Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 1st, 2010, 09:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default RCCL's charge for tv service in stateroom

Hello all!

Was told from some friends that on a Q and A on board the VOS they where told by the cruise director that RCI charges $3.75 per person per day for TV service in your room for channels like cnn, fox news, weather channel etc. I figured there was some sort of fee but was surprised to here it was that much per day. I would think that most cruiser's don't go on a cruise to watch TV so i wonder if someday you can opt out of having that turned on in your room at all? For a example on a 7 day cruise you could pay $52.50 for 2 people in a stateroom just for TV?? So i was just curious what you all thought about it.

Feb 2001 Majesty of the seas
March 2002 Majesty of the seas
Nov 2002 Majesty of the seas
March 2005 Explorer of the seas
March 2006 Adventure of the seas
March 2008 Freedom of the seas (Married onboard the Freedom of the Sea's)

March 2012 Freedom of the sea's
Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:17 AM
Admiral

RCCL does not charge for TV channels in your stateroom. I have never in all my years cruising with RCCL had a service charge for TV channels in my stateroom. They might have been talking about the after midnight room service charge. As i recall, the channels on RCCL ships include CNN International, ESPN, TNT, HLN, Cartoon Network, they also play movies and closed circuit TV as well.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:27 AM
Admiral

I'm sure this is not happening. Sounds more like gratuity or after hours room service. Charging a daily rate for TV would like them into more trouble than when they removed benefits. I would say you would see one heck of a lot of TV sitting in the hallway.

Mine sure would.........................................

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Never paid for TV on RCCL or any other cruise line. The only TV charge I know of is for pay per view movies....
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Same here...never heard of a TV charge. But what is new is the fee for after hours room service.
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I don't think this is the case either. The only TV that they charged for along with all the other cruiselines, is the pay for view shows, about the same as at home on your cable channels.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry to say but its already charged to your stateroom when you book your cruise... Its not on your seapass account but already like i said fiqured in with the cost of your cruise. I assure you this is happening on all rccl ship's....

Old March 1st, 2010, 11:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

so do you get your satellite service at home for free? They are not going to get that service for free like i said they just roll it in to the overall price you pay per person for the day's you are on board...

Old March 1st, 2010, 11:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
Same here...never heard of a TV charge. But what is new is the fee for after hours room service.

Mouse, so what time does the "after" hours fee start for room service. Just wondering

Old March 1st, 2010, 12:56 PM
Admiral

There is no way RCL charges for TV. You may pay $700 base for your cruise. Where they assign those $$ is whatever but there is not way there is a charge for using the TV (or not using it). I believe you friend was absolutely wrong on that one.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old March 1st, 2010, 01:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2cruiserccl View Post
Sorry to say but its already charged to your stateroom when you book your cruise... Its not on your seapass account but already like i said fiqured in with the cost of your cruise. I assure you this is happening on all rccl ship's....
In your original post, I read your post to mean you meant an EXTRA $3.95 was being charged for TV service in the cabin. Of course the TV, along with all the other basic services you use and receive on your cruise, are covered under the cruisefare you pay just to be on the cruise. That is true on EVERY cruiseline, not just RCCL. If your question is how can you get this deleted from your cruisefare, there is just no way. No cruiseline is going to start deleting TV service in the cabin in exchange for a lower cruisefare. If they started down that road, that is a slippery slope to bankruptcy for the cruiseline. "Can I cruise cheaper if I promise to only eat 2 meals a day, take 1 shower every 2 days, and not swim in the pool?"

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old March 1st, 2010, 03:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

ya i was surprised that the cruise director even mentioned it in the q and Q during a at sea day. But i guess it makes sense that you end up paying for it somehow. I guess i was not asking to have it deleted just to say that its just something that you pay for just like your stateroom, food etc.

Im sorry to say felix_the_cat but you could not be more wrong. I assure you this is happening i can say that you are absolutely wrong on this one.. Sorry Can you explain how rccl can get sat TV for free then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner View Post
In your original post, I read your post to mean you meant an EXTRA $3.95 was being charged for TV service in the cabin. Of course the TV, along with all the other basic services you use and receive on your cruise, are covered under the cruisefare you pay just to be on the cruise. That is true on EVERY cruiseline, not just RCCL. If your question is how can you get this deleted from your cruisefare, there is just no way. No cruiseline is going to start deleting TV service in the cabin in exchange for a lower cruisefare. If they started down that road, that is a slippery slope to bankruptcy for the cruiseline. "Can I cruise cheaper if I promise to only eat 2 meals a day, take 1 shower every 2 days, and not swim in the pool?"

