CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Mariner of the Seas Skating Rink (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/370066-mariner-seas-skating-rink.html)

Ryan_Y December 15th, 2009 10:01 PM

Mariner of the Seas Skating Rink

Hey everybody,
Just searching for those who have experienced the Mariner of the Seas cruising experience. When I was booking, I checked out the Amenities section, and saw that they have and ice-skating rink. Just wondering, does it cost anything extra to get onto the ice? And, are skate rental's free/available, or would I have to pack my own (A REAL pain...)

blueliner December 15th, 2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan_Y (Post 1262664)
Hey everybody,
Just searching for those who have experienced the Mariner of the Seas cruising experience. When I was booking, I checked out the Amenities section, and saw that they have and ice-skating rink. Just wondering, does it cost anything extra to get onto the ice? And, are skate rental's free/available, or would I have to pack my own (A REAL pain...)

No charge for the ice rink, and there are skates available. They are cheap plastic skates though. Check the Daily Compass for the times the ice rink is open. You just have to sign a liability waiver. They allow about 50 people on per session, and the sessions are about 50 minutes long as I recall. Don't miss the ice show, you need to get tickets, and there is no charge for the ice show.

felix_the_cat December 16th, 2009 06:45 AM

As already said, there is free-skate time. It's not a big rink and they don't allow any kind of hockey "stuff". It's cutesy and fun. Skates are as said, cheap plastic things but good enough for what you will be doing.

It's not worth your while to take your own skates.

Donna December 16th, 2009 09:35 AM

Hi Ryan,
Be sure to get tickets (free) for the ice show during your cruise, a really must see.

cruzinfamily December 16th, 2009 07:12 PM

Thanks for the info about the ice skating...countdown is on we leave on Sunday!

addicted2 December 16th, 2009 09:46 PM

Long pants and socks are required to skate onboard too.

Nipo December 18th, 2009 05:03 PM

I would say that if you are an experienced skater and really want to skate you should bring your own skates and skate on advanced skating time when own skates are required and there is more space.

The rental skates are really lousy plus the skating rink on public skating times is so full of beginners that you really don't have a chance to skate. The people are actually falling on each other.

The skating rink is not good anyway (ice is too soft, even wet and bumpy), the rink is pretty small and I assume you are not even allowed to do any jumps. Anyway, our little figure skaters (the other one competing, the other one beginner) like the chance to practice even in caribbean, which has been the reason for choosing RCCL :-)