Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Passenger

Default Dominica Hot Springs excursion help

1/17/10 Has anyone taken Dominica's Hot Springs tour? It makes a stop in a swimming area where warm currents mix with the cool water and then on to a Wellness village and sulphur hot springs. I'm considereing prebooking this excursion R050 for March. I don't want to get to the hot springs and find it is a muddy watering hole. I won't have any problem getting into the hot spring but if it's too hot, my husband may have a problem. I can't find any info on line. Any info would be appreciated.
70 days to we sail.

Explorer of the Sea 03/28/10
Explorer of the Sea 04/26/09
Explorer of the Sea 9/28/08
Celebrity Ships previous sailings
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Familiar Face

From what I have heard it is not really a tour - it isa devil of a hike (too much for the average 65-year old retiree) and it takes a good physical condition. They say that once you get there it is really nice though.

I could be wrong. I have seen it mentioned as a tour in "other" message boards, but my understanding is that it is a pretty steep hike - the kind insurance companies don't usually cover. That may be why you can't find out much information on it.

Seabourn 1995 - Carnival Elation 1996 - Sea Princess 1998 - Crystal Harmony 1998 - Grand Princess 1998 - Holland America Ryndam 1999 - Renaissance 2000 Oceania 2002 - Carnival Conquest 2004 - Pride of America 2005 - Emerald Princess 2006 - Crsytal Serenity June 2008
Old January 27th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Passenger

Thanks, for the info. This may be correct. The notation on the excursion states, not for pregnant, heart problems, etc. We are use to walking in a town with lots of hills but not sure if we too will have a problem if the hills are very steep. Would llove to hear from anyone who has done this excursion.

Old January 28th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Passenger

This is the exact quote from the description for the hot springs. I copied it from RC excursion that we interested in. I am a little concerned that the walk may be too difficult getting to.
" Nature lovers, come escape on this exotic excursion for a few moments of fun and relaxation. First visit the eco-tourism center of Dominica, Laudat village for an exhilarating swim at Titou Gorge, one of the sites featured in the blockbuster movie "Pirates of the Caribbean 2, Dead Man's Chest". Then enjoy a hot mineral bath at a popular location in ‘wellness' village of Wotten Waven. "

Old January 28th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I did this hike back in 1993 and it was very step and muddy. It is very possible they have built a new trail since then with steps and all, but when I did it we needed a local guide to show us the steps and give us lifts up to get over certain spots - I was used to hiking from living in Phoenix (we have lots of mountains in our local desert), but I doubt a lot of people could do what I did.

I just Googled it and I am pretty sure we went to Trafalgar Falls. It says there is now a viewing platform - and a short hike to swim in the falls. The hike may be rough, but not as bad as mine was.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 07:55 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the info. We had taken a tour of the Virgin Gorda beach area a few years back. We didn't have any problem with the path, but many people did who were a little older or not use to hiking. In your opinion, were the hot springs worth the trip? This was our second choice for an excursion. Our first choice was to see the Carib Indians. This tour was available last year when we stopped at this port. Table mates loved it. This was our first choice, but it's not offered this year.