Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Exclamation Oasis - back home again; Please Ask ??s

I am back from Oasis and I wanted to start a new thread about the ship since the earlier one might take a little while to load.

This is where I left off...

Just to get a feel for the fun of this ship, take a look at this shot of the Boardwalk, looking back toward the ship. The glass view and openness overview is invigorating. The ship is an architectural marvel:

But there is more to it as well.

There is plenty of deck space for sunning, even with 6000 guests onboard. For one thing - there are so many balconies. But the top decks also have rows and rows of deck loungers, the entire length of the ship. There is a great miniature golf course up there, ping pong (in glass enclosed rooms so no wind). There are two flow riders and two of the biggest rock-climbing walls I have ever seen anywhere.

The zip line was working, but you had to sign up and the line was pretty long line, but you could still do it.

On our cruise none of the shows completely filled up. The reservation system seems to be simple to use - so use it. About 5 minutes before show time they start letting people in. I walked into a comedy show with no problem, and a skating show.

The AquaTheater shows were not yet ready on our cruise, and neither was Hairspray, so we didn't get to see either, but I will be back for a regular passenger cruise December 1st and I will be able to tell you then how things work. We did see a non-dress rehearsal of the AquaShow and it looks like a good show, no kidding, don't think "synchronized swimming."

The Royal Promenade is a wonderfully impressive place - so huge, with free pastries and coffee, free pizza etc. There is also shopping there and the famous cupcake emporium ($2.50 apiece). They were good cupcakes if you like such things. but they also have FREE donuts out on the Boardwalk and they are very tasty.

Crown and Anchor members will love the Concierge Lounge - it will well-placed, classy and has great views.

I did not get a chance to try some of the eateries I wanted because we did not have time, such as the SeaShack or 150 Central Park, but I will be trying them on our next voyage. I got to meet chef KeriAnn Van Raesfeld and she is a deflightful person. This will be the first cruise ship with an onboard executive chef in residence, and I cannot wait to try her 8-item tasting menu. remember - she wa sthe first American and first woman ever to be named "best young chef in the world."

We did eat the Solarium spa cuisine and it is excellent healthy food. You can eat vegetarian or even macrobiotic in there if you want to.

The dining room was surprisingly well run, even with only one room (three decks tall). Our passenger contingent was only about half capacity, from what I hear, but we had NO waits or service glitches. My duck had a crisp skin - just the way I like it. Impressive for a cruise ship. The lobster bisque was a bit too tomato and not enough lobster.

All of the staff was SO friendly. I have been on new ships before where you could see the staff was totally frustrated with the new system - even saying it was bad and didn't work well. Not on Oasis - the staff was as excited as we were as passengers. It is that kind of ship. Just so likable.

One area they really invigorated over the freedom-class was the deck 4 below the Royal Promenade. That now has the Jazz club and Comedy club, as well as a dance club and Studio B, the ice rink. People were down there and really milling around, as well as in the promenade. The dance ckub does NOT havethat hokey dungeon look like the Voyager class had.

The "neighborhood" concept really works great - you do feel like you can hang out in one area for awhile and then move on. There is no hurry to get anywhere all at once - except maybe dinner. But we hear that about 75% OF GUESTS OPT for anytime dining, so that should alleviate some of the rush.

Please visit my picture gallery here: Cruise Ship Pictures - CruiseMates Cruise Photos Gallery
to see more of the ship. I also have a previous gallery here:
http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/mem...st-cruise.html

You have to see this ship to really appreciate - but even you doubters - get ready for people coming back and saying "I never expected it to be so cool."

Please feel free to ask me questions here...
Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Park Cafe & Seafood Shack

One of the eateries i wamnted to tell you about is called "Park Cafe" - I think this will become one of the most popula r eateries on the ship. They make fresh deli sandwiches to order, slicing and toasting them for you when ordered. Like many eateries, you order first, are given a number and them you sit down. They deliver the food to you when it is ready - the only difference is that there is no fee for this - its all included in the cruise fare.

Another eatery I did not get to try but which looks good is the Seafood Shack, on the Boardwalk across from Johnny Rockets. I am not sure of the price but I herad possibly $8.00. You can get fish & chips, or grilled mahi mahi, shrimp dishes and a ver tempting banana split.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
One of the eateries i wamnted to tell you about is called "Park Cafe" - I think this will become one of the most popula r eateries on the ship. They make fresh deli sandwiches to order, slicing and toasting them for you when ordered. Like many eateries, you order first, are given a number and them you sit down. They deliver the food to you when it is ready - the only difference is that there is no fee for this - its all included in the cruise fare.