Old March 1st, 2010, 03:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

If the cruise director did say this he was speaking foolishly. Nothing in life is free and the cruise lines know to the penny how much each item that is included in your cruise fare costs them.

They also "charge you" for the free dining room food, and they know to the penny how much they spend on food. The cruise director could have told you that figure, or how much he gets paid per passenger as well, but he didn't elucidate.

This is not the same thing as saying they add it to the base cruise fare, however. It is just one of many things they include in the cruise which they know the cost for, but they do not itemize on the final bill.

So, in this sense EVERY cruise line charges you for satellite television, and on some lines it may be a different amount, but it is not an added service fee.

The additional $3.95 room service charge applies from midnight to 5:00 a.m. - and that is for any amount of food you want delivered, but I believe it is per visit.

Old March 1st, 2010, 05:31 PM
First Mate

RCCL does not charge anything additionally for use of the TV - just returned yesterday and no such thing occured. The cruise director may have been making a joke or the individual missunderstood. As far as the comment relating to paying for it; it's part of your cruise fare along with everything else they include. Attempting to make a statement about it not being free, someone is paying for it -- really silly to say as how the line allocates the cost of your cruise fare to their fixed costs is something their finance/accounting department deals with -- truely not something you as a passenger should be concerned with.
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:47 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Well for that matter they charge you for the use of your blankets, too. They don't put it on the seapass ... but it's in there.

Oh, and the window latches? You pay every time you open a portal.

And don't even ask about using the head!

Oh sure, they don't put it on the bill ... but they just roll every flush right into the cost of the cruise.
Old March 1st, 2010, 08:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The group of men, sitting in their Royal Caribbean office in Miami, has figured everything down to the chocolates on your pillow..Oh wait, I think they subtracted that expense..!! That ends up being the cruise fare we pay...

If they decided to tack on an extra per day expense, I for one, who does watch the int'l news, and falls asleep to the tv, would be bummed;(

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 1st, 2010, 10:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Mouse, so what time does the "after" hours fee start for room service. Just wondering
I remember seeing it on our daily newsletter, I think it was 12:00am...we didn't pay to much attention 'cause we never use room service that late...but I do remember the charge catching my eye as unusual.

Oh and btw: on our last RCCL cruise there were NO chocolates on the pillows!
Double BOOOOOOOOO Just another goodie to bite the dust.
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:00 PM
Admiral

Amazing how some people can get things so screwed up--usually because they don't read the info. or don't listen to an announcement that's being made. RCCL doesn't charge you for watching t.v.unless you surf through the menu and pick out a " pay -per-view " movie or movies. RCCL isn't the only cruise line who does this--I think they all do.
If you want to get too technical, I guess there's those who would say that you're charged so much every time the toilet is flushed.
You book a cruise, it costs X dollars and you get X services so yes, you pay.
But you don't have to pay to turn on the t.v. and watch the normal channels-- again, if you choose the pay-per-view, it's exactly like it says--you pay. Don't rent the movies and you won't have to pay--pretty simple.
Yes, they have in recent months added a small fee for late night room service-- people brought this upon themselves-- kids ordering at all hours of the night and wasting food, drunks coming in at 2-3 4- a.m and ordering room service, then flopping down and passing out. Then the room service waiter walks half a mile through corridors carrying a tray, tries to discreetly tap on the door, can't get anyone to the door without waking up half the ship, carries a tray of food back the other way half a mile , all for nothing.
The charge is very nominal for those who use it and on the other hand, who needs to be eating at 2-3 a.m. anyway? I don't blame RCCL for adding a small charge for the wasted food. In my opinion, if someone orders food at 3 a.m. and it's delivered and the waiter can't get a response at the cabin, the charge should be added on the sail / sign card anyway.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:09 AM
Admiral

Well if that is the case and the cruiselines are adding All the costs and expenses for the cabin into the cruise rate then the all inclusive and hotels must be doing the same.
They need to stay in business and make a profit. The hotel chains must tally up what the expenses are for a room (water, lighting, tv, maid, washing sheets/bedding) and come up with a rate.

Cruiselines and hotels are not in business to give things away they need to make a profit to survive.
And yes we are seeing some cost cutting with the cruiselines however the rates have never been this low. Spring break cruises going for $499. is unheard of they used to be at least $899. and up.

