Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Rate the Staff for Royal Caribbean

Each cruise line has certain things they do better than other cruise lines. Royal Caribbean has the most interesting ships for me (being a ship nerd) in terms of design and activities, but that almost makes the staff seem like less of a factor in the cruise.

So, my question is: how would you rate the staff and service in general on Royal Caribbean for the following? You can do these one at a time, just make a comment, or describe overall service comparatively to other cruise lines.

Dining Room Staff:

Food Preparation:

Housekeeping Staff:

Room Service (Overall):

Purser's Office (Passenger services):

Cruise Directors:

Activities Staff (Trivia, dance lessons, etc):

Entertainment:

Fitness Center & Spa:

Maintenance:

Gift Shops:
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Dining Room Staff: So far has always been excellent!

Food Preparation: Not big on Food so very good!

Housekeeping Staff: So far has always been excellent! If I had a request it was always taken care of.

Room Service (Overall): Never used

Purser's Office (Passenger services):Not used much but when used was very good

Cruise Directors: Some excellent and some just ok....Spacey and Chapman tied for 1st place. Andrews and Brooks tied for 2nd place.

Activities Staff (Trivia, dance lessons, etc):Always alot of fun and have some favorite activities staffers. Dance lesson everyday gotta love it!

Entertainment:Some shows excellent some not so. Ice show always very good.

Fitness Center & Spa: Don't use! I workout 6 days a week at home when on vacation I don't want to see a fitness center.

Maintenance: Had a few dealings with Maintenance and was very good. One problem that comes to mind is on the Freedom 2nd voyage toilet would not work late in the wee hours around 3am or so. Gave maintenance a call they showed up within 5 minutes.

Gift Shop: Don't use as often.

Other lines....
Celebrity Mercury - Service was very good
Carnival Victory - Service was good no complaints

When you combine the excellent crew with big beautiful ships and a ton of activities Royal gets my bookings.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old December 30th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Captain

I stay loyal to Royal because I cruise SO much (perks do add up even tough the coupon book does stink now) but I did a "Princess" cruise a couple of months ago. I thought the food was better on "Princess" but the staff was interchangeable. Not in a bad way, I just wouldn't have noticed if you switched them from one ship to the other because they were responsive and attentive on both lines. Sorry this is so general but off to book my Spring transatlantic ;>)
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:08 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Each cruise line has certain things they do better than other cruise lines. Royal Caribbean has the most interesting ships for me (being a ship nerd) in terms of design and activities, but that almost makes the staff seem like less of a factor in the cruise.

So, my question is: how would you rate the staff and service in general on Royal Caribbean for the following? You can do these one at a time, just make a comment, or describe overall service comparatively to other cruise lines.

Dining Room Staff: excelent for the most part

Food Preparation: really needs more variety and less items that seem like they were recycled from the previous night....i think the overall quality of the beef has gone way downhill...BUT we ordered the Chops filet a couple times on Explorer (yes we paid the extra 15 bucks) and it was really worth the money. my mom and i split it once...it's too much for her, and my dinner that particular night was horrible even after sending it back.

Housekeeping Staff: love them...especially our last cabin attendant...actually on the b2b we did last month they both were very accomodating and worked around us. mom spends lots of time in the cabin, so they occasionally only changed the towels and took out the trash. We probably fouled up their routine, but they were so nice. We also made a point to tell their supervisors that it was OK if they didn't do everything! didn;t want to get them in trouble. our lady last time was so cute, she'd call at the end of her AM shift if our D-N-D sign was out to see if we wanted ice! love her!

Room Service (Overall):needs more variety but, being in a full suite (our gift from the upgrade fairy and JS guarantee) spoiled us as we could order off the full MDR menus....my issue with RD is that they ALWAYS forgot something..., ie dessert fork, soup spoon, salt & pepper, sugar, etc....once they had to come back TWICE because, even after telling them what we needed, they missed something.

