me the drop but I had to tell her what the web site said. Her first response was "No I didn't Qualify" but luckly she did call back and I got it.
Jeanne