Another eatery I did not get to try but which looks good is the Seafood Shack, on the Boardwalk across from Johnny Rockets. I am not sure of the price but I herad possibly $8.00. You can get fish & chips, or grilled mahi mahi, shrimp dishes and a ver tempting banana split.
Those are 2 eateries that really appeal to me.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Me, too. By the way, I got to meet KeriAnn Van Raesfeld and she is very nice. Only 23 and the first American and first female to win "world's best young chef."

And here she is, holding the book she autographed for me 8)
Old November 23rd, 2009, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Welcome back Paul...

I have to agree with you, the sandwich cafe you told us about sounds like a real winner, I know I'd go there, especially with no extra fee...

How were the regular balcony cabins, pretty much the same as Freedom class??

The water show sounds wonderful.....

Hey, how about a CM cruise on Oasis some time??

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 23rd, 2009, 05:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Paul,

I do see that the Oasis is "the" destination and it would take two or three seven day cruises to truly enjoy everything there is. The ports would have to be secondary. It might actually be a good thing for those who are "burnt out" on the Caribbean. They could have an even better chance to enjoy the ship while others are onshore.

I guess I'm hungry now because I really am interested in the restaurants and other eating venues. The duck skin comment really made me hungry.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 23rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am dreaming about KeriAnn's cooking in 150 Central Park - named "best young chef in the world" and she will actually be working onboard.

Donna - the balconies are actually surprisingly large because of the way the railings bow out in the center - that is added space, not less space on the edges. They are deep.

My thought was that is anyone feels there isn't enough deck space outside it is because they are not counting the balconies, you can easily sit out there. They don't have lounge chairs, but they would fit if they decided to put one out there.

Here is another thing - like Solstice, the room doors open out into the hallways, not into the rooms. The cabins are nice & spacious, but a little like Solstice the bed can get in the way of the closet, but the cabins vary (like Solstice) with some having the couch by the balcony and some having the bed by the balcony.

The showers also have a "leg-shaving" bar - just like solstice. They have big screen TVs and refrigerators. There are two US plugs and 1 Euro, and they are UNDER the desk, not above it like on many ships.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 06:31 PM
First Mate

Can you tell us what food is NOT free?
Old November 23rd, 2009, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Welcome home Paul, your enthusiasm is contageous, believe me! So many different and new areas created on this ship, make it a cruise to look forward to. I agree with Donna, let's get a Cruisemate Crusie together and book it Oh, don't unpack

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 23rd, 2009, 07:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am already talking to Nancy about making a CM cruise. She got seated right next to CEO Richard Fain at dinner last night - said she could believe it.

I will give you a COMPLETE scoop on restaurant costs soon, I just woke up from a nap (whew, I crashed!).
Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Royal Promenade:
Sorrento's Pizza, lunch & dinner free, bfast-closed
Cafe Promenade: free m bfest, lunch, dinner
Cupcake Cupboard: a la carte pricing always
Mondo Coffe Bar: always free

Central Park:
Chops Grille: $25 dinner only
150 Central Park: $35 dinner only
Giovanni's table: bfst: closed, $10 lunch $15 dinner
Park Cafe: free bfst, lunch, dinner
Vintages: no bfst, a la carte lunch & dinner

Boardwalk:
Johnny Rockets: free bfast, $4.95 lunch or dinner
Seafood Shack: no bfast, $8.95 lunch 0r finner ($4.45 kids)
Donut Shop: free donuts all dat
Boardwalk Bar: fast food free bfast, lunch & dinner
Ice Cream Parlor: no bfast, a la carte lunch & dinner

Pool & Sports Zone:
Solarium Bistro: bfast & Lunch free, $20 dinner (vegetarian, lo cal)
Izumi Asian Cuisine: no bfst or lunch, dinner a la carte
Wipe Out Cafe (burgers & dogs): bfst, lunch & dinner free

Around the Ship:
Opus main dining room: decks 3 & 4: free bfet, lunch, dinner
Opus main dining room: deck 5: "my times dining" bfast, lunch, dinner all free
Concierge Lounge: bfst, lunch, dinner all free
Chef's Table: $75 pp wih wine pairing, dinner only
Windjammer: free bfst, lunch & dinner
Room Service: free bfst, lunch, dinner. ($3.95 total midnight to 4:30 am)
Vitality Cafe: (healthy snacks) free brfast, lunch & dinner
Old November 24th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the great pictures. I realize that a camera simply can't capture the full scope of something so large. I will get my chance to experience it in April! Wow, so many dining options to choose from.

