CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Oasis: Problems? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/369659-oasis-problems.html)

birdsNworms November 25th, 2009 06:39 PM

Oasis: Problems?

To be sure, the Oasis of the Seas is something to behold. It is grand, and it stands on its own as an architectural and maritime achievement. But, amid all the pre-inaugural buzz out there, I feel there exists a great dearth of real -- read that to mean not PR scripted and stuffed down the throat -- news about the ship and the actual circumstances surrounding the launch and viability of the product RCCL claims is a 'game changer'.

Apparently, the product the vast majority of non-paying travel agents and media assembled for these junkets cruises prior to the December 1 inaugural saw was decidedly different from the one I was introduced to.

Not that I was not wowed. I was. Anyone should be, even the harshest critic. It is more that it seems the media, mostly consisting of bloggers and cruiseline oriented domain owners sprinkled with a small group of travel and business writers, were and are concerned with gaining future invitations to such events and perhaps -- in the desperate economic environment -- are even looking to RCCL as a future employer with their overtly effusive and criticism-lite coverage.

The fact that Royal Caribbean elected to charge for cupcakes and coffee ($8.27+ for a quad espresso) but to allow alcohol to flow free and liberally may also indicate something of a fix.

I was one of the first people to board Oasis after the ship was brought back to Port Everglades following the GMA broadcast on Friday, November 20. Before boarding, there were some pretty obvious hitches no one appears to have reported. Curiously so. (One, involving what appeared to be media as they had some expensive cameras in tow and I noted Kerry Sanders of NBC in the mix, was most troubling...but I am waiting on a friend at the CBS station in Miami to confirm what I saw and provide more specifics.)

Like, for example, parking. Upon arrival, in spite of most of the previous night's guests having been shuttled from the airport or local hotels, there was not a single space available in the one, remarkably small (given that this is the largest ship of its kind afloat) parking lot provided for Oasis guests. Given there were only 1,000 guests on this 'private concert with Rihanna' overnighter, and the ship holds 5400-6296 paying guests, this is a big hitch. Any overflow would be to parking, if available, shared with other cruiselines and a convention center. And involve transportation from one part of the port to the actual terminal.

Rimmed with curved black-spiked ironwork, it is rather unwelcoming and perplexing. Port Everglades is a secure facility -- no ID, not on a manifest, no entry. Inside, it is even less worthy of comment. Clearly, the budget for the required multilevel parking structure was nixed along with any creative whimsy for the terminal itself.

Boarding the ship, the first thing that hits you, in a nod to Arthur Frommer's criticism, is that you have no sense you have boarded a ship. To the contrary, you really do feel as though you've just left your car in the lot at your local mall and strolled -- albeit following a stressful two hour or so wait -- in.

This is a thread throughout the structure, as even the highly promoted loft suites feel entirely removed from the ocean. Inside, it seems more like being in a condo tower than being on a ship. And the most expensive cabin on the Oasis, flanked by these other suites, has a view of...the basketball courts. That 843 sq ft balcony is hardly a selling point given this entire lack of privacy and noisy element ringed with surveillance cameras. The ocean is so far away on the horizon it is a strain to even catch a glimpse beyond the uproar on the sports courts below.

Also, while very nice, it is far, far from being in the lead of what this segment of the market has available. And the loft concept leaves much to be desired -- namely, some privacy as the bedroom is open to below (no glass, not even a curtain to pull). According to the PR folks, it was designed with two couples in mind. When pushed, they insist it will only be sold to a maximum of four even when capacity is listed at six. Although, another common theme is that many cabins on the Oasis are capped at two passengers when on any other ship they would be quads or more.

Perhaps this is a nod to some real crowd control issues the line has already confronted in the design phase.

Which is going to be a substantial issue. Many 'reviewers' have noted that with "3200 agents and media" aboard the ship did not feel crowded 'but dining options were still limited' by that capacity.

Well folks, the Oasis of the Seas has yet to ever see 3200 guests.That number was floated by the PR staff to give the invited agents and others the idea they could envision the ship adequately providing a premium product at capacity. After all, double the number onboard on November 20 and you've overshot capacity. On November 20-22, there was plenty of available space.

