Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Our waiter was a space cadet, too.

He came to us and said two of the nine items we were supposed to get had run out (on day 2?) - he offered no apology or substitute.

He barely explained how things worked there - that it was a tasting menu, etc. And he brought the portions without telling us what we were eating, just dropping them on the table. You don't do that with a tasting menu.
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Interesting that many posts with the term "Cruise Critic" are removed when posted by regular members....
Old May 19th, 2011, 03:25 PM
First Mate

I dined at 150 on Allure. They do have two menus A and B. You can "mix and match" your courses between the two menus. For example, I don't really eat fish;so they allowed me to subsitute from the other menu in order to accomodate. I thought the food was good and extremely filling. If you actually go through all the courses; you'll fill-up and head to "food-comma". Overall, I don't think the price and time committment to dine there was really an "out of this world" experience. Interestingly enough, the place wasn't full every night and appeared to have plenty of open seats. Not really sure people are hitting it up as much as the cruise line had envisioned. Giovanni's Table was full every day - obviously it's the cheapest; however, the food is simple and plentyfull. I really enjoyed that.
Old May 30th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Admiral

I must agree that I found Giovanni's Table much more satisfying than 150 Central Park on the Oasis cruise. Where the waiter Paul and I had at 150 was secretive, my waiter at Giovanni's was quite helpful and outgoing.

The thing about Giovanni's is so much of their menu is designed for two people, such as "Antipasti per Due" as one example. I dined alone and my waiter told me he would "customize" my servings for one person since, as he said, "we are built around serving couples and groups".

We sail aboard Allure in 3 weeks and I decided to not reserve 150 Central Park. Instead I am going with Chops, Giovanni's, and Samba Grill for special dinners.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:16 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default 150 Central Park

Just returned from the Allure of the Seas, and we dined in all their Specialty Restaurants, incl. 150 Central Park. We had a wonderful dining experience. However, if you are looking for large portions of "familiar food", speedy service, a cold Bud and casual attire (perhaps a football game on TV in the corner), stick to the main dining room or Sorrento's Pizza. BTW there is always McDonalds once you get back on land:-)
Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Wow... thanks Cruiser62...

I don't know if you realize that I am the editor of the website and that I have tried almost every specialty restaurant in the cruise industry - so I think I have pretty good perspective and what my meal was like - but I certainly appreciate you clarifying my post with that valuable information.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:51 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Paul:

Very honored to get a personal response from the editor of this website:-) I am not a big cruise fan, so I tag along because my fiancee likes it. Hence, I certainly don't have your extensive cruise experience. I have travelled, however, to to more than 80 countries (not including short harbor stops at places like Labadee etc.:-)), lived in 6 countries, speak 5 languages, have multiple citizenships, and dined in some of the best restaurants on this planet. For $25.00-$40.00 I found the Specialty Restaurant dining experience on this ship a good value compared to the overfilled, run of the mill, noisy, (McDonalds crowd) main dining room. We had great, peaceful dinners at 150 Central Park, Chops Grill, Giovannis (not that fond of their veal dish), Samba Grill in almost empty restaurants (I guess once you have to pay, most of the 6000 guests bail out:-)) Just the perspective of an outsider. Good luck with your website and happy cruising:-)

Peter
Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Welcome to the web site and nice to see you are not always cynical. I hope you come back regularly and contribute some real knowledge.

Yes - Central Park was $75 when I went there (It could be even more now, I heard prices have gone up). I was pretty disappointed when 2 of the eight menu items were "not available" and there was no substitute, or even a real apology.

I understand the tasting menu concept, but it is pretty sad to leave a $75 restaurant so "still hungry" that you head directly to another place for more food.

I would have preferred three visits Samba's instead.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:31 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Admiral:

Price per person at 150 was actually only $40.00. We did have a bottle of Dom Perignon and the Caumus Cabernet which might have clouded my judgement a little bit:-) Seriously, you might have had a bad day on your particular cruise. Our waiter was from Romania and could not have been more accomodating, polite and professional. The food was excellent and innovative (not sure where you live, but I am a long time New Yorker and also reside in Florida, and there are not too many restaurants in my areas that have this type of degustation menu for $40.00:-)). So I really recommend this restaurant, if you want the "European Gourmet" experience and don't need the 24 oz sirloin steak + potatoe starch to fill your belly (BTW, there is enough bread supplied for that carb crave). Our dinner lasted from 7:30 to 11:00 as per our request for "slow" service. Very relaxing and romantic! I understand, that's not everyones preference. Hence, there is always the main dining room... and many other options on the ship:-)

Cheers,
Peter

PS: Not sure why I am engaging in this conversation and RC should owe me some royalties to defend them:-)
Old September 22nd, 2011, 01:57 PM
Welcome Newcomer

By the way, I agree with you on Samba, but I probably would have gained 4 pounds in 3 visits. Great supply of meat and salad bar!!!

Peter
Old September 22nd, 2011, 02:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

You are correct - when I went there it was $35. The price has just gone up to $40 (I guess i was thinking baout the price for two people).