Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Beginner

Default NFL playoffs and Freedom of the Seas

Cruising on Freedom 17th - 24th. Coming from balmy MN (-1 right now) and the Vikings play at 1pm the Sunday we depart. Wondering if anyone cruising this weekend will be able to tell me if they show the NFL playoffs on the ship. We would likely try to board as early as possible to watch.
Also, it doesn't look like the Freedom class has a sports type bar on the ships? Mariner and company has the 19th hole. Anyone have knowledge of the Freedom Boat and a sports bar? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2010, 10:09 AM
First Mate

i have not been on any freedom class ships, but you should be able to see some on the nfl games. one exception my be the fox network. depending on where you are at sea they may not receive the channel. you will see some of the games.
2007 carnival liberty
2005 carnival destiny
2004 rccl radiance of the seas
2003 rccl explorer of the seas
Old January 9th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

If they are being shown on ESPN ( 1 or 2 ) you will be able to see them. I agree the Fox network may not be broadcast, but you can follow a game on their web site Fox.com by logging for about 30 seconds every five minutes or so (not as good as watching the game, I know, but still a way to keep up). I have done that before.
Old January 13th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Passenger

Anyone know what ESPN International channels the Freedom boat carries? Or if anyone was on a cruise last week, could you view the NFL playoff games.
Old January 13th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Passenger

Was on Freedom for week of Jan. 3 for Game 16 and Sat. wild card games. They do not have large screen on deck which I really missed from cruising the last two years on Carribean Princess and Carnival Freedom. The only place to watch the game is at deck 3 bar "On Air". It is more like a dark cave than a sports bar. They mostly air soccer right up to NFL time and lower a tv screen that is about 8' square to project the game. There are also a few high def. small screens spotted around the bar. If you are in the diamond club you can watch on a small screen on deck 14 private room. On the Voyager class ships this room was a public lounge/bar and usually named "19th hole". We were really disappointed with RCCL for privitizing this lounge. It was mostly only occupied by those looking for free well drinks and munchies before going someplace where there was some action.
Freedom of Seas 1/10, Carnival Freedom 1/08, Carribean Princess 1/07, Navigator of Seas 1/05, Voyager of Seas 7/04, Conquest 12/03, Explorer of Seas 1/02, Victory 12/00, Triumph 9/99, Paradise 12/99, Big Red Boat 12/94, Noordam 1/90, Volendam 5/82

Last edited by AhoyBoy; January 13th, 2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhoyBoy View Post
Was on Freedom for week of Jan. 3 for Game 16 and Sat. wild card games. They do not have large screen on deck which I really missed from cruising the last two years on Carribean Princess and Carnival Freedom. The only place to watch the game is at deck 3 bar "On Air". It is more like a dark cave than a sports bar. They mostly air soccer right up to NFL time and lower a tv screen that is about 8' square to project the game. There are also a few high def. small screens spotted around the bar. If you are in the diamond club you can watch on a small screen on deck 14 private room. On the Voyager class ships this room was a public lounge/bar and usually named "19th hole". We were really disappointed with RCCL for privitizing this lounge. It was mostly only occupied by those looking for free well drinks and munchies before going someplace where there was some action.
Thanks for the info. We'll get to the boat and hope they have it on when we board. And that is one of the more dissapointing things I now know about the Freedom Class. That 19th hole was great on mariner. I can't believe they would overlook that type of set up on the bigger ships.