That is because every pre-inaugural cruise was intentionally capped at approximately 1000 invitees plus their guests and crew. Something only lower level crew members, think cabin attendants, were reluctantly offering to those who queried by way of cabin assignments/occupancy. A good, reliable indicator. Add in as many stowaways as you want, and you are still way short of the actual capacity required for RCCL's revenue modeling to work.

Having been on the ship for this time, that is a troubling indicator. It is also vexing that we initially missed the entire gym/spa area because in the ship's "Live the Oasis" tour book it was somehow omitted. (The reports about this area are dead-on. It is a sad statement when such an expensive ship has a facility so sterile, so crew-like to present to the guest...And watch-out for that glass staircase in the spa. Seriously.)

Cont.

birdsNworms November 25th, 2009 06:41 PM

Then, you have the entertainment issue. Oasis is debuting a true, Broadway show in Hairspray. Did I miss this? No one has talked about the entertainment because it was largely absent on this 'showcase' cruise. IF you saw the two signature shows RCCL is promoting for this ship or the one in the AquaTheater, please let us know about them as entertainment is a pretty essential part of the cruise experience.

On Oasis, it was largely AWOL. Save for the skating show, a holdover from the Voyager and Freedom classes. Which Tom Scallen and Willy Bietak did a great job on given the limitations. But it is hardly new or can it be cited as an innovation -- that was ten years ago RCCL.

Even boarding the ship and walking around, there was an entire lack of music/entertainment beyond the physical diversions built into the ship -- think FlowRider, Zipline, Merry-Go-Round, etc. Sure, "Central Park" -- like the entire ship -- is impressive, but...well, every time I walked through it I saw glasses and beer bottles in the planters and heard agents (mind you, this was a free cruise) rumbling about how off the price-points were for their market. Bottom-line, it takes more than what was being presented.

Of which, I must comment that it was crazy to hear RCCL's PR folks pushing the add-ons considering the already exceptionally high buy-in price on the Oasis and the current economy. One would think that common sense would have had them telling these agents of all the many things that Royal Caribbean decided to include in that cost.

Internet, however, is another story, contrary to some reports here and on other websites. There are, indeed, two smallish Internet facilities that are part of the design [not there for press only] on decks 7 and 9 forward plus various clusters in the conference areas, teen area, and others. In addition to the in-room set-up and WiFi, there is enough when coupled with the obvious belief the target consumer of this product will travel with his/her/their own laptop. No revenue loss there.

I know many of the cruiseline's top executives and their PR staff have embraced the idea of this ship being a "resort at sea". Likening it to a family-friendly Las Vegas or even a floating Walt Disney World. Of course, this begs the obvious question: if you are looking for a Las Vegas or a WDW, why not simply go there and avoid the potential problems this new market -- first time cruisers -- required by Oasis might well encounter?

For those who want to be at sea, and want to know they are afloat, there are opportunities for this. The solarium for one is worth mentioning as is the small but stunning Viking Crown Lounge. If you want to feel like you are Jack's "king of the world", this ship will not disappoint.

That said, what is clear is that you actually have to search out these locations as otherwise it is difficult to know you are anywhere but at a very pricey resort on land with many, many add-on costs. And to have to search out locations to feel as though you are on a ship is, by any reasonable evaluation, a substantial failure in the product.

It has been reported, as stoked by RCCL itself, that you will pay a 144% premium to book the Oasis right now. If that were only the case. The truth: RCCL is demanding a quixotic 300%-plus cost factor over its own Freedom Class for similar sailing dates.

Now I certainly agree this ship should command a premium over its competitors, but that moves beyond such a thing. By any interpretation, it is gouging. If you include the competition other lines present, the premium jumps to over 400%. Astounding.

Again though, this is one impressive ship. One impressive feat. But can it float?

The ship may not be an evolution to a maturing market, or a revolutionary twist on that market. The Oasis -- and the Allure -- may as one reporter noted, and RCCL's PR lackeys stunningly linked to, be dinosaurs of an arrogant era where bigger is better and damn the consequences.

