CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Dress Codes and what if I don't want to? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/370313-dress-codes-what-if-i-dont-want.html)

clovely December 27th, 2009 05:36 PM

Dress Codes and what if I don't want to?

According to the RCCL site, for a five night cruise, it's 3 nights "casual", one "smart casual" and one formal. We're from Florida. Anything requiring hubby to wear a tie is more like work than a vacation. Mind boggling to me to give ya 18" worth of closet space and then require the family to get dressed up. I fully intend to pack LIGHT. I can bring myself to pack hubby a couple pair of long pants and sport shirts but that's as far as I'm going. So on those other two nights, do we just go tacky or are there other places we can have dinner? We've done one other cruise and it was Disney. I did the whole dress up thing there and I'm just not putting everyone through that again. We're perfectly happy with pizza somewhere.

Snoozeman December 27th, 2009 06:38 PM

More people are thinking like you. Really the Windjammer has very good dinners and a lot of guests will be eating there on formal night. DW prefers it in fact.

felix_the_cat December 28th, 2009 10:59 AM

You can eat in the WJ or order into your room.

I do believe it's unfair for those who do dress according to suggestion especially on formal night for people to disregard the suggestion. However, if you really want to eat in the dining room no one will boot you. Take a quick look at you is about all anyone is going to do.

Queen of Diamonds December 28th, 2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clovely (Post 1264531)
According to the RCCL site, for a five night cruise, it's 3 nights "casual", one "smart casual" and one formal. We're from Florida. Anything requiring hubby to wear a tie is more like work than a vacation. Mind boggling to me to give ya 18" worth of closet space and then require the family to get dressed up. I fully intend to pack LIGHT. I can bring myself to pack hubby a couple pair of long pants and sport shirts but that's as far as I'm going. So on those other two nights, do we just go tacky or are there other places we can have dinner? We've done one other cruise and it was Disney. I did the whole dress up thing there and I'm just not putting everyone through that again. We're perfectly happy with pizza somewhere.

Why not take a look at NCL cruises, they do not have a dress code.
Otherwise eat in the Windjammer, that 's what we always do- the last thing I want to do after a day baking in the sun is to get dressed up and eat in a formal environment.

DetroitMark December 28th, 2009 06:17 PM

Rules Schmules

I've only been on one cruise, and it was another line. But the truth is no one gives a hoot what anyone else is wearing.

People like me who went out and sprung for a tux (I built my own out of a nice black suit) might get all uppity. But its because you make us look over dressed. But here's the key ... you will definately NOT look under dressed, unless you show up looking like a slob in a tee shirt and gardening pants. And believe me, some people do that too. I suspect those are folks who won the cruise. So who can blame them.

felix_the_cat December 28th, 2009 06:48 PM

They are necessarily people who won cruises - they are however, people who live in a "me me" world which today, is typical in any walk of life.

njcruisercc December 29th, 2009 01:33 PM

Ok..here's the deal..it's a cruise where you CAN do what you want when you want....Windjammer ususally has a sampling of what is in the dining room so if you prefer to not get dolled up, you don't have to....

Personally...I like going to the dining hall.....it's how I meet people.....

DetroitMark December 29th, 2009 07:03 PM

I think the bottom line is that you can pretty much go where you want ... dining room ... Windjammer ... anywhere you wish ... and not sweat that hubby's not in a tux.

You will see polo shirts in the main dining rooms whether any tux purists like me telling you that or not.

You do not have to hide yourself in the Windjammer because he doesn't have a cumberbun. They just want you to think you do so you won't add to the 30 or 40 other people dressed down making us suits look over-done.

S.S.Oceanlover January 3rd, 2010 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clovely (Post 1264531)

Just back from the Navigator a few weeks ago and never set foot in the MDR. Ate at the Windjammer every night.

Bill

Donna January 4th, 2010 09:36 AM

While I'm not crazy about dressing up, for the one or two evenings I find it no big deal. It doesn't have to be a tux, just a regular suit and you may find you like eating in the dinning room on Formal evenings, you may want to give it a try.

Pootersdad January 4th, 2010 12:57 PM

Dress Codes

Quote:

Originally Posted by DetroitMark (Post 1264747)
But the truth is no one gives a hoot what anyone else is wearing.

On the contrary. People DO care. If someone doesn't want to "dress up", then so be it. However, that's why they have the alternative dining venue, i. e., Windjammer.

addicted2 January 4th, 2010 03:08 PM

We have done both extremes while cruising, from the long formal dresses and suits on formal nights, and even ate at the Captain's table. However on our last three cruises we have become more of a fan of the casual dining at the windjammer for dinner. We love the variety of food served especially the salad bar. But what we like even better is dining when we want, wearing what we like and being able to have a nice quiet dinner with just my hubby and I to talk about the day and not having to make small talk with a bunch of others. We usually still attend the main dining room a couple of nights to meet others and go to the specialty restaurants at least once if available. The bottom line is don't feel like you are required to do anything while on a cruise (except the muster drill) if you want to eat relaxed while wearing shorts go to the windjammer, if you want to dress to the nines go to the main dining room on formal nights. It is your vacation so have fun and vacation however you like.

Ilionite January 10th, 2010 10:00 PM

If you don't dress for the dinning room, don't go to the dinning room!

DiamondMember January 11th, 2010 08:53 AM

More recently on formal nights, I've done dress pants, button down shirt and blue blazer (skipped the tie). I would say that as long as you are dressed nicely (I'd recommend a jacket); I think that's a fair compromise. But honestly, I'd have to agree with most of the posters, it you put yourself in the shoes of those who do follow guidelines and dress-up and you're seated next to a table of casually dressed people, it's just doesn't work well. The trick is to compromise.

BamaGirl January 11th, 2010 10:07 AM

I will be wearing a very nice black cocktail dress and hubby is wearing nice slacks and button down long sleeved dress shirt. No jacket or tie and we are eatting in the dinning room. It was like pulling teeth getting my husband to wear a tux at our wedding. We'll look nice, but not formal like we were going to a black tie event. Sorry!:p

Queen of Diamonds January 11th, 2010 06:51 PM

What you plan to wear sounds fine to me.
What the OP asked was if it was OK for them to 'go tacky' - whether you are onboard a ship or going to any other elegant restaurant it's not OK to go tacky when everyone else is expecting a festive occasion with some refinement.