Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 29th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Investigative cruiser?

Are you the type of cruiser who "investigates" every part of your ship, from stem to stern,or are there parts you, just never get to, or want to see...you mean there really is a gym onboard??????

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Usually as soon as I board, hit the buffet, its off to explore the ship. First is to locate cabin, drop off carry on, then I'm off. Its nice to know where things are, sometimes it takes days to find areas onboard.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 30th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Admiral

My nature is nosy I like knowing things. So I take a walkabout of the ship and get the lay of the land. I do have a good memory so once the walkabout is complete I don't get lost.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Part of my cruise ritual is not going to the buffet when I first board. It is dropping off the carry-ons (if cabin is available) and then exploring the ship. I start at the top deck and work my way down. It usually takes about an hour and a half to walk most ships, take pictures and take in the different venues.

It helps later when you need to know how to get from point A to point B.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

It isn't the first thing I do, but by the end of every cruise I have seen every public area on a ship (of course it is part of the job for all of us moderators here who answer questions).

There are certain things I look for - like how is the buffet laid out (stations or lines), how are the sightlines in the theater? Is it easy to get to the restaurants or are you likely to hit dead ends if you don't map out the route ahead of time?

I always check to see if the promenade deck (outside) fully circumnavigates the ship. I check to see if there is an adequate number of deck chairs, and adequate seating in the buffets. I check the spa to see what kind of "thermal suite" options they have. So far Holland America and Princess win in that category; HAL gives you a thelaso pool with steam baths and hot chairs; Princess has the same except the pool, but the price is much lower.

I look at the color scheme and how new the furniture seems - wear and tear, basically. I peek inside the cabins that are being cleaned just to see if they all seem to be in the same shape or if you see cabins with some better things than others. (there are some things cruise lines tell you, and some they don't exactly make press releases about).

I look inside the shops and see what kind of things they sell in case you have forgotten something. Some are good, some not so good. I would hate to forget a toothbrush and not be able to buy one.

I usually have this done on the first day for a brand new ship, but I may not do it all until the end for a ship that has been in service for awhile.
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Paul brought up a good subject dealing with the lines in the buffet areas. May-be one reason I'm a big Royal Caribbean fan is because of the way they have stations in the Windjammers. Many times, especially for lunch, I don't want to have to go through all the hot entrees to get to what I want. I love the bread and salad stations, along with the drink stations.

I hardly even encounter lines, which seems to be what cruisers think these mega ships have, its quite untrue.

I've been on too many cruises where you wait in line for up to 20 minutes just to get a simple lunch, no so when its layed out nicely.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:10 PM
First Mate

even after 5 times on Ex, i still tried to cover every inch!! (when high seas and high winds would allow!)

Gym??? really>????? HAHAHA! yeah, it's there but i have never ever ever touched any equipment there!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/megr1125
That's for my photos and videos!

And..for Enchantment OTS photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...mentOfTheSeas#

Nov/Dec 2009 Explorer B2B photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...sB2BNovDec2009#

And Explorer B2B Video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cruisermeg
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Captain

Red face Investigative Cruiser?

We tend to cruise on the same class of ship (i. e. Radiance), so we pretty much know where everything is. We've never visited the conference center - no need to - nor have I ever been in the movie theatre. We're in the fitness center every morning, so we know what that's like.

Norm
Old January 4th, 2010, 02:43 PM
First Mate

Default Roam Around

We have sailed on most class of ships, but we still look around to see the whole ship. My wife heads to library to get her a book or two and I head to the main dining room to check our seating set up. If too large we change to a smaller table. More than 8 is too large for us. Then on to Windjammer until we can get into cabin. After that we just walk around the whole ship. This is usually when I take pictures of the ship when rooms do not have people in them. Can put camera away until we hit a port.
OASIS OF THE SEAS - 10/14/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 11/4/15
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 1/11/15
Old January 4th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Sulross, its amazing how eight is just right, and ten is just too much

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 4th, 2010, 02:55 PM
First Mate

Our favorite thing is to board as early as possible to give us plenty of time to explore the ship before it gets to crowded. It is also the best time to get pictures at all the venues. I like to watch as others arrive later to see how confused everyone is as they try to find different places, by then we have been onboard for a few hours and know our way around.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old January 4th, 2010, 03:12 PM
First Mate

Default Back to Back

Will be doing a back to back later this year and that should be interesting to see all getting off and on and we are in no rush. Have never done that before so looking forward to it. No pictures to take or explore the second cruise so wife may do a spa treatment and I may just workout, with no cares.
OASIS OF THE SEAS - 10/14/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 11/4/15
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 1/11/15