I just wonder, after being on a ship where no one was paying and the booze was flowing more than the FlowRiders, if it is viable...? Or, when all the buzz quiets after the christening on November 30, it will be only a matter of time before the government of Finland or a savvy investor takes ownership for pennies on the dollar?

That would be sad. But, seeing the poor show RCCL put on in reality and not as disseminated by those who wrote with any eye toward future invites and/or employment, I think heads should roll over this one.

Paul Motter November 25th, 2009 07:43 PM

As one of the "paid mouthpieces" of the cruise lines, in other words a cruise reporter, I will answer some of your claims the best I can.

For the most part, I think you are wrong, or exagerating terribly, you are promoting FUD when none actually exists (Fear, uncertainty and doubt).

Just to be clear - so I wil not be fooled, I am also a fully paid customer on the Dec 1st cruise - the first revenue cruise. So my opinion as I have so far will be updated after that cruise as a fully paying customer:

point 1: parking. I also heard the same thing, so I fear you are right. By the same toke, I heard it from one person who happens to live in Miami and also be a cruise reporter. No one else I knew on the ship drove there, so while it may be a problem, it wont be for the vast majority of the guests. Fain predicts 25% of the guests will be foreign.

point 2: $$8.27 for a quad espresso, forgive me, but do you mean FOUR shots of espresso? If so, at just over $2.06 per cup, that really isn't so bad.

point 3: when you board you are in the Royal Promenade and there are no ocean views, but that has no bearing on the overall 7-day experience. I saw plenty of ocean on my 2-day cruise, from the Boardwalk, from the many ocean-view balcony cabins which are actually priced lower than the inward facing balconies, from the dining room and from the massive sports deck.

point 4: 843 sq ft is a HUGE balcony, and I dont know how much privacy you need on a balcony, but I assume that it is not much different from any other ship, they are one atop the other, not tiered as on Princess or Celebrity.

point 5: The lofts (no comment, I dont know about this issue, but if it is terrible, I assume they will buy drapes)

point 6: We were told there were 3200 onboard. There were CERTAINLY far more than 1000 as you claim. It seemed fairly full to me. but the top decks, where most people will certainly spend most of a 7-day vacation, were completely empty because we did not go south and it was only one full day. I think you are just plain wrong here - there were at least 3200 guests on my cruise if not more, and there is plenty of room for all of them. See mt attched pic of the sun deck.
http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/g...5229/84848.jpg

point 7: I also missed the gym/spa area - not sure why, no comment there.

point 8: Entertainment. I saw the ice show, it was of the same excellent quality as on the Freedom ships. I also watched a non-dress rehearsal of the AquaTheater show and considering the experience of the director and the talented cast I saw, I predict a VERY successful show, it probably will be the most talked about show on the ship. I have a partial video at YouTube in the CruiseMates section. The version of Hairspary is fully licensed (not adapted for ships) and runs nearly the same lemgth and same size cast as the Broadway hit. You have no reason to review something you haven't seen yet, but I will let you know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Obmae7aEHI <-- video of AquaTheater show

point 9: Yes, it is a very high buy-in price, about 130% premium. And the ship is selling, as is Solstice and other high-end ships. Ships sell for what they are worth, I see no problem with the price points if RCL can get it. The price will drop gradually, my guess is until Allure comes out, then it will stabilize. But the price is now actually going up from what I see - that's success.

point 10: Internet access - You are correct here: it was a challenge to find the Internet cafe, but they do have end to end wifi which worked perfectly in my stateroom and other areas. I do recommend bringing a laptop unless of course there are things we dont know, such as perhaps the press room is the future internet cafe?

In any case - I think you have a few points, but in the overall scheme I think you are making mountans out of molehills. The parking is a problem, the web cafe may be too small, they may need curtains in the lofts, but NONE of those things are insurmountable.

On the other hand, you did not mention the beautiful FREE waterpark for kids, the amazing rock climbing walls, the three FREE shows plus comedy and jazz clubs (wherethere was entertainment onboard, and pretty good I would say), the TWO flo-riders (more per person than other RCL ships), the free mini-golf and carousal where there was no waiting, and that out of 24 eateries roughly half have no cover charge, so the dining room should not be overly crowded.