:-D

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:09 AM
Admiral

Quote:
ya i was surprised that the cruise director even mentioned it in the q and Q during a at sea day. But i guess it makes sense that you end up paying for it somehow. I guess i was not asking to have it deleted just to say that its just something that you pay for just like your stateroom, food etc.

Im sorry to say felix_the_cat but you could not be more wrong. I assure you this is happening i can say that you are absolutely wrong on this one.. Sorry Can you explain how rccl can get sat TV for free then?
Not going to beat up on you as you obviously don't get how the billing is arrived at. I am right though and there is absolutely no "extra" charge for the TV. Your friend either wasn't listening properly or the CD was making a stupid remark - and I'm inclined to think it was a bit of both.

Of course you pay to for the TV whether you turn in on or not, just as you pay for every single thing from the minute you book the cruise prior to getting on board. To seperate it in the manner you have done is just plan silly. Every tiny little bit has a $ value on it - that's done before the cruise dates are released.

How RCL gets the TV satellite, food, personal etc is how they do their business. You/your friend are trying to break out one extremely tiny part of the whole and it just can't be done.

The TV is not an extra charge - it is part of the whole.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

I was simply just trying to explain to people what some of the little things that add up in your whole cruise price, and that its just not your stateroom and food etc. This is not quote silly its just simple fact that i was wondering if everyone knew about it. First of the CD was just trying to say what is included in your over all cruise fare and my brother in law was listening properly and this is what was said. just accept it and move on. Read your own remarks they don't even make sense. You say you don't pay then turn around and say you do.. I never said rather it was right or wrong or that i even had a problem with it, just trying to bring up a point that's all.

Quote:
I am right though and there is absolutely no "extra" charge for the TV

Of course you pay to for the TV whether you turn in on or not, just as you pay for every single thing from the minute you book the cruise prior to getting on board.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Ya i heard that you don't receive chocolates anymore that where really good. I'm not sure if every cruise line did that or not. Midnight is pretty late so i would think that for most people it would not be a big deal. Nothing better then getting room service at night before bed and sit out on your balcony and listen to the sea.. Very relaxing!! O well like you said just a goodie to bite the dust.. O well!

Quote:
I remember seeing it on our daily newsletter, I think it was 12:00am...we didn't pay to much attention 'cause we never use room service that late...but I do remember the charge catching my eye as unusual.

Oh and btw: on our last RCCL cruise there were NO chocolates on the pillows!
Double BOOOOOOOOO Just another goodie to bite the dust.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:26 AM
Familiar Face

Default Wording

Maybe what you MEANT to say was, "I heard from someone that if you broke down the whole bill, the approximate cost of a TV in a stateroom comes out to be about $3.50 per day."

I think people might have understood the point you were trying to make.

But you did start a thread that basically said "You are being charged $3.50 per day to have a TV in your stateroom."

I hope you can see the subtle different in those two sentences.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:35 AM
Captain

Default Chocolates on Pillow

Quote:
Ya i heard that you don't receive chocolates anymore that where really good. I'm not sure if every cruise line did that or not.
We were just on Celebrity, and we got the chocolates each night. We were in a Concierge Class cabin, so that may have been one of our "perks".
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

If you really want to dig into this subject in detail you should watch the CNBC special "Cruise Inc." which is a 1 hour documentary produced by Peter Greenberg.

You should be able to catch it on the CNBC web site in the "videos" section. He takes an NCL cruise and breaks down every single cost and shows how each department knows their costs, break-even points and how much they need to make each day to be profitable.

This is a solidly run industry - close $40-billion/year now. They know exactly what they are doing.

The reason I said the cruise director was making a "silly" statement is because they generally don't want misinformation to go out. The term "they charge you" for the TV service in your room is a bit misleading. But I realize cruise directors say technically incorrect things like this all the time.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:34 PM
Admiral

I just came back from Kroger's. I figured out it cost me about .35 cents for the parking spot I used.
I also figured out if we all quit cruising we can save thousands.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Phil&Liz

Quote:
so do you get your satellite service at home for free? They are not going to get that service for free like i said they just roll it in to the overall price you pay per person for the day's you are on board...
I pay for water and trash pickup, too, but I expect that is included in my fare on the ship!

Phil & Liz

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
Willie Nelson

9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Admiral

Phil&Liz: Love the quotes...especially the one by Billy Connolly
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Phil&Liz: Love the quotes...especially the one by Billy Connolly
Count me in as another fan of that quote. I think that it is super.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!