Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:27 AM
Beginner

Default Europe cruise with Teen?

Thinking of taking a cruise with our 13 yr old son in July 2010. Will there be other teens on a Europe cruise? About what percent of the passengers will be American? Does anyone know if the TV in the bedroom has channels in English? Several years ago we took an Alaskan cruise and there we only 3 other kids our sons age and most passangers were well above retirement age. This was a very long week for our entire family and I want to make sure we don't make that same mistake.
Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:13 PM
Admiral

It depends - what ship, there are a lot of variables. You will find people from all over the globe onboard. It's a wonderful time to meet new people and learn about their countries. As for the % of Americans - well - that depends.

At that time of year their will be children onboard but how many isn't known. You could try calling the C&A desk and see if they can give you any idea of the numbers.

How much time do you actually intend to spend on the ship when in Europe? We found we were off almost every day all day - there is so much to see. Evenings were onboard but we were so tired from the days adventures we didn't want to do much.

YOu are talking about ages of passengers, again, what ship, how long.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:53 PM
Beginner

There seems to be 3 ships that do the part of Europe we are interested in: Navigator, Voyager and Adventure of the Seas. We would like to only go for 7 nights. I agree with you in the fact that we would be touring all day but a teen really needs other teen time or else he will be very bored. After this cruise we are going to Sweden for an ice hockey tournament for our son. Therefore we will be away from home for 16 nights total. I called RCI several years ago for the Alaskan cruise and they said there would be other kids and families. Of course, that was not an accurate statement and I was hoping to hear from people who went on a Europe cruise in the summer and how many kids/teens were travelling. On the Alaskan cruise I was speaking about the ages of passengers. I certainly dont mind ederly people but would like a better balance of young and old alike. My husband and I with a handful of passenger were by far the youngest couple on the cruise. (we are both in our ealy 40's)
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:32 PM
Admiral

Those 3 ships do offer a lot for children. However, the Navigator is getting some bad press at the moment. But for what you are asking I would expect children will definitely be on those particular ships.

I understand about kids getting bored relatively easy. The best I can tell you, the demographics should be pretty good - I would expect all age groups to be well represented on all those ships.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

We sailed on Navigator - W Med from Barcelona, myself and teen boy, in May and even though it wasn't European school vacation time there were lots of teens and young adults aboard. In July it will be packed with families. The Med cruises are very port intensive, and the resorts are not ones you want to miss- I thought it might get boring for him- French villages, history etc but he loved it all... as soon as we got back to the ship he was hanging with all his International group of friends..
Old December 1st, 2009, 02:39 PM
Beginner

You said you son was hanging on the ship with his international friends. Did they speak English? Were there alot of Americans on board? Were the shows in English? TV chanels in the room in English? Thanks
Old December 1st, 2009, 03:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, all the TV was the same as on a ship in the Caribbean- CNN International, a couple of movie channels, and the usual shopping/tourism interest channels. Those channels were also on in Spanish/German/French. There was a mix of passengers, about 1/3rd were US/Canadians, 1/3rd Spanish, then from all over Europe made up the rest. He made friends with British boys, a German girl and a group of Dutch teens- they all spoke English.
Some of the entertainment has to be visual - acrobats, music rather than comedians because otherwise everything has to be stated in several languages and repetition doesn't make for fun. They do have some shows in English then repeat them in Spanish ( Newlywed game comes to mind)
They cater a lot to the Spanish residents, second dinner at 9pm for them, many smoking venues, it's a little different to a Caribbean cruise with mostly US residents. I would definitely do it again.. and hope to, with two teens before too long.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 12:38 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJPCheers View Post
Thinking of taking a cruise with our 13 yr old son in July 2010. Will there be other teens on a Europe cruise? About what percent of the passengers will be American? Does anyone know if the TV in the bedroom has channels in English? Several years ago we took an Alaskan cruise and there we only 3 other kids our sons age and most passangers were well above retirement age. This was a very long week for our entire family and I want to make sure we don't make that same mistake.
I took four teenagers (two 15 yr old girls, one my DD and two 17 yr old boys, one my DS) on Voyager last July for a 7-night Med cruise out of Barcelona. It was packed with kids of all ages--the officers and crew said they hadn't had that many kids on a cruise before. Within a few hours of boarding my kids had joined in with several other kids and they essentially hung out together daily. I got together with the other parents and we changed some excursions so the kids could go on excursions together and they regularly dined together at JRs or the Windjammer. With only a few exceptions every European we met spoke at least some English and most spoke it very well. My DS is fluent in Spanish and my DD is fluent in French so they translated for me!

I would highly recommend Voyager for both the Med and for cruising with kids. The crew is wonderful, the ship is in great shape and we found it to be very teen friendly. Security doesn't let the kids run amok but they aren't heavy handed either.

One last thing, although my kids have been to Europe before and know it can be educational and culturally enriching, they LOVED cruising the Med because it was just for fun.

Have a great time.
Old December 14th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Beginner

I went on the Voyager of the Seas when I had just turned 17 and the ship was FULL of children, teenagers and adolesants. The majority of the passengers however are English, Spanish (as it departs from Barcelona), Italian and German etc. So, as you can guess, the Americans are in the minority. With children and teens though this is a good thing, as soon as the rest of the kids hear the American accent they'll be all over your son/daughter like a rash - 'ohhh, he's American, cool' etc. The voyager is epic, you will most definitely have a fabulous time!