Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default 150 Central Park

As noted, I rarely go to Crise Critic, and I did happen to see this over there:

Quote:
We just returned from Oasis and dined at 150 Central Park. Yes it is an 8 course meal. Take some of Menu A and some of Menu B and that is what was offered. This might change each evening, that I don't know. The portions are small but more food than you could ever eat. It is a meal you will never forget! It is a dining experience which takes quite awhile to enjoy so be prepared. There is a suggested wine on the menu for each course. To me, the fact this meal was prepared by such a young chef is extrodinary. She has a very bright future. It is such a great venue and to sail Oasis and miss this restaurant would be missing one of the things that seperates Oasis from other ships. I don't think I would book it 2x on a sailing only because I don't like sitting that long at a meal more than once a cruise but that is just me. The dress was everywhere from suit and tie to dress slacks and shirt. Women had on dresses or slacks and a nice top. We have been on The Queen Mary and Regent and this meal was as good as, if not better than, anything we had on these ships. I think once word gets out this will be a very sought after dining venue so I would book as soon as possible.
I don't want to call this person a liar, but I have to say that this is nothing like what I experienced. There were not two menus, A or B. There was but one Pris Fixe menu with six items on it presented to us. There were two optional wine pairings, one for $55 pp and the other for $75 pp. But we didnt try those. Our entire dinner was a shortened version of menu number 2 below. As I look at this I can see four items one this enu which we were not served - details are below, but vefore I go one, considering the missing itms, is it still fair to charge us the full price for this dining experience? Not in my opinion.

Here is the menu we received:

And the waiter mixed up items two and three, serving them in reverse order.
I also see we got beets instead of tomato. I guess that is OK, Im not a big fan of tomato anyway.

I thought the food was delicious, but I have to say it not filling at all, the portions were very tiny for me - I did arrive with a healthy appetite, however. My companion, David Beers, says it was more filling, but I checked and his portions were bigger than mine. I guess they didn't notice who was paying. ;-)

I have pictures of the menu items - here was the first one:

Note that the spoon was the size of souvenir spoon, about 3 1/2 inch long, not a full-size spoon. This was a tiny arugula salad (three bites, pickled beets (2 bites), baked beets (two bites you can see) and a one-inch ball of vanilla-beet ice cream.

here you get a better perspective on size of protions because the fork was in there:

This was two or three bites of Halibut on top of a red onion and fennel confit, Butter pastry, and spiced Mandarin emulsion (again).

We also had the sliced sea scallop mentioned in the menu - (no pic) and when they say scallop in singular, that is what they mean - one scallop was all we were served.

We did not received the tomato sorbet, we did get the Cream of Sunchoke (I am not even really sure what that is, but it was a bowl of soup about 3 incehs wide by 3/4 of an ince deep).

We did get the Butternut Squash Agnolli, which was excellent. As I recall it was a bit like a ravioli.

We DID NOT GET the poached lobster listed in the menu above with our dinner - which would have been a highlight for me. The waiter had told us the reason our menu was reduced to six items was because they ran out of certain ingredients on the cruise. Funny - that day in Labadee they were giving away lobster like there was no tomorrow. I have no idea if that is related but... it was very good - here is a picture of that lobster. THIS WAS TAKEN ON LABADEE -NOT 150 CENTRAL PARK

This was apparently the main dining course. Wagyu Beef. Keep in mind this was a standard dining plate. so each of three pieces of beef was about 1.5 inches - not exactly a bounty of food. Total size = 4 /12 inches by 1/2 inch. The mushrooms were carmelised (yummy) but the mashed potatos below were comsumed in one bite.

We did get the banana split which was delicious. But also a tiny crepe and a slice of banana that was essentially one bite: here is the picture:

The description says Poached banana Ice cream (one bite) white chocolate banana crepes (this was delicious) tipsey cherry (three cherries presumably infused with some alcohol) pineapple bubbles - this was a dollop of foam that looks a little like another scoop of ice cream.

