Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 7th, 2009, 01:21 PM
First Mate

Default Did Diamond Plus Members get invited to Oasis pre-cruise?

Hello all,

Wondering if any knows if Royal Caribbean had a pre-sailing event for Diamond Plus members? I heard something about it on one of these posts; however, I wasn't sure if anyone either was invited or knew what criteria they used to select which Diamond Plus members got invited?

For example, I have 32 cruise credits and never received an invitation to go down in advance to see Oasis...just curious.
Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Admiral

I'm D+ and didn't get an invite.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old December 7th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Seem to me that you had to be a " royal champion" even though the program is closed. One former Royal Champion had 3 free cruises and never paid for a cruise.

My husband was told that by RCCL C and A that members were "randomly assigned through a computer generated program.....
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:43 AM
First Mate

Thanks for the replies; sounds like the criteria they used was a bit screwy. I could see if they said - Diamond Plus Members in excess of X cruise credits get an invitation? Especially as the higher teir you go; the total population of individuals must shirnk, plus then take that number and reduce it further by those who would not travel from far away to get to the ship. Seems to me this might have been a good will opportunity for the line to do something nice for their most loyal members; considering the amenities they most recently had "revised".
Old December 8th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Admiral

I do know there were a number of members who have a lot less cruises than I do there including a blue bear. Oh well ...........................Royal Champs are still there.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old December 12th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Captain

Hi Diamond, just back from the "Radiance" and responded under the original thread before I saw this thread. We have over 50 credits and another couple we know are in that same group and we both got invited based on that number. There were several of the over 100 and even one with 200 credits but the vast majority of invitees were travel agents. Very glad I went and I loved the experience. I firmly believe it is NOT for everyone but I will go back, Robbie
Old December 12th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the update, clearly 50 cruises should entitle you to a preview cruise, but it doesn't seem RCCL follows any formula or criteria.
Old December 13th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I can't say anything with any certainty, but I have heard some people were invited and some were not.

I have a suspicion that there are some travel agencies that seem to get special favors from RCL, and if you use those agencies all the time you can get invitations or special rates.

I don't have the resources to do this myself because I don't know who is diamond and who isn't, but those of you who do - I would ask them who they usually book their RCL cruises with.
Old December 13th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Admiral

I am D+. I was D long before I became a TA. I am known as the RCL guru in our office and others call me for info. (Just background info).

I am with a large Canadian company that is now reaching into the U.S. We contracted with another very large well known online company about 2 years ago.

Now, in saying that, I have never ever been invited to anything with RCL other than at sea conferences.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old December 13th, 2009, 05:51 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the reply, 50+ cruises seems like a reasonable number to make the cut; I'll wait for then I guess; 32 cruise credits and counting....
Old December 13th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I can't say anything with any certainty, but I have heard some people were invited and some were not.

I have a suspicion that there are some travel agencies that seem to get special favors from RCL, and if you use those agencies all the time you can get invitations or special rates.

I don't have the resources to do this myself because I don't know who is diamond and who isn't, but those of you who do - I would ask them who they usually book their RCL cruises with.
We were told by RCCL and our former TA, that only TAs could attend. I know that many had been invited by their TAs.
Old December 13th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Captain

I am my T/A, a franchisee, and our invite was strictly based on the D+ aspect. Out of the thousands of us there the second weekend, the D+ group looked like less than 100 folks. My understanding was that the rest were all T/A's or contest winners.
Old December 14th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

My TA says she won about 5 contests and they still limited er to two guests, meanwhile, the cruises were not full. Go figure.

Another rumor I hear now is that the big discounts are coming from booking onboard, if you are willing to take the next cruise, for example you may get it for than less than 1/2 price.
Old December 14th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'm wondering if they are filling up the ship, with the prices, I can't see that happening, but who knows?

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 14th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Admiral

HOw many people can actually stay on the ship for the next week "just like that"? Think about the changes - work, air, kids, money, - far too many changes have to be made - wouldn't be very many able to do something like that.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old December 14th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Our former travel agency, we were the sole Diamond members in their store, they are part of own of the largest if not the largest brick and mortar travel agency. They told us it was RCCL policy that TAs were forbidden to invite guests. So, I am hearing conflicting stories.

The D+ invites come from the C&A , then marketing gets a large number of guests they can ask to come.
Old December 14th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am on board the Navigator right now, they were selling 5 day cruises for $179. Numerous JS and Balconies were available, as of a couple days ago there was availability in every catagory and now the ship is sailing full, go figure.