The ship WOWED most people including me, but as I said, I will let you know what I really think after my fully paid-for cruise next week.

Thanks for your input.:)

kvanriper November 26th, 2009 02:25 AM

There are a lot of firsts on the Oasis.

The extra charges seem over the top.

Charging for a cupcake is ridiculous.

The first time I have heard of a charge for a buffet $20.

The first time RCI is charging extra if you want a second appetizer.

From reading first reports of the windjammer crowds, if it was that crowded when the ship is half full, what is it going to be like when full?

Knowing RCI they will continue to keep the dining room closed on port days even though many will probably not get off the ship and will result in the windjammer being completly overrun.

I would still love to be able to go on the Oasis once, but not with the extra charges RCI has now.

felix_the_cat November 26th, 2009 07:08 AM

Which buffet is being charged $20?

When making a list of the pros and cons cupcake charges goes under the cons for sure.

Lack of a decent internet cafe is another con. Not all people carry a puter with them not even 50%.

If there are lineups when the ship is at 50 to 60% not a good omen.

Parking is a huge issue and it's not sounding very good. I have clients I just heard from. They drove down from Canada because she doe not like to fly. The normally leave their car at the port (btw they are not sailing on the Oasis - just out of Port Everglades). They had to leave their car at the hotel because - 1: no space and 2) they've put the price of parking at the port up 50%.

I watched the water show rehersal on your tape - big pro there. Question about that very deep pool. Is it roped or fenced off when not in use?

I know there are 2 flowriders etc etc but I'm too old for that stuff. Besides that's not new - just bigger.

Where does one have to pay for a second appetizer?

I too would like to at least take a tour of this beast. Whether or not I want to sail on her is still up to debate. DH and I have talked about this back and forth for months now and it's been an on-again off-again decision.

I'm still waiting for a realistic report on embarking and disembarking - and all I mean by that is when there are at least 4500 paying customers on board.

DiamondMember November 26th, 2009 08:30 AM

Come on folks, I highly doubt the cruise line is charging for a buffet or a second appitizer in the dinning room. Honestly, the ship hasn't even had it's first real paying customer cruise; I will hold my comments for what they do on the first revenue generating cruise to determine the true cost of "extras".

And on the topic of cupcakes -- While a cupcake seems like a small item to charge for, just don't buy them. This same discussion occurred on the Freedom class when they put a Ben & Jerry's onboard; I've been on more than 30+ Royal Caribbean cruises and never purchased any Ben & Jerry's, so $2.50 for a cupcake - who cares.

felix_the_cat November 26th, 2009 08:43 AM

It is all part of the nickle and dime to death that RCL is doing and that does make a difference. I have been been on slightly less cruises with RCL then you and quite frankly, I'm getting tired of this.

You're right, we do have to wait until the first couple of cruises with real paying customers return and hear the truth. What we are hearing now are preaching from the converted.

This weekend there are a large number of TA's from our company going to be onboard. Of those 2 will be from our office - the owner and one other. When they return I expect to hear glowing reports and therein lays the problem. I want to hear real reports from real cruisers, not the converted.

So far, I've heard both - but ..................stop the extra charges for so many things. I have eaten Ben & Jerry's ice cream and I've paid for it. Besides - it isn't the cupcake itself, it's the fact that RCL's hand is in your pocket constantly.

Paul Motter November 26th, 2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvanriper (Post 1259892)
There are a lot of firsts on the Oasis.
The extra charges seem over the top. Charging for a cupcake is ridiculous.

Then don't buy one. Have a donut instead. But consider this, because it is only logical, if you went to a restaurant or a grocery store would you say "charging for a cupcake is ridiculous?" No. RCL wouldn't have them in a special little shop with unusual flavor combinations if they couldn't make a little extra money on them - but you are not required to buy one. Would you rather have a free cupcake and your cruise fare go up by $2.50?

Quote:

The first time I have heard of a charge for a buffet $20.
NO, the Solarium Bistro is a buffet for breakfast and lunch - no charge. At night it becomes a full service "health-food" restaurant with a $20 charge.