Since your next cruise will have a full contingent of passengers, I'm especially interested in how long it takes for embarkation/debarkation.

Have you repacked?
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old November 24th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes - we leave again on Monday to sail on December 1st, and now that she has seen the ship she is also totally excited about going to see it in person.

It will just be a four-night cruise, but I have all my reservations for the the shows and dining in 150 Central Park. Hairspray should be online by then and hopefully the AquaTheater show as well.

I would take a 7-day cruise again if I could.
Old November 24th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yeah Paul, I have to echo that the crispy skin comment has me getting pretty hungry right about now. Then again, could be i spent 8 hours on airplanes today with only a turkey sandwich (non-crispy skin). But the upside is we're leaving Sunday for FLL and then 11 days on Oasis so hopefully that duck will make an appearance.

Last edited by chipmeister; November 24th, 2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old November 24th, 2009, 10:56 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the heads up on dinning options. The more choice the more money they are attempting to bring in the door. Is Chef's Table ($75pp) a separate dining place or is it a table inside the main dining room?

When you say a la carte; you mean there is a full menu of items and you buy each item individually? I noticed there was no Ben & Jerry's, is that true? Did you still see the free soft serve ice cream (Sprinkles) on the pool deck? Seems like a bit more of the nickle and diming.

What other "extra" charges have they added? For example, are any of the onboard activities now associated with a cost - for example the Zip Line?
Old November 25th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on dinning options. The more choice the more money they are attempting to bring in the door. Is Chef's Table ($75pp) a separate dining place or is it a table inside the main dining room?

When you say a la carte; you mean there is a full menu of items and you buy each item individually? I noticed there was no Ben & Jerry's, is that true? Did you still see the free soft serve ice cream (Sprinkles) on the pool deck? Seems like a bit more of the nickle and diming.

What other "extra" charges have they added? For example, are any of the onboard activities now associated with a cost - for example the Zip Line?
Now, I have a friend who thinks like you - that the more choices there are the more it is "nickel & diming." I see your point in some cases, but I have now read a couple of article about Oasis that use that phrase and i havw to say I just don't agree with it. Nickel & Diming implies you don't have any choice - but in this case there is nothing you have to pay for - if you don't want it you don't buy it, there are always free options. One example, they have tasty cupcakes for $2.50, or you can any of a number of tasty donuts for free.

Anyway - this IS an ice cream parlor but it is not called Ben & Jerries. It is just called "Ice Cream Parloer" and they don't identify the brand. When it says "a la carte" pricing it means all the menu items are different prices so I can't list them all (don't have them).

NO - there is NO charge for any of the activities like zip-lining, rock climbing, flow-riding minigolfing, etc. Those are all included. The shows are also free and in New York, Hairspray would be $90/ticket, and in Las Vegas the AquaShoq would also be $90/ticket (it is produced by th same guy who did two famous Vegas water shows).

You are going to be hearing a lot more about these water shows, because they have underwater cameras to see what the actors do below - shown on big screens on either side of the stage. It is cool. I Vegas i saw "Le Reve" and we had VIP seats that cost $150 apiece just to get the underwater camera views.

That is the opposite of nickel and diming. I don't take any offense at you using that statement, a lot of people do, but the fact is that if they didn't fdo it that way you would have those options and the ship would be more boring.
Old November 25th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Can you please explain how the reservations system works? You do that before leaving or on ship ?
1 NCL
1 American Hawaii
1 Celebrity
Holland America 1/15/11
Old November 25th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The res system can be used before you board the ship. If you are booked you go to royalcaribbean.com and log in with your booking number. You will then see a whole section about your cruise where you can book your reservations:

They giveyou all the showtimes for each show and ask you to pick one (only). They do the same with restaurants (book as many as you want), and shore excursions.

If there is a charge for what you are booking, they will ask for and charge your credit card the same day - so be aware of that. There is no charge for shows even though you can reserve them, but there are charges for some restaurants and most tours.

You can also make reservations onboard. I saw a LONG queue on our day at sea, and I guess they didnt know you can also makde reservations on your in-room television.

But the sooner you make your reservations the better off you are. I made mine the same day they opened the system. They send you a nice reminder email everytime you book something, so you have your complete schedule ready before you go.