Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2010, 02:50 PM
First Mate

Default Mariner and Mexico questions

Less than four weeks before we leave on the Mariner so I have just a few questions. We have cruised the Mariner before out of Port Canaveral, so the first question is how long of a drive is it from LAX to the San Pedro port? Are all the Mexico ports considered to be relatively safe enough to go on our own? We do have one excursion planned while in Puerto Vallarta, a whale watching excursion, so has anyone out there done this excursion and how was it? Any must see places would also be appreciated.
The last question is a little off topic but I have noticed the many still available staterooms ( including all levels of suites, even the Royal suite) is Royal still having a difficult time filling this ship every week and what happens to the Mariner if it is no longer profitable to keep doing this itinerary?
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on the NOS and the sailing was showing plenty of empty rooms until we sailed. When we checked in they said they were full. I think they lower the prices until they fill the ship.
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:45 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalchump View Post
We were on the NOS and the sailing was showing plenty of empty rooms until we sailed. When we checked in they said they were full. I think they lower the prices until they fill the ship.

I thought they would keep lowering prices to but they have actually gone up. Our JS had reached its lowest about six weeks ago at $960 each but it has been at $1099 each for the last few weeks and when I checked over the weekend they still had all catagories of suites still available. Thought it was a little odd.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

They start to raise prices when the ship starts to fill up - that way they can soak people who want to go specifically on this cruise (join a friend or family for example). All cruise lines do this - not just RCL.

I went on this itinerary in November. I might have gone whale watching in PV if it had been the right season. I would like to hear how that turns out.

Cabo is the best place for shopping by far - you walk off the ship and be sure to go through the old section into the new section. There are nice malls with great Mexican art, etc.

Mazatlan would probably be a good beach day for you if you like that - PV is the best, but you already have a tour. We took a taxi to the shopping district (Gold Town or something) in Mazatlan and went parasailing for just $35 per person. But other than that there is very little to see in the city.
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Administrator
Admiral

As far as the ship, it has all the cool stuff of a Voyager ship. The problem is that Mexican cruise sales are slow and too many ships jumped into the market last year (Carnival Splendor and Sapphire Princess).

Next year Sapphire will be doing more Pacific cruises (Hawaii, Tahiti, Japan) so there will be less competition.

The drive from the airport to San Pedro is pretty far - 20 miles, about 30 -40 minutes depending on traffic. Are driving or taking a cab, or shuttle?
Old January 5th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

We were on Mariner last October. We have been to all 3 ports many times and have vacationed for weeks at a time at all 3 ports. They are all "safe" to do your own thing (nothing is 100% safe of course-even your own home). Cabo is the easiest to just walk around once you get off the tender. Lots of places to eat along the water. In Mazatlan, the ship is not docked in a great place to just "walk" anywhere to. You might want to go thru the shopping area at the dock - walk outside the gates and find a "Pulmonia". It is an open-air cab (sort of like a little jeep). Ask to be taken to the Golden Zone via Olas Atlas. There is shopping there and a restaurant named Panchos right on the beach that is a nice place to stop and have a drink and chips. You already have PV covered...
Have a wonderful time. We will be on Radiance in March doing the same itinerary again with 3 added ports. I love sailing the Mexican Riviera!
1979 NCL Skyward, 1981 NCL Starward, 1984 NCL Starward, 1989 Carnival Tropicale, 1989 NCL Starward, 1992 NCL Norway, 1993 Regency Regent Sea, 1995 NCL Windward, 1997 RCCL Legend, 1998 RCCL Legend, 2002 RCCL Grandeur, 2004 HAL Ryndam, 2004 RCCL Explorer, 2005 RCCL Splendour, 2005 RCCL Serenade, 2006 RCCL Vision, 2007 RCCL Freedom, 2008 RCCL Monarch, 2009 RCCL Mariner

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 5th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Vegas...

I find your post intruiguing in a good way.

The Mexican Riviera is not the most popular itinerary at all right now. My personal feeling is that the cruise lines need to develop more ports in Mexico, much as theyhave in the caribbean, from private islands to investing infrastructure like they did at Grand Turk.

Why do you like the Mexican Riviera so much. I like Cabo, but in Matzatlan, I just don't see the fun of going to the Golden Zone more than once. In PV I don't see that much to do except go to the beach.

Why do you enjoy going there repeatedly? You obviously know the ports well.
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have a timeshare in Mazatlan. Since we have been there so often, we feel it is our "2nd home". It is usually the least favorite port for most cruisers. When we cruise there with friends, we spend the day taking them to "our home", and all the places we enjoy going to when we stay there. They usually come away from Mazatlan with a more positive feeling.
In PV, we enjoy going into town and on Cuale (I think that is the spelling) just to look around. We have gone on different tours there while we have stayed there, including the jungle tour, horseback riding, ATV, etc.
I agree 100% that the cruise lines need to find more ports there. We enjoyed the HAL cruise because it went up into the Sea of Cortes, which we have not found on other cruise lines. There are lots of interesting places the cruise ships could go to. I'm so hoping the cruise lines do not pull out of the Mexican Riviera. I'm sorry the Radiance will not be there after this year.
I think I just love Mexico - most people see the "dirty and poorness" of it..I see just the beauty of it.
In fact, we are leaving next week for another week in Mexico (not a cruise).
1979 NCL Skyward, 1981 NCL Starward, 1984 NCL Starward, 1989 Carnival Tropicale, 1989 NCL Starward, 1992 NCL Norway, 1993 Regency Regent Sea, 1995 NCL Windward, 1997 RCCL Legend, 1998 RCCL Legend, 2002 RCCL Grandeur, 2004 HAL Ryndam, 2004 RCCL Explorer, 2005 RCCL Splendour, 2005 RCCL Serenade, 2006 RCCL Vision, 2007 RCCL Freedom, 2008 RCCL Monarch, 2009 RCCL Mariner

Old January 5th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I think the Radiance is not only the one of the nicest ships going down there (along with Carnival Spirit) but I also like the 4 and 5-day cruise just to Cabo (and Ensenada on 5-day).

Those smaller & newer mainstream ships (Radiance and Spirit) are the best bargains there. Holland does Sea of Cortes, but not often enough. I have not done it but I want to try it.

American Safari does it, and they do whale watching and dolphins - they say there are tons of sea mammals in there.

I was very surprised to see how Cabo has grown up - it has the best shopping I have ever seen in Mexico - far better than any Mexican port in the Caribbean.
Old January 6th, 2010, 12:40 PM
First Mate

Thanks for all the advice everybody. One last question, we are very much beach people so is Cabo a good beach port too? We will spend the day at the beach in Mazatlan and after the whale watching excursion in PV. Also is there shopping right off the ship so we can get a few quick souvenirs before boarding the ship?
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, Cabo has great beaches as well. We are not big beach people, but I believe Medano Beach is a very nice place to visit. There is also a "restaurant" named "The Office" which is on the beach and has a great reputation for good food and drinks.

There is shopping next to the ship in all 3 ports. In Cabo, you take a tender to shore and they drop you off at a "flea market". In Mazatlan, there is a shopping center off the ship (you have to take their shuttle to get anywhere off the ship). In PV, when you walk off the ship, there is a shopping area.

Plenty of opportunities for shopping!:-D

HAFUN!!