Quote:

The first time RCI is charging extra if you want a second appetizer.
I know nothing about this. Never heard it before.

Quote:

From reading first reports of the windjammer crowds, if it was that crowded when the ship is half full, what is it going to be like when full?
I did not find it to be full at all. I found a seat everytime, plus, as I said no one was sitting outside because it was cool out.

Quote:

Knowing RCI they will continue to keep the dining room closed on port days even though many will probably not get off the ship and will result in the windjammer being completly overrun.
I guess we will see, I'll let you know after my Dec. 1 cruise

Quote:

I would still love to be able to go on the Oasis once, but not with the extra charges RCI has now.
By the same token, you have never seen a ship with so many FREE things either. There is a tremendous amount of wonderful free food on Oasis, the best I have ever had on an RCL ship. The Park Cafe is a wonder - no charges, for example. No one is making you buy anything onboard and there are plenty of choices.

thecruisequeen November 26th, 2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdsNworms (Post 1259857)
Even boarding the ship and walking around, there was an entire lack of music/entertainment beyond the physical diversions built into the ship -- think FlowRider, Zipline, Merry-Go-Round, etc. Sure, "Central Park" -- like the entire ship -- is impressive, but...well, every time I walked through it I saw glasses and beer bottles in the planters and heard agents (mind you, this was a free cruise) rumbling about how off the price-points were for their market. Bottom-line, it takes more than what was being presented.

I know many of the cruiseline's top executives and their PR staff have embraced the idea of this ship being a "resort at sea". Likening it to a family-friendly Las Vegas or even a floating Walt Disney World. Of course, this begs the obvious question: if you are looking for a Las Vegas or a WDW, why not simply go there and avoid the potential problems this new market -- first time cruisers -- required by Oasis might well encounter?

From the youtube videos I'm seeing there seems to be alot of music and entertainment on this ship. Music and dancing options galore. Not to mention the boardwalk area will have music and family activities each night even the cast of Hairspray are out there entertaining the boardwalk.

Las Vegas is not Family friendly anymore it was some years ago buy did away with it. It is back to being an Adult vacation spot. Cruising has given Disney a run for it's money. There are families that prefer to cruise over Disney. Cruising gives families both family time together and adult time. Many teens are over the mouse with big ears and prefer cruising.

As for "nickel and diming" I don't see it. Someone will have to explain it to me please. My food is still free. My drinks I'm paying for (as always). My activities are still free. Excursions I'm paying for (as always).
You don't have to buy a cupcake you can get a donut which is free. You can have ice cream at the pool which is free.
Nobody has a gun to my head forcing me to buy anything.
My Seapass total is a result of things I wanted to buy of my own free will and not Royal nick and diming.

Spoke to my agent and she was very impressed with Oasis. She was on the Rihanna cruise. Her only compliant to me was that Rihanna's performance was only 30 minutes. :p:rolleyes:

I will be onboard shortly so I will see for myself.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!:twisted::D

Paul Motter November 26th, 2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix_the_cat (Post 1259910)
Which buffet is being charged $20?

Parking is a huge issue and it's not sounding very good. I have clients I just heard from. They drove down from Canada because she doe not like to fly. The normally leave their car at the port (btw they are not sailing on the Oasis - just out of Port Everglades). They had to leave their car at the hotel because - 1: no space and 2) they've put the price of parking at the port up 50%.

I watched the water show rehersal on your tape - big pro there. Question about that very deep pool. Is it roped or fenced off when not in use?

I like your more rational comments about "the beast," Felix. If you think that many people will be parking then I will concede it is problem. I personally didn't think that many locals would be going.

Very glad you liked the water show. I think it shows a lot of promise and I have personally seen the Vegas works this same director/producer has done and they are amazing, especially with the underwater cameras.

I know the idea of charing for the buffet was a mis-information. I have the same feeling about a second appetizer since the menus are now reduced to just three sections, where they uased to have an intermediary soup course.

There are SO many free places to eat onboard, from the Wipeout cafe, to the Park Cafe, to the Sorrento's Pizzaria and Cafe Promenade in Royal Promenade, to the Solarium Bistro and Vitality Cafe for health food - all free that in adddition to the Windjammer I am sure everyone will get to eat.