We did NOT get a cheese selection following our dinner, nor we were offered petit fours. Add it all up, out of everything we paid for, we did not receive the:

tomato Sorbet, The Maine Lobster, the cheese selection or the petit fours. Okay, from a menu with actually ten items on it, you really have to wonder why we were served only six of them. IN all accuracy, however, I dont recall seeing the cheese or petit fours on our menu, I only see it on the one I found online.

There was also another screw-up. just for the record; the waiter served our beet entree (not on the menu) before the Sea scallop by mistake.

Anyway - I am not one to complain too much. As I said the food was all delicious,, but when you go a gourmet restaurant you pay for a lot more than food. You pay for professionalism. We had courses missing, and courses served out of order. I was really looking forward to this night and had been talking about for months. I would have to say it was one of my biggest personal disappointments.
Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

One would really have to love nouvelle cuisine to enjoy this dinner. That would not be me, or my husband....a bite of this and a spoonful of that would never fly, especially at that price, pp. The fact that you had an incomplete menu, just amazes me...If this is your style, I think it's wonderful that it's offered. Walking away hungry on a cruise, is against the law I think....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 6th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Admiral

I am more inclined to accept your information than anyone else. I see someone is over there telling her you disagree with her strongly.

As for 150, it really doesn't matter to me. It's not someplace I'll be dining as those portions are what are normally given for appetizers in other places anyway - including Chops. I can't imagine paying that kind of money for a mouthful and I'm not a big eater.

Again, another place they need to work the kinks out.

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old December 7th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Administrator
Admiral

It's possible the person at CC had a different experience than I did. I wnet on Thursday night, maybe she went earlier. They told us they had to reduce the menu because they ran out of ingredients. This could just just as easily mean reducing the size of the courses as it does the number of courses.

All I know is that it was a disappointment to me, and I had far higher expectations of it than what I received.
Old December 7th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Admiral

I enjoyed the meal with Paul and it filled me up more than it did him. However, I must be honest here and say that overall the meal was not at the high level I was expecting. Some things had great taste and texture, but many items struck me as being bland and not much different in quality than I'd get in the main dining room. The Wagyu beef was remarkably lacking in flavor to me. It is a personal thing I guess but I prefer a more assertive hand with seasoning. My favorite items were the beet ice cream (really, it was excellent), the cream of sunchoke soup, and the banana split. The other items were not memorable.

The wine list was extensive, and quite pricey too. Many bottles were over $100, with several in the $500+ range. They even had one bottle of wine that went for over $4000. As it was, I settled for one glass of chardonnay which cost me $24. Obviously 150 Central Park derives much of it's revenue from the wine service.

The abbreviated menu was a disappointment for me too. Given the place was perhaps half full of diners our waiter was not stressed. To mix up the order of course presentations was not his finest moment.
Old December 7th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Admiral

To say my husband likes to eat is an understatement...we often eat at the speciality restaurants on our cruises and have yet to be disappointed.

But reading the menu and then seeing the size of the portions at 150 Central Park, this is NOT a restaurant we will be visiting anytime soon.

BTW: Thanks for the great pictures...
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:29 PM
First Mate

Smile

Now I am getting a little worried. I am booked for Central park on Jan. 26. Maybe I should plan on drinking a little more wine between the 6 or 8 appetizers.
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Now that Paul has published the menu, and shown everyone the pictures, and with commentary as well from Dave, I think, it's easy to make an evaluation: is the right dining option for your palate, and, will you leave hungry? Now, there will be no surprises

I wonder in a few years, if there will be a worn path from this venue, to Johnny Rockets

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 8th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Thank you for that. I see as wonderful visual there - genteel well dressed folk entering 150 charging out 2 hours later half starving as they push each other out of the way running for a burger!!! Nice greasy burger. yummmmm

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old December 9th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Admiral

No The Maine Lobster and I would have walked without taking a bite. They want to charge extra for a restuarant the food should be outstanding. It looked like the crepe was cut in half. Crepes are normally round and when folded makes a half moon not a triangle.

