Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 3rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Oasis And The Big Blow

Below is a quote fron Richard Fain's blog. I guess if you have to be out sucking it up in a North Atlantic storm, the biggest cruise ship in the world is probably not a bad place to be.

"The one thing you can never count on, though, is the weather. It seems that we have managed to time our crossing perfectly to coincide with the worst of a north Atlantic winter storm. That storm has resulted in relative wind speeds of 60-70 mph (a hurricane starts at 74 mph). It has also resulted in significant wave heights of up to 30 feet (significant wave heights essentially means consistently over a period of time). Some individual waves reach even higher.

Capt. Bill is considering now what is the best course and speed for the ship to minimize the impact of the storm. I’m told that the ship is so stable that the crew can barely feel the storm. But on deck it is a different story and the storm is preventing us from doing the work on the outdoor decks that we had hoped including rehearsing in the AquaTheatre."

Sounds like she's handling it pretty well. Although I think I've actually swam in weather close to that. But it wasn't the best experience to be sure.
Sponsored Links