I also agree the Internet cafe size is a problem, now, there were actually two rooms (1 on deck 7 and one on deck 9), but each with only about six workstations. That is not enough. They may have to do something about this in the future. I agree. There is also a large business and conference center we did not see that they could use if they gad to - or maybe they plan to rent out laptops, I don't know.

Paul Motter November 26th, 2009 10:54 AM

Cruise Queen - you are absolutely right - Vegas is NOT a family friendly spot anymore. They tried that and it didn't work for them, so it is all adult now, as in "what happens here stays here."

Vegas is also not even remotely all-inclusive. People complaining about $2.50 for a cupcake. In Vegas you will pay $5 for a piece of pastry with no free options at all. And if you want breakfast room service in Vegas - expect to pay $20.

I understand if Oasis is not your thing in terms of why you like to cruise - but then don't take it. There are still plenty of ships that don't offer any extras that carry a charge. Go on your boring ship, sit on your deck chair under a wooly blanket and have the steward bring you a cup of boullion, you and Arthur Frommer can while away the hours just watching the sea go by... ;)

Donna November 26th, 2009 11:14 AM

The water show looks awesome, kind of hard to beat that. As for the "extra" charges, like Paul said, you don't have to buy one...There are so many things that are included, food wise, unless you really have to have something, there is no need to spend the extras.

It is always nice to have a meal at Chops, once during the week, I've found that well worth the extra moneys.

Royalchump November 26th, 2009 11:21 AM

I will be interested in the comments of the paying customers when the ship is full. I understand that the ship is not booking full so it may not be awhile. You really don't know how the follow is going to be.

It seems like you have to plan your cruise, if you want to see a show you have to make reservations, if you want to take the zip line you have to sign up.

The ports are all ports I have been to so this is not a destination cruise.

I will go on this ship one day, but will wait until I hear from paying cruisers.

I went on the Solstice ( they had a paid 2 day preview cruise)- half the cruise were TA - I found the TA had glowing reviews while the paying cruisers had different views.

Master Chief November 26th, 2009 05:15 PM

Paul,

The parking problem will have a dramatic impact on ALL vessels embarking in Port Lauderdale not just Oasis. And contrary to popular opinion a large number of cruisers are from Florida and they do drive to the port. But we should wait and see what develops when a fully booked cruise of regular cruisers (not TAs and such) as to what the real impact will be.

skymaster November 26th, 2009 05:41 PM

Chief, I think you're absolutely correct about the parking problem. We always drive to the port, and have always left the auto at the port while cruising. It appears that if Oasis takes all the parking spaces, we'll have to find alternative "off site" parking, or not sail out of Port Everglades anymore. I guess we could drive down a day early, and stay at a hotel that offers parking, and shuttle to the port. That will, of course, add to the total cost of a cruise. :roll:

"SKY"

Master Chief November 26th, 2009 10:46 PM

Sky,

Perhaps parking at the airport and using a taxi to the piers may work. Also there are a couple of off-site spots that may work. But again, let's give it a chance to maybe work itself out.

felix_the_cat November 27th, 2009 09:15 AM

My clients, who are now sailing on the Ruby from Port Everglades have informed me that the port has put the charge for parking there up from $10 to $15 per day. That's a 50% increase and I believe that is just an opportunity to rip people off.

They have left their vehicle at the hotel they stayed at at $10 per night and the hotel picks them up from the ship.

There will be a lot of people driving in for the Oasis. Air fare from Canada is just getting out of sight and for those who are not close enough to border towns the cost is getting prohibitive when coupled with a cruise.

If they haven't added more parking of course it's going to be an issue...a big one.

nordicus November 28th, 2009 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix_the_cat (Post 1260047)
My clients, who are now sailing on the Ruby from Port Everglades have informed me that the port has put the charge for parking there up from $10 to $15 per day. That's a 50% increase and I believe that is just an opportunity to rip people off.

