Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Beginner

Default Advice for First Time Cruisers

My family and I are going on our first cruise with RCCL in February 2010 - Adventure of the Seas - any advice?
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Take LOTS of money and enjoy every minute!!!

Seriously, start on our Home Page and read lots of the articles that our staff have written. TONS of good info available, and you'll feel like a pro in no time.

Once you're feeling more comfortable, post any specific questions you're not sure about here, and you're bound to get some great advice.

.... And, a warm welcome to CruiseMates to you. Hope you enjoy the site, and soon you'll probably be "cruise afflicted" like so many of us.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Welcome to CruiseMates! As you prepare for your cruise, I'm sure you will have a lot of specific questions. Please don't hesitate to ask, regardless of how trivial it may seem.

Since you mentioned that this will be a "family cruise," be sure to check out Adventure Ocean on the first night. I have a 5 year old granddaughter, and she has been on 7 cruises! The staff are well trained, and the children love being there.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old December 29th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Take half the clothes and twice the money you thought you would need.
Old December 29th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Beginner

I would have to agree about packing less clothes...take half of what you think you will need.....You never wear it all......as for money....well you can really watch your spending if you eat on the ship...think about it...you already paid for food in the cost of the cruise.....it's the souvineers that will cost ya!

I've been on 5 RCCL cruises and only 1 Princess....RCCL has been the winner!

Looking cruise again myself next year!

Any other specific questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Diamonds View Post
Take half the clothes and twice the money you thought you would need.
Old December 29th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Congrats on you first cruise! The best recommendations I can make are:

Take fewer clothes than you think you will need. You will wear less than you think and many clothes, especially evening wear, can be worn more than once.

Take small bills for tips to porters, taxi drivers, room service etc..

Take a highlighter to mark the daily activity list so you won't miss something you want to attend.

Don't try to do EVERYTHING and take some time to relax.

If you need local currency (rarely needed for Mexico or Caribbean) use a bank ATM. Travelers checks have gone the way of the Betamax.

Take time to do your own research about the ship and the ports you will visit. Use this information to give you an idea, before your cruise, about what you want to do on the ship and onshore.

No matter what: Take a good attitude and roll with any small issues and make sure you address any major issues with the ship's staff and don't let it ruin your cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 29th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Familiar Face

Default Trinkets

If you're allowed, for example, 2 checked and 1 carry on per person ... take the two checked and have one person pack their carry on bag empty.

Then when you come home you'll have plenty of packing room for all the STUFF! ya bought.
Old January 6th, 2010, 12:46 PM
First Mate

We were just on the Adventure end of Sept first of Oct. it was one of our favorite cruises. Not sure of which itinerary you are on, but if it goes to Barbados it may be worth it to book an excursion with the ship, the taxis there are horrible they won't leave until the vans are full and it took 45 min before they would leave when we were there. There also is not much shopping there. However some of our most favorite ports were on that cruise, St. Lucia, Antigua and St. Croix were absolutely gorgeous and we can't wait until we can do that cruise again (even though the Adventure will be moving.) Hope you have a great cruise and remember to post a review when you return.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:37 PM
First Mate

Dont expect perfection....but don't expect to be miserable...
take an open mind.

try new foods...if you don't like something, SEND IT BACK!! Your wait staff is SUPPOSED to be sure you're happy!!

see the ice show and production shows..they're lots of fun

you don't HAVE to do everything....try to relax....walk around the ship...take lots of pix.

the professional photos are nice..and you don't have to buy them! So...i would suggest letting the photographers do their jobs..then you can see if you like any of them....and if so, buy a couple. if not, no worries....

i DO take travelers cheques...they are harder to find, but i've not had problems.

do NOT take those prepaid VISA cards or travelers cheque cards (looks like a Credit card) as they can't be used on the ship for your on board account and they're a PITA in port.....

have a great time!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/megr1125
That's for my photos and videos!

And..for Enchantment OTS photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...mentOfTheSeas#

Nov/Dec 2009 Explorer B2B photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...sB2BNovDec2009#

And Explorer B2B Video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cruisermeg