I agree with you that the person from CC probably went on a different night when 150 still had food. Here is what I don't understand about the "missing" items they take reservations shouldn't they have some idea how much food they need?

Maybe I have the answer if the person from CC is right and the policy for the first part of the cruise was to combine menus A and B this is were the problem came in. If people are taking part of A and part of B how can you predict how much food is needed? Everyone (except my hubby) will want the lobster so it will go first. I have never worked at a resturant (SP) so maybe I'm just confused on how to run one.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 9th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Admiral

When I was much younger (you know - the horse and buggy age) I owned a restaurant. Certainly not a high class one such as 150 but I can tell you this - if I didn't have enough food of all menu items I would soon have been out of business.

It is ludicrous to think that they didn't have enough food to last 4 days on a ship such as this. Bad planning (no, lousy planning) on their part.

Did they at least offer you your money or any part of it back? I guess not. You paid for a product you did not recieve. Bad business..............

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old December 9th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Admiral

I'm liking the small portions for me anyway since I'm always calorie counting and don't want to overeat.

For many cruisers however those are tiny portions. :eek:

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Admiral

I don't calorie count and probably (actually should) count. I'm not a big eater - I would rather eat several times a day. In saying that, when I pay for a product I expect that product to be offered to me in it's entirety not 6/8. I don't think they are supplying enough but that's OK - if they offer all they are charging for. In this particular case, they didn't.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old December 9th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellosno View Post
Now I am getting a little worried. I am booked for Central park on Jan. 26. Maybe I should plan on drinking a little more wine between the 6 or 8 appetizers.

Don't drink too much wine you will have to save some room for the Mojitos at Boleros!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Admiral

As I recall it, the waiter didn't even say anything about the shortened menu until Paul asked about it. He then said there were items they didn't have because they couldn't obtain them. It struck me as an odd thing to say given 1) this was the first revenue cruise, 2) it was a highly touted specialty restaurant, and 3) the ship is based in south Florida where you can obtain virtually any food item on the planet from the local suppliers. And the missing courses didn't use exotic ingredients. Look at the ingredients from the missing courses...maine lobster, leeks, beets (had plenty of them I'd say), tomatoes, cheeses, and petit fours. I can get all them at the local Publix.
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Once again - to their credit, they were giving away lobster all day on Labadee. I had five lobster tails there myself and they were delicious. They say you can tell when a lobster is freshly cooked when the tail is curved. These tails were curved.

Wouldn't just be hilarious if all of the lobster intended for the cruises, including 150 Central Park, was cooked up and given away on Labadee? I have never seen lobster on a private island buffet before.
Old December 9th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Admiral

The Labadee lobster surprise! I was standing in line when they opened up the buffet and a couple of people from the CD's staff were behind me. The first people to load up their plates walked by and we all immediately zeroed in on the lobster tails and said in unison "mmmm lobster!" It was funny.

I then wondered if this was going to be normal or just as a celebration for the Oasis' first visit to Labadee. It was a nice touch.
Old December 9th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Admiral

I would be willing to bet there is no way that is going to be the norm. Lobster on a buffet

The special treat however is not excuse for not having the proper menu in a paying restaurant.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old December 9th, 2009, 08:25 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen View Post
Don't drink too much wine you will have to save some room for the Mojitos at Boleros!
Well, the reality is I will probably have too much wine and too many mojitos. To be honest, this will just be another opportunity to dress nicely for dinner. If it sucks, I won't go back but I tend to just enjoy life in general and it won't ruin my day. Maybe I will be the only person in Johnny Rockets in a nice Italian suit
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Just remember Sorrento's is open too, and it doesn't cost extra so you can load up on hot pizza after the tasting menu at 150 Central Park!
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
As I recall it, the waiter didn't even say anything about the shortened menu until Paul asked about it. He then said there were items they didn't have because they couldn't obtain them. It struck me as an odd thing to say given 1) this was the first revenue cruise, 2) it was a highly touted specialty restaurant, and 3) the ship is based in south Florida where you can obtain virtually any food item on the planet from the local suppliers. And the missing courses didn't use exotic ingredients. Look at the ingredients from the missing courses...maine lobster, leeks, beets (had plenty of them I'd say), tomatoes, cheeses, and petit fours. I can get all them at the local Publix.
Okay now that would have ticked me off. If lobster is off the menu people should know ahead of time and be given the choice of whether or not to eat there. I'm not normally a pain, unless I feel I'm being ripped off. Then I become a pain. Paying for a meal that includes Lobster and not getting it because they gave it away would make me feel like I was being ripped off. I would be polite, but I would use my tax collector voice. That's my scary voice.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 11th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellosno View Post
Well, the reality is I will probably have too much wine and too many mojitos. To be honest, this will just be another opportunity to dress nicely for dinner. If it sucks, I won't go back but I tend to just enjoy life in general and it won't ruin my day. Maybe I will be the only person in Johnny Rockets in a nice Italian suit
I'll have a Mojito for you and Cruisemates on Saturday nite in Boleros.