$15 a day is the same price as it was this past January. Same price as Port Canaveral and Jacksonville. Port of Miami is $20 a Day and Tampa $12 a day. If the price has been the same for amost a year now then how is that gouging people??

felix_the_cat November 28th, 2009 10:51 AM

I don't drive down so I take my clients word for it. She has driven down for the last 5 years and this is what she tells me. I do however believe $15 a day is very high - especially when you can get a package at a hotel that charges $10 a day gives transport to and from.

She hasn't been charged that much on prior years so yes, a 50% increase is gouging no matter when they instituted it.

birdsNworms November 29th, 2009 03:05 PM

Paul, I appreciate your candor and your sincere effort to present the product as you see it. I too, as my review states, was wowed by the ship and would not discourage anyone who is booked from doing anything but counting down the days.

She will impress you.

I would only state that the Freedom Class is available in December for similar itineraries at $399 for an inside and $1249 for a suite. Oasis does not seem to be responding to supply and demand as its least expensive inside starts at $1249.

And, yes, the amount you pay will influence your experience. So, as you comment about the December 1 sailing, I do wonder what your fare is. Why? Because if you are traveling on a fare lower than $2000-plus for the cabin on this four nighter, you are not paying the 'real' price RCCL is demanding for the product.

Combine that with wide-open inventory, and I suspect this will not be anything close to a true experience for the typical consumer of the Oasis product. Nevertheless, I await your comments on your return and hope you enjoy your time on the Oasis once more.

Royalchump November 29th, 2009 03:40 PM

We are looking for a May cruise, I won't pay double to cruise on the Oasis, will cruise this ship when prices come down. I am not impressed with the extra costs either.

MrPete November 29th, 2009 06:26 PM

Enjoying all the different POV's so far. Can't wait till the average cruiser gets a shot, at "full" capacity.

Paul Motter November 29th, 2009 07:42 PM

Hi Birds&Worms...

Quote:

So, as you comment about the December 1 sailing, I do wonder what your fare is. Why? Because if you are traveling on a fare lower than $2000-plus for the cabin on this four nighter, you are not paying the 'real' price RCCL is demanding for the product.
Sorry, but I don' always follow your logic. I booked this cruise like any other passenger back in early October. My travel agent is Nancy Bogert, one of the top-producing agents for CruisePlanners, a large consortium of cruise agents. She is a well-known cruise agent and was invited to dine with Richard Fain on the two-day media cruise i was on. Even I have never been invited to Richard Fains table for anything.

I paid $965.98 per person, including taxes & fees for a minimum balcony guarantee. That was what Nancy had on offer at the time I made the booking. As it turns out, I just found out we have a sea-view balcony on deck 12 - so I guess i will be seeing the ocean a fair amount on my cruise.

Now, if this price seems low remember it is for the 4-night cruise dec. 1 thru Dec 5th, Sailing to Labadee. I will be doing regular updates from the ship just as before.

I am a full-fare paying guest, just like everyone else. I have my reservations of Hairspray, the AquaTheater, the comedy club and 150 Central Park. I am really looking forward to it already, and it seems like I just got back and I am already leaving again tomorrow morning.

Master Chief December 1st, 2009 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix_the_cat (Post 1260047)

They have left their vehicle at the hotel they stayed at at $10 per night and the hotel picks them up from the ship.

There will be a lot of people driving in for the Oasis. Air fare from Canada is just getting out of sight and for those who are not close enough to border towns the cost is getting prohibitive when coupled with a cruise.

If they haven't added more parking of course it's going to be an issue...a big one.

Felix,

We live in Florida and have been cruising out of Port Lauderdale for several years. The parking at the piers has always been $15 per day. Miami charges $20 and Port Canaveral charges $15. We cruised in Aug from Port Lauderdale and the rate was still $15 so I must wonder where your clients parked previouisly for $10. Perhaps it was uncovered parking and not in the garage (if that is available)? It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the parking fees go up as it would be an easy way for the Port Autrhority to make more money. And I am in total agreement that the fees at all the ports are way too high:(. There is some off site parking available but I have never used it. Perhaps some enterprising folks will develop a site and have reliable shuttles to and from the piers. I would hate to stop using a port because of parking but this could happen here.