Purser's Office (Passenger services):
the vast majority are nice....sometimes i wish they'd have a greater sense of urgency and more follow through. one woman on Explorer last month was RUDE...her boss overheard our clnverstaion and called me later to see what happened....he proceeded to tell me to only see him....(this was Ricardo who used to be the concierge, many of us know him!) I said that he shouldn't have to be my personal crew member!

Cruise Directors: they don't make or break a cruise for me...most of them are forgettable...i don't need to know if joey bag-o-donuts is my CD or not.....i wish they'd lay off the announcements too. i only really remember a couple of them...

Activities Staff (Trivia, dance lessons, etc): again, we aren't big "joiners" so they really have no effect on me. we make our own fun! (usually by people watching and laughing at all the people who we call 'power cruisers' that have to do EVERYTHING!
also...stop with the stupid bingo and art auction announcements!

Entertainment: some is great, some guest entertainers STINK! again, last month there were 3 cabin attendants who were honestly funnier than one of the comedians! half the people in the theatre left wiithin 10 minutes! I would have preferred to listen to the 3 guys near the aft of deck 9! trust me, they were NUTS!

Fitness Center & Spa: they have this on a ship???:o
my mom did have her hair done (cut and a couple wash n styles) and she LOVED the gal who did it...this young lady was a true delight! she got engaged too!!! (her other half works on behemoth OTS!) So...i guess that, even though it's NOT cheap, sometimes you need a little pampering!

Maintenance: the maintennce crew is good...but the upkeep could be better. Witness the lack of varnish on the teak!! Come on, even Carnival does this better!! Lots of little things missing..ceiling lamp covers, etc. Some furnishings are REALLY shoddy......BUT as long as it isn't sinking, i'm ok!

Gift Shops: why even bother. the last 4 times on Ex, the shops are almost empty. even after the restocking that happens in St Thomas, they are still lacking....in the past there was LOTS of stuff to buy...now there isn't! Again, Carnival has more "junque" in their shops!!!

See above...interesting topic paul!!!

happy new year

http://community.webshots.com/user/megr1125
That's for my photos and videos!

And..for Enchantment OTS photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...mentOfTheSeas#

Nov/Dec 2009 Explorer B2B photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/mojitome...sB2BNovDec2009#

And Explorer B2B Video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cruisermeg
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thanks for replying - nice formatting.
Old December 31st, 2009, 10:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I've always found the staff and service to be overall, very good on Royal Caribbean. I think the usual cruiser is more in contact with their cabin attendant and I've always had very good service with them. We almost always have to ask for something, and its always taken care of in a reasonable amount of time.

We then have a good deal of contact with our wait staff, had some real good ones and some not so good ones, but overall, great service. One of the reasons I do go back to Royal Caribbean.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 31st, 2009, 10:32 AM
Cruise Maniac

Dining Room Staff: Overall experience excellent, although our last cruise, due to a Head Waiter we did not eat in the MDR.

Food Preparation: Good. Food warm, my only complaint it is the same menu over and over.

Housekeeping Staff: Excellent rooms are always clean.

Room Service (Overall): fair, it is 50/50 to get the order on time or correct order. This seems to be an entry level position.

Purser's Office (Passenger services): Great, they take allot of verbal abuse.

Cruise Directors: Good to Great.

Activities Staff (Trivia, dance lessons, etc):I have noticed a cut back in these activities not an increase.

Entertainment: Good to Great, once again a cut back on the venues.

Fitness Center & Spa: goo

Maintenance: We had a toilet that didn't work, someone fixed it at 3 AM.

Gift Shops: Average no great buys
Old January 5th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Passenger

Default Cabin Steward

I have only been on 1 cruise but I have to comment on Helen. I broke my toe 2 days before the cruise. This put me in the head of the line for many things like boarding and using the tender ships. They really took care of me. My cabin steward did above and beyond her duties. I had an ice pack waiting for me in the afternoon and after dinner in my cabin. When she made the bed she put a pillow at the bottom so I could prop my foot up! She was wonderful.....

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thanks CraneJWR - was that on Royal caribbean?