I won't be visiting 150 Central Park however looking forward to my lobster and escargot in the dining room.

I stop counting calories when it comes to lobster and escargot.

I'll be interested to hear from my fellow cruisers that do try 150 to see what they have thought about the experience.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old December 11th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
My friends Allan and the famous Adrienne were the bartenders at Bolero's last week. I think Allan said they are rotating bartenders every two weeks so not sure if they'll still be there. If you see them, tell them Dave says "hey!"
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:37 PM
First Mate

Quote:

I won't be visiting 150 Central Park however looking forward to my lobster and escargot in the dining room.

I stop counting calories when it comes to lobster and escargot.

I'll be interested to hear from my fellow cruisers that do try 150 to see what they have thought about the experience.

Saturday night !! I am soooooo jealous. I won't be on until Jan. 23. Like Dave Beers said, say hello to Adrienne and please report back here to tell us what we missed.
Old December 11th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Dave I'll tell Adrianne you said Hello!!

Yellosno I'll let everyone know the guy who hangs out at Boleros, drinks wine and Mojitos and wears a suit to Johnny Rockets will be onboard next month. (I'll tell Adrianne you said hello)

If Adrianne is not at Boleros I will find him it is not that big of a ship!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:19 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Dave I'll tell Adrianne you said Hello!!

Yellosno I'll let everyone know the guy who hangs out at Boleros, drinks wine and Mojitos and wears a suit to Johnny Rockets will be onboard next month. (I'll tell Adrianne you said hello)

If Adrianne is not at Boleros I will find him it is not that big of a ship!
enjoy, stay safe..................I'm still jealous !
Old December 15th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Has anyone else tried 150 Central Park?

I am wondering if things have changed at 150 Central Park yet. Did they get the menu sorted out so you get everything promised? Are the portions still miniscule?
Old May 19th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Familiar Face

Default Allure Central Park is fantastic because of chef.

Maureen "Molly" Brandt of Stillwater, Minn.,Chef de Cuisine of 150 Central Park onboard Allure of the Seas.

Try this for a sample menu entry by Molly:
Chilled Lobster with fennel, carrots, citrus, caviar and tempura battered lobster mitt; Provencal Lamb Loin with Dijon potato puree, ratatouille, pattypan squash and olive tapenade; and Pistachio Cake with whipped rosewater crème fraiche and carbonated raspberries.

And she's dreaming up similar menus for Allure cruisers.

Pisachio cake what a treat, but, it's the little things that count with me and the Allure had pistachios and walnuts for cereal in the morning. And anchovies for Caesar salad and pizza at night.
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

OMG - that just made me so hungry!
Old May 19th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Captain

We were on the maiden 7NT of the Allure and both disappointed with 150. When we didn't want wine, the waiter started to treat us like coffee shop patrons. My standard line is we don't drink wine, we drink White Zinfandel! So any of their quality wines would certainly be lost an us and I wasn't going to pay even more to act like I enjoyed myself. We were still paying customers and trying to gauge the food/service for our agency. But if this waiter knew anything about "Gold Anchor" service, he hid the